gf responsible for late mom's debt?

RoyLee

2 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

The veracity of the claim doesn't matter. If a mafia-like loan shark is threatening her to pay her dead mother's gambling debts: RUN! If she's lying that a mafia-like loan shark is threatening her to pay her dead mother's gambling debts: RUN!

You're actually lucky if she's lying. Because if the thugs threatening her find out that you're the cash cow, they will start threatening YOU.

As I said: RUN!

I think your analysis sums up my thinking best. 

I did catch her in several small lies in our brief relationship, usually about money. Whether it is part of her usual behavior or just driven by her recent desperate situation I don't know. Another red flag is that her best friend is similarly mercenary re money. My previous gf's were basically honest, as were their friends. "Birds of a feathsr".  I don't think she is a scammer and believe the gist of her story, though question some of the details. 

Recently she has tried to get my new address, so she can have the motorbike I bought for her sent to me in case she dies.  So, the loan shark will just ship the bike to me?! 

Why does this all come down to a foreigner she dated for a few months well over a year ago. Where are her friends n relatives? 

Why doesn't she just flee in the middle of the night, though she claims to be being followed.  Followed 24-7 for 2000 baht/week payment?

I continue to be amazed at the thai devotion to their parents, especially in this case. She misses her mom. If anybody put me in that situation, I would write them off forever.  

Thx for all replies.

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Absolutely, and when you have all that that from the village loan shark, don't forget to get their current business card with e-mail, SWIFT Code and all current social media and international branch addresses in case you need them again.

Thx for my first belly-laugh in this thread.  It's not like she's getting a monthly statement showing principal/interest etc.  She is not even sure of the amount, claims they are cheating her.  If her story is even half true, I would not go anywhere near these extortionists, never-mind trying to get a receipt of sorts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Odin Norway said:

If you really want to help her.Find out what the full amount actually is and pay if of in one go.She can pay you back interest free instead.

And yes the story may very well be true.

If you are going up that route, offer them half - as a full and final payment - to settle it, and get it in writing.

Archived