Recommendation for solo travel the next few weeks?

Hi all, 

Looking for recommendations on an area to explore (or a few cities/sites) for the next few weeks. I am open to anything. Budget not an issue. Will likely travel via bus/mini-bus so I can see more of the country.

I've spent a lot of time in the standard tourist spots: BK, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Hua Hin, most of the Islands. Am ready for something new.

Not really a beach guy, for what it's worth.

Just want to know a general area to point myself towards that rewards exploration and curiosity? I'm into beautiful nature, food and culture, mostly. Cooler weather would be nice, but doubting I can find it in LOS. 

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Nan is the go. Airasia has several flights a day from Bangkok, or take the bus. Car rental available at Nan airport on a good daily rate. From Nan, head north to Pua and over Doi Phu Kha to a wonderful spot in a remote valley - Boklua. Several accommodation options there along the Mang River. Now getting down to 15 or 16 degrees at night. Great mountain scenery and several national parks, plus genuine hill tribe villages. Off the Westerner tourist track. From Boklua, with a car, you could do a loop drive up to the Laos border (2.5 hours) and then down again to Pua and Nan, staying at places overnight.

53 minutes ago, Stevon said:

Khao Khor between Phetchabun and Phitsonaluk amazing scenery mountains very cool this time of year we was there 2 days ago lots of places to eat 

I am hoping to go to Khao Kho when I am next in Thailand in March. Don't know if we will be there in time to get the full "sea mist" effect but could be lucky. The gf is looking forward to it.

My suggestion would be renting a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Then do a loop CM-Lampang-Phrae-Nan-Chiang Khong-Chiang Rai-Mae Sai-Mae Salong-Fang-CM. Great mix of beautiful Thai countryside and interesting traditional Thai cities and towns. The weather up here (I live in Chiang Mai) is gorgeous right now...best time of year to explore on a bike. Just finished a one-week ride to Sukhothai through Si Satchanalai (super cool place) and Phrae and Lampang...fantastic.  Could also do this loop or most of it by public bus, but motorbike would be the best. Feel free to PM me if you're interested and have any questions.

BTW if in Nan, Nan, "supposedly" has a new route to Luang Prabang laos by bus, that takes half the time of the old land route and opened a couple months back in the rainy season. However no one seems to know much about it. 

If you are in Nan, ask around, might take the trip yourself if it is real. Luang Prabang is a great R&R break and you can reset your 90 day check ins (heh). if you find anything post it up. Many people on the forum would appreciate any information.

Cheers 

On 11/20/2019 at 2:32 PM, intheheartoftheheart said:

Am ready for something new.

i travel solo everywhere.

Kanchanaburi is good. you can take the train from Bangkok. Explore the river west all the way to the border. Rent a scooter if you are able. or they have tours.

May I suggest the train for maximum viewing of the Thai country side as you travel. You can't see anything on the horrible highways here. And MUCH safer than mini buses/vans. plus you can hang out with Thai people which is a adventure. I always carry earplugs and sound cancelling headphones. 

Train to Ubon Ratchathani from Bangkok. Stop at Korat, Buriram, Surin and then from the end of the line at Ubon Ratchathani mini van out to Two Colors river area. 

7 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

My suggestion would be renting a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Then do a loop CM-Lampang-Phrae-Nan-Chiang Khong-Chiang Rai-Mae Sai-Mae Salong

By moto is awesome...  try staying off the beaten path for an awesome experience.. we did a 1 week ride amazing

I'm into beautiful nature, food and culture, mostly. Cooler weather would be nice, but doubting I can find it in LOS. 

Would be better with your own transport (how ihave done it)  but i guess could be done with local bus's

Chiang Rai to Doi Phu Kha national park take the 101 south to  Nan than head south to Phitsanulok than head back north to Loei, than up to Chiang khan and follow the Mekong till ur bored.

The new entry point above Nan to Laos is open and used by motorcycles alot.

look on https://www.gt-rider.com/

for some ideas

Many of the routes are not accessible with regular bus's

so it helps if you have ur own transport..

They guys on gt  really know where to go and get off the tourist path...:-)

PS: if u have a couple of weeks,why not head over to Burma?  Lots of places OFF the tourist trail...

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, NCC1701A said:

Kanchanaburi is good. you can take the train from Bangkok. Explore the river west all the way to the border. Rent a scooter if you are able. or they have tours.

Kan, third largest province in Thailand, with waterfalls, two rivers and Dams. Lots to do and see.

Maps :-

https://pbase.com/win13/maps

Photos of places that I have visited around Thailand over the years:-

https://pbase.com/win13/maps&view=tree

Enjoy your trip and stay safe and sound.

Win ????

Green bus to Phayao...great food, and the lake is decent.  Good supply of affordable hotels, and a few late night BYOB clubs that rock.  

Can't take the train there, but would take the train over the van any day of the week.  Also have heard Sukothai is great.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:06 AM, gropes said:

I am hoping to go to Khao Kho when I am next in Thailand in March. Don't know if we will be there in time to get the full "sea mist" effect but could be lucky. The gf is looking forward to it.

Will be starting to get hot then, Khao Kor / Phu Ter Buk best from now till Feb.

9 hours ago, Kan Win said:

Kan, third largest province in Thailand, with waterfalls, two rivers and Dams. Lots to do and see.

Maps :-

https://pbase.com/win13/maps

Photos of places that I have visited around Thailand over the years:-

https://pbase.com/win13/maps&view=tree

Enjoy your trip and stay safe and sound.

Win ????

I've done 3 or 4 bike trips to Kan, great place, loads to see and some very cool places on the river to stay.

Ratchaburi which is a little further also very cool.

Archived