Thailand’s Supreme Court upholds Spaniard’s death sentence for murder

webfact

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Whilst I do agree with the basic premise of your thinking here, I must point out that so many brutalities in the world today are instigated by revenge.

How does it deter people from offending to the maximum penalty, if a life is taken,  in a case by case basis is followed , and in this case forfeit of his life should be the penalty,

I know they did have crimes of passion in France whether that still exists today I do not know,

the mans life taken has to be equal to a life removed in this example, 

I am not for capital punishment to all, for taking life,  all factors concidered the complete encompassing facts, and in this case it warrants forfeit.

He gets to go home after so many years, serves maybe another  20 and starts applying for parole finds religion and other tree hugging  courses that show he has reformed, let out and enjoys life, the victim is forgotten out of mind, to me that is not what a fair go in life is about. Some need to be put to rest early.

3 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US.

Singapore has capital punishment and a very low rate. They use the tried and true method that criminals have a reasonable certainty of being apprehended, the punishment for crimes is severe, and carried out expeditiously.  The US has capital punishment in only 29 states.  Its effectiveness is muted because of lengthy appeals that often have those on death row dying of old age rather than execution. Last year in the USA only 25 people were executed.  

4 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Because as a nation they do not believe in capital punishment, which clearly is not a deterrent or beneficial to society as a whole. The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US. Nations that do not agree with it see lower murder and crime rates. I assume the Spanish officials do not agree with another country slaughtering one of their nationals, as it doesn't comply with their ideology and laws 

To all you anti death penalty advocates I say this, I don't care if it deters one single person from committing muder . I am just satisfied that this particular person who has caused painful and crule death will never get the satisfaction of killing anyone else.

5 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

... The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US. Nations that do not agree with it see lower murder and crime rates. ... 

Not sure what you're saying here, but I hope it's not that abolishing capital punishment leads to lower murder and crime rates. That wouldn't make sense. I'm curious about your source for this statement. The countries with the highest rates of execution are Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Vietnam, and Singapore (relative to population). There are many nations in the world (in Africa and Latin America) with much higher murder rates than these, most of which don't execute people. China, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam all have murder rates lower than Canada and France (for example). Singapore's murder rate is especially low, and it has been named (by Amnesty International) as the nation with the highest execution rate in the world (per population)… with a man to be executed there tomorrow at dawn. p.s. I'm personally opposed to capital punishment

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

How does it deter people from offending to the maximum penalty, if a life is taken,  in a case by case basis is followed , and in this case forfeit of his life should be the penalty,

I know they did have crimes of passion in France whether that still exists today I do not know,

the mans life taken has to be equal to a life removed in this example, 

I am not for capital punishment to all, for taking life,  all factors concidered the complete encompassing facts, and in this case it warrants forfeit.

He gets to go home after so many years, serves maybe another  20 and starts applying for parole finds religion and other tree hugging  courses that show he has reformed, let out and enjoys life, the victim is forgotten out of mind, to me that is not what a fair go in life is about. Some need to be put to rest early.

What you say is all true.  My question is who will decide who lives or dies?  You?

8 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Circumstantial that was conclusive, 

this piece of garbage should have the ability to breath removed,

It does not equate to any justice for the victim. PERIOD!

When you're dead...no justice of any kind...can equate to that?

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Singapore has capital punishment and a very low rate. They use the tried and true method that criminals have a reasonable certainty of being apprehended, the punishment for crimes is severe, and carried out expeditiously.  The US has capital punishment in only 29 states.  Its effectiveness is muted because of lengthy appeals that often have those on death row dying of old age rather than execution. Last year in the USA only 25 people were executed.  

And every year about 5 or more are executed unjust. Which is often already known and made public by some truth hunters, but the "regime" kills them anyway, until a few years later a court decides: it was unjust, but the victim is already dead. No idea why you want to uphold the american <deleted> justice system.

6 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Because as a nation they do not believe in capital punishment, which clearly is not a deterrent or beneficial to society as a whole. The vast majority of countries that use capital punishment have high murder snd crime rates, including the US. Nations that do not agree with it see lower murder and crime rates. I assume the Spanish officials do not agree with another country slaughtering one of their nationals, as it doesn't comply with their ideology and laws 

Capital punishment WILL certainly deter the killer from ever killing again.

I’ve yet to read about an executed killer who went on to kill again. Perhaps you know of a few who were not deterred by their execution.

But over the years, I’ve read all kinds of cases where killers who were NOT executed went on to kill again. The most sickening were those who went on to murder little children. 

The judges, juries and parole boards responsible for the monsters walking the streets should themselves face twenty years in prison. In general population. 

3 hours ago, car720 said:

What you say is all true.  My question is who will decide who lives or dies?  You?

Far from it, I would not like to be a part of such a decision, it would have to be some independent body to consider all the facts and circumstances, but if no consensus could be reached then life without parole is a must no question.

9 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Wow, wrong on about everything. 

it is absolutely a deterrent and as such it benefits society. 

4 hours ago, Enki said:

And every year about 5 or more are executed unjust. Which is often already known and made public by some truth hunters, but the "regime" kills them anyway, until a few years later a court decides: it was unjust, but the victim is already dead. No idea why you want to uphold the american <deleted> justice system.

And what system is better one with some judges in fancy hats decide or one where a jury decides and then the decision appealed through numerous courts personally I would rather take my chances with a jury

7 hours ago, Enki said:

for example? 

22 hours ago, nickstav said:

Why would Spain want him back? He murdered a fellow Spaniard and mutilated his body in a gruesome way. The "circumstantial" evidence was quite conclusive. 

It might not want him back but are morally obliged to take him because the Thai penal system is inhuman, the Thai judicial system is not fit for purpose and is corrupt and Thailand is a medieval throw back which still has capital punishnent.

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

Wow, wrong on about everything. 

it is absolutely a deterrent and as such it benefits society. 

Wrong again - at least in the US not supported by the cold hard facts on the ground. Quote:  "The murder rate in non-death penalty states has remained consistently lower than the rate in states with the death penalty and the gap has grown since 1990."   Data taken from FBI's Uniform Crime Reports

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-research/murder-rates/murder-rate-of-death-penalty-states-compared-to-non-death-penalty-stateshttps://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-research/murder-rates/murder-rate-of-death-penalty-states-compared-to-non-death-penalty-states

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It might not want him back but are morally obliged to take him because the Thai penal system is inhuman, the Thai judicial system is not fit for purpose and is corrupt and Thailand is a medieval throw back which still has capital punishnent.

If he committed the crime here then it would be up to Thailand to try him it shouldn't matter who he killed don't commit the crime if you can't do the time

20 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

When and where in the world has that ever happened? Nowhere,  never.

quite common to extradite a person for prosecution back in their home country.  a casual internet search returns numerous citizens extradited to their home countries, the USA in particular

On 11/22/2019 at 9:39 AM, traveller101 said:

Wrong again - at least in the US not supported by the cold hard facts on the ground. Quote:  "The murder rate in non-death penalty states has remained consistently lower than the rate in states with the death penalty and the gap has grown since 1990."   Data taken from FBI's Uniform Crime Reports

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-research/murder-rates/murder-rate-of-death-penalty-states-compared-to-non-death-penalty-stateshttps://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-research/murder-rates/murder-rate-of-death-penalty-states-compared-to-non-death-penalty-states

What does that prove? Nothing.

You could just as easily show countries that have the death penalty with lower murder rates. 

Archived