Nonthaburi Immigration requires Thai medical insurance with O-A Visa

My Thai wife and I just returned from Nonthaburi Immigration to inquire if medical insurance would be needed, since my extension of stay ends next month. I was told that my US medical insurance would not be honored and that I needed a Thai medical policy with my Non O-A Visa that I have had since 2013.

I was told that I should exit the country and apply for a Non O Visa there and that once obtained would not need the Thai medical insurance when getting an extension of stay based on marriage.

My question is, what would be the steps for me to take to handle this properly? Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

When you leave the country your current extension ends and your old O-A visa becomes irrelevant in the future.

Right... as long as he does not already have an existing SE or ME permit stamped in his passport (and he does not buy one before leaving).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

maxx58,

There are several ways of doing it. In general you could do the following:

1. You may be able to apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your existing extension expires (need to ask Ubonjoe)

2. Leave the country and then come back using 20-day visa exempt entry and apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your 30 days expiring

3. Leave the country and obtain a Non-O outside the country, then come back in

In all 3 cases, if granted the Non-O, you then would do your yearly extension in the last 30 days of the 90-day Non-O and you would need to meet the financial requirements for marriage.

9 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Right... as long as he does not already have an existing SE or ME permit stamped in his passport (and he does not buy one before leaving).

Your point is a good one although not technically correct.

When you leave — even with a re-entry permit — your extension of stay ends. If the OP gets a new visa he can use that instead of the re-entry permit when re-entering.

A re-entry permit simply gives the IO the option to give the visitor the remainder of a previously authorised stay.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

The 15 day before extension of stay expires sounds too good to be true. The IO never mentioned this option to me.

If I change the Non O-A Visa to a Non O Visa outside of Thailand, which country's Thai Embassy would be the preferred choice?

14 minutes ago, BertM said:

maxx58,

There are several ways of doing it. In general you could do the following:

1. You may be able to apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your existing extension expires (need to ask Ubonjoe)

You can’t do that. It’s not possible to change the category of a Non Imm visa in country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

When you leave — even with a re-entry permit — your extension of stay ends. If the OP gets a new visa he can use that instead of the re-entry permit when re-entering.

A re-entry permit simply gives the IO the option to give the visitor the remainder of a previously authorised stay.

Thanks for correcting me but I seem to recall (reading somewhere here on the forum) that one could not get a new Visa (or might be refused one) if they have an existing ME permit in their passport.  I do not know for sure one way or the other but I do recall reading that from someone's prior experience.

9 minutes ago, maxx58 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

The 15 day before extension of stay expires sounds too good to be true. The IO never mentioned this option to me.

Because it’s not possible.

In the past some offices have allowed extensions of O-A visas based marriage. But now that the insurance requirements — specifically for O-A visa holders — has come in I doubt many/any will do so in the future.

9 minutes ago, maxx58 said:

If I change the Non O-A Visa to a Non O Visa outside of Thailand, which country's Thai Embassy would be the preferred choice?

Vientiane, Laos (online appointment needed. Savannakhet, Laos is another good choice, but it’s busy these days.

12 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Thanks for correcting me but I seem to recall (reading somewhere here on the forum) that one could not get a new Visa (or might be refused one) if they have an existing ME permit in their passport.  I do not know for sure one way or the other but I do recall reading that from someone's prior experience.

I also was of the understanding that if someone on extension of stay leaves the country with a still-valid re-entry permit in their passport, then the Thai embassies and consulates abroad won't be willing to issue new visas while there's still a valid re-entry permit in force....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Vientiane, Laos (online appointment needed. Savannakhet, Laos is another good choice, but it’s busy these days.

What are the requirements for a non O for over 50 at Vientiane?

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Because it’s not possible.

In the past some offices have allowed extensions of O-A visas based marriage. But now that the insurance requirements — specifically for O-A visa holders — has come in I doubt many/any will do so in the future.

Doesn't an American need a Visa to enter Laos?

Ok. Let me answer my own question.

Vientiane and Savannakhet (with Chrome Translate).

Pdf for Vientiane does not even mention non O for "retirement", but the website does.

In a nutshell, apart from banked money for 3 months, Vientiane wants resume and criminal record check from home country, and Savannakhet wants letter from embassy confirming retirement status.

I stand to be corrected, and please comment.

Screenshot_20191120-121911_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191120-121736_Chrome.jpg

Non- ED & O.pdf

Edited by lkv

31 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Hi Elviajero, that's interesting!

