Thailand’s Supreme Court upholds Spaniard’s death sentence for murder

webfact

Thailand’s Supreme Court upholds Spaniard’s death sentence for murder

Spaniard-sentenced-to-death-.jpg

Artur Segarra Princep of Spain raises his hand displaying a popular Bible verse on the palm of his hand reading, “Lucas 23:34” as he arrives at the criminal court in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, April 21, 2017.(AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Thailand’s Supreme Court has upheld the death penalty imposed by the Criminal and Appeals court on a Spaniard for the murder and mutilation of a fellow countryman, whose remains were thrown into the Chao Phraya River three years ago.

According to the Supreme Court’s decision, which was read this morning (Wednesday), while the prosecutors did not have any witnesses to the murder by Artur Segarra Princep, the circumstantial evidence was sufficient to prove his guilt.

That evidence includes CCTV footage from PG condominium on Rama IX road, where the defendant was residing at the time, testimonies from a maid and his Thai girlfriend, a saw blade, a freezer and forensic evidence confirming that the DNA found on the saw and freezer matched that of the victim and the defendant.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-supreme-court-upholds-spaniards-death-sentence-for-murder/

thaipbs.jpg

With respect to the international relations to Spain and the EU, he will receive a Royal pardon, stay another few years until extradited to Spain. In Spain, once he has completed 20 years including the time in the Bangkok Hilton, he will probably be released.

Supreme Court upholds Spaniard’s conviction in Bangkok condo murder 

By The Nation

800_d23b4c47b2d0e50.jpg

Artur Segarra Princep

The Supreme Court on Wednesday (November 20) upheld the conviction of Spaniard Artur Segarra Princep in the 2016 murder of a compatriot in Bangkok.

Segarra’s lawyer said his client would apply for a royal pardon and meanwhile would appeal to the courts to have him extradited to Spain to serve time in prison there. (Spain abolished capital punishment in 1995.)

Several journalists from Spain were seeking an opportunity to speak to Segarra, 40, after the hearing.

The Criminal Court in Bangkok on May 3, 2016, sentenced him to death for premeditated murder. He was also convicted of concealment of a body, illegal confinement and theft.

Parts of a human body recovered from the Chao Phraya River near a dockyard in Bang Phlat district on January 30, 2016, proved to be those of Spanish millionaire David Bernat, a business acquaintance of Segarra. 

Segarra was arrested in Cambodia soon after and extradited to Thailand.

Prosecutors had no eyewitnesses to any of the crimes for which Segarra was accused, but won their case on the basis of circumstantial evidence, such as security camera recordings and testimony from a cleaner at a condo where the murder took place and the Thai girlfriend of the accused, together with blood on an electric grinder and in a freezer that matched the victim’s DNA.

Prosecutors said Segarra took Bernat to a room at the PG Condominium Rama IX in Huay Kwang district, murdered him, dismembered the body and dropped the pieces into the river at different locations.

The Court of Appeals upheld Segarra’s conviction and death sentence and ordered him to pay relatives the deceased Bt734,940 in compensation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378557

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-20

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

won their case on the basis of circumstantial evidence

Circumstantial that was conclusive, 

this piece of garbage should have the ability to breath removed,

It does not equate to any justice for the victim. PERIOD!

42 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Why would Spain want him back? He murdered a fellow Spaniard and mutilated his body in a gruesome way. The "circumstantial" evidence was quite conclusive. 

Because as a nation they do not believe in capital punishment, which clearly is not a deterrent or beneficial to society as a whole. The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US. Nations that do not agree with it see lower murder and crime rates. I assume the Spanish officials do not agree with another country slaughtering one of their nationals, as it doesn't comply with their ideology and laws 

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A bible verse from a murderer, he must have undergone a conversion while inside.

Luke 23:24 is the story of Jesus being taken to Pilate for trial. Maybe this guy thinks he's an incarnation of God.

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Whilst I do agree with the basic premise of your thinking here, I must point out that so many brutalities in the world today are instigated by revenge.

3 minutes ago, MakinAmericaGreatAgain said:

Of course Nancy Pelosi is sitting at home with 3 cats ???????? and smoking a cigarette next to a bottle of Hennessy or something ???? check it out it’s funny ????!!!!!!! 

https://www.facebook.com/226131044926117/posts/482970782575474?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo

How is that in any way related to this thread?

Why would I be remotely interested in what Nancy Pelosi drinks or smokes?

Are you a Russian trying to influence US politics.....again?

1 hour ago, ExpatLife said:

Because as a nation they do not believe in capital punishment, which clearly is not a deterrent or beneficial to society as a whole. The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US. Nations that do not agree with it see lower murder and crime rates. I assume the Spanish officials do not agree with another country slaughtering one of their nationals, as it doesn't comply with their ideology and laws 

However, the person executed will guaranteed NEVER have a chance to repeat his crime and if the execution is carried out quickly, the cost of housing and feeding him for untold years by taxpayers is avoided.

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Course he wants to go back to spain much better prison's i should imagine

if you allow me a purely personal remark, after the horrors he committed and who are certain and proven by the traces of blood from the victim found.

If he had managed to restrain himself from smiling on the pictures it would have been a little more decent. ☹️

1 hour ago, Senechal said:

He smiles in every photo. There's not one iota of remorse for what he did.

Interesting name Senechal! 

Well, probably he thinks or knows he did not do it. Evidence like that is always tricky.

On the other hand he perhaps thinks smiling makes him look more friendly. Difficult to judge.

If he killed him, the question is why. I don't think I ever would kill anyone but as a bad stereotype example: if I came to a raping scene were my sister is raped, I probably would kill the guy right away. If I would feel remorse later, I don't know.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Segarra’s lawyer said his client would apply for a royal pardon and meanwhile would appeal to the courts to have him extradited to Spain to serve time in prison there. (Spain abolished capital punishment in 1995.)

Hope he gets neither, no royal pardon & the courts say do your time in Thailand where the crime was committed!

Archived