Many posters have stated (including myself) that an application for a new Visa will be refused when you still have a valid Visa. That's common knowledge. But ALSO that you are prohibited of getting a new Visa when your Visa validity has expired, and your still valid extension of stay is kept 'alive' by a re-entry permit.  Meaning that the still valid extension of stay based on the old Visa prevents you to get a new Visa.

Are you saying that it is indeed possible to get a new Visa, even if your granted permission to stay based on the old Visa has not become voided because of the re-entry permit?

If that is the case, it would support your last statement that on re-entry the IO has then the option to stamp you in for the time the new Visa allows, or to choose to stamp you in for the remainder of the granted permission to stay from your old Visa (kept alive by the re-entry permit).

> Just want to be sure about this, as there is a flood of applications for a new O Visa expected, and the above would make a real difference WHEN you can apply for such a new Visa for those who have a re-entry permit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BertM said:

maxx58,

2. Leave the country and then come back using 20-day visa exempt entry and apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your 30 days expiring

maxx58,

Sorry for the typo. It's "come back using 30-day visa exempt entry". I'm sure you guessed that. That's how I got my Non-O in-country at Jomtien and have been on extensions ever since.

Ubonjoe, would you please clarify what happens if someone leaves LOS with a current (and valid) re-entry permit (single or multiple) in order to apply for a new Visa outside of Thailand?  There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you will qualify (or can be refused) for a new Visa with an existing re-entry permit stamped in your passport.

Also, if given a Visa in a case like this, does the I.O. at the point of re-entry into Thailand have the right to pick under which case he stamps you in (re-entry or new visa)?

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

was told that I should exit the country and apply for a Non O Visa there and that once obtained would not need the Thai medical insurance when getting an extension of stay based on marriage.

My question is, what would be the steps for me to take to handle this properly? Thanks in advance

Step 1: Go on a site like Expedia.co.th and search for a flight to either your home country or a nearby country

Step 2: Book the flight

Step 3: Pay for it

Step 4: When the flight date arrives, take a taxi or the BTS/ARL to the airport

Step 5: Check-in

Step 6: Clear & Passport Control & Immigration

Step 7: Board the aircraft at the required time

Step 8: When in your home country or a nearby country go to the Thai Embassy/Consulate

Step 9: Apply for a Non-O visa and pay the required fee

Step 10: Pick up your passport 3 business days later or whenever it's allowed

Step 11: Do Steps 1-7 again but for a flight to Thailand

Ubonjoe, would you please clarify what happens if someone leaves LOS with a current (and valid) re-entry permit (single or multiple) in order to apply for a new Visa outside of Thailand?  There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you will qualify (or can be refused) for a new Visa with an existing re-entry permit stamped in your passport.

It depends upon the embassy or consulate where you apply. Some would do it and others not.

I have read about people being denied  a visa due to a still valid extension being in a passport without a re-entry permit.

Also, if given a Visa in a case like this, does the I.O. at the point of re-entry into Thailand have the right to pick under which case he stamps you in (re-entry or new visa)?

Yes they can. Normally they would use whichever one allows the longest stay.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they can. Normally they would use whichever one allows the longest stay.

No, sorry, no way.

No Embassy will issue a visa over a valid extension of stay with re-entry.

Why should they, the applicant already has a valid permission of stay, kept alive with a re-entry permit.

Therefore, the applicant does not require a visa to enter Thailand.

Should this abnormality happen, the IO should respect the re-entry permit, as described in Section 39 of the Immigration act ("permission to return").

But this abnormality will not happen.

And people should be less concerned about how much the Lao visa costs, but more concerned if they can meet the requirements for a non O single entry for over 50 in Laos, when they are past the visa /re-entry permit expiry date.

Edited by lkv
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

What are the requirements for a non O for over 50 at Vientiane?

The OP can and should apply as the spouse of a Thai, not retirement.

Last I heard a retiree needs 800K in the bank, police clearance and medical certificates.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lkv said:

No, sorry, no way.

No Embassy will issue a visa over a valid extension of stay with re-entry.

Why should they, the applicant already has a valid permission of stay, kept alive with a re-entry permit.

Why shouldn’t they if the extension is soon to expire? The new visa would be valid for 3 months and the applicant could be using it long after the visa expired.

There wouldn’t be any point getting the new visa until the existing permit was close to expiry.

And if concerned the re-entry permit could be cancelled before leaving the country.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

You are right, if it's very close to expiry and they convince the Embassy they intend to enter after the current permission/visa expires.

But then again, the Embassy might tell them, come back in a few days, just to be safe.

Which is why it's advisable to enter the neighboring country just before expiry of the current visa/re-entry, and apply for a new visa, after the current visa/permission of stay with re-entry permit expires, to avoid any conflict.

Edited by lkv