Nonthaburi Immigration requires Thai medical insurance with O-A Visa

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

And if concerned the re-entry permit could be cancelled before leaving the country.

Hi @elviajero ,

What do you need to do to cancel a re-entry permit? 

Is simply going to a provincial IO and requesting to cancel it sufficient?

Reason I ask, is that with a re-entry permit you keep your non-expired permission to stay alive when exiting and re-entering the country. 

However - and that's the actual question - can you apply for an O Visa, with a non-expired permission to stay kept alive by a re-entry permit?  Or does the re-entry permit prohibit you from doing that?

If you can, there is no issue, but if you can't then cancelling the re-entry permit would be an option.

> The above is not theoretical, as it would mean that holders of a permission to stay based on an OA Visa who also have a ME re-entry permit are not forced to wait till the permission to stay expires, but can apply immediately for an O Visa if that better suits their planning.

Hence my question.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi @elviajero ,

What do you need to do to cancel a re-entry permit? 

Is simply going to a provincial IO and requesting to cancel it sufficient?

Yes. Or if it was issued at the airport you could cancel it there. The airport might cancel permits issued elsewhere too, but don't know the policy on that.

Reason I ask, is that with a re-entry permit you keep your non-expired permission to stay alive when exiting and re-entering the country. 

That's technically wrong. Your stay ends when you leave. When you re-enter - with a re-entry permit - you are given a new Stay Permit and the IO can stamp you in for the remainder of the previously authorised stay.

However - and that's the actual question - can you apply for an O Visa, with a non-expired permission to stay kept alive by a re-entry permit?  Or does the re-entry permit prohibit you from doing that?

There is no reason why not. 

If you can, there is no issue, but if you can't then cancelling the re-entry permit would be an option.

> The above is not theoretical, as it would mean that holders of a permission to stay based on an OA Visa who also have a ME re-entry permit are not forced to wait till the permission to stay expires, but can apply immediately for an O Visa if that better suits their planning.

Hence my question.

I don't see any advantage in leaving and applying for a new O until shortly before the O-A stay permit expires.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you saying that it is indeed possible to get a new Visa, even if your granted permission to stay based on the old Visa has not become voided because of the re-entry permit?

No problem to do this. When coming back into Thailand, write the new visa number (and not the reentry permit number) on the TM6 form. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

I don't see any advantage in leaving and applying for a new O until shortly before the O-A stay permit expires.

Yes, that's correct.

I was under the false impression that with a re-entry permit you were forced to 'wait out' the full permission to stay, before being able to apply for a new Visa.

But your crystal-clear response clarified that it does not, and that gives some flexibility in timing when applying for a new Visa.  And indeed, waiting until shortly before expiry is the choice of preference.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

No problem to do this. When coming back into Thailand, write the new visa number (and not the reentry permit number) on the TM6 form. 

The real issue isn't which type of entry Immigration at the border would stamp you in on...

The issue is...will the Thai embassy/consulates abroad be willing to stamp a new visa in a person's passport who still has a valid extension of stay kept alive by a valid re-entry permit.

And as I read UJ's answer on that question on the prior page, he seemed to be saying some might, and others would not.

That's not quite the same answer as the "no problem" answers Elviajero has been giving here on the same question.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The issue is...will the Thai embassy/consulates abroad be willing to stamp a new visa in a person's passport who still has a valid extension of stay kept alive by a valid re-entry permit.

The London Embassy has issued a new visa for me in the past when I had a remaining few months permission to stay and a reentry permit. This was before the e-visa system was introduced, not sure if that would have made a difference. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

But now that the insurance requirements — specifically for O-A visa holders — has come in I doubt many/any will do so in the future.

Including those who have previously held marriage extensions based on an original O-A Permission (ie renewals)? A little worrying. 

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The London Embassy has issued a new visa for me in the past when I had a remaining few months permission to stay and a reentry permit. This was before the e-visa system was introduced, not sure if that would have made a difference. 

What type of new visa have they issued, how do you define "a few months", and when was the intended date of travel?

Edited by lkv

On 11/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, elviajero said:

Vientiane, Laos (online appointment needed. Savannakhet, Laos is another good choice, but it’s busy these days.

@maxx58 might also wish to consider Hoh Chi Minh City, Vietnam for his new non-O visa if he is prepared to travel a little further afield. No appointment needed there.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

The Thai government has certainly gone out of their way this time to let all "Farangs" know that you are not wanted here. There are going to be many people here over the age limit for health insurance or have not got the funds to insure themselves. I have not reached the 75 mark yet, however, put yourself in those peoples shoes, do you really think they want to go through all this BS at their age, really, border crossing, apply for this, apply for that, download this app , download that app, what a crock of sh@#$t. Wake up guys this isn't the LOS anymore, more like LOS (land of stress). Starting to run out of patience with Thai mentality.

• Like 1

So it is confirmed that the police order is being interpreted by the Thai immigration officials at several offices to mean that getting an extension if on an OA visa originally will require Thai medical insurance. 

Has anybody this month gotten a retirement extension who was originally on an OA visa and not been told to get Thai insurance? 

Just wondering when and if this need for insurance really will be Thailand wide for all extensions on existing OA visas.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, BertM said:

maxx58,

There are several ways of doing it. In general you could do the following:

1. You may be able to apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your existing extension expires (need to ask Ubonjoe)

2. Leave the country and then come back using 20-day visa exempt entry and apply for Non-O in-country 15 days prior to your 30 days expiring

3. Leave the country and obtain a Non-O outside the country, then come back in

In all 3 cases, if granted the Non-O, you then would do your yearly extension in the last 30 days of the 90-day Non-O and you would need to meet the financial requirements for marriage.

1. Not possible.

3 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

That seems to be the case (at least at this point in time). 

I think you need to distinguish between two different groups of folks.

1. people on pre Oct 31 O-As entering Thailand at borders post Oct. 31 on the basis of still valid O-As.  After a bit of confusions at the outset, now most reports seems to say those folks are NOT being required to show insurance.

2. people with past (now expired) O-As who are now on retirement extensions and going to Immigration in country to do their annual extension applications. From all the posts I'm seeing, it's that group of folks are ARE being told they will require insurance in order to apply for a new extension.

PS - there's of course a third group of folks, those now and for the future entering Thailand via borders with POST Oct. 31 O-As. And I'd say, it's pretty well a certainty that those folks are only being issued new O-As at the embassies and consulates because they've shown proof of the required insurance.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

1. Not possible.

Yes, I kind of figured that, that is why I said "may" and to check with Ubonjoe. So the man will have to leave the country, but could come back in on 30-day visa exempt and start over with Non-O.

Item 2 is what I did. I came in first time on 30-day visa exempt and got a 90-day Non-O based on retirement and a 1-year extension at Jomtien.

Edited by BertM

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you need to distinguish between two different groups of folks.

1. people on pre Oct 31 O-As entering Thailand at borders post Oct. 31 on the basis of still valid O-As.  After a bit of confusions at the outset, now most reports seems to say those folks are NOT being required to show insurance.

2. people with past (now expired) O-As who are now on retirement extensions and going to Immigration in country to do their annual extension applications. From all the posts I'm seeing, it's that group of folks are ARE being told they will require insurance in order to apply for a new extension.

PS - there's of course a third group of folks, those now and for the future entering Thailand via borders with POST Oct. 31 O-As. And I'd say, it's pretty well a certainty that those folks are only being issued new O-As at the embassies and consulates because they've shown proof of the required insurance.

Right but I believe he was only inquiring about those applying for an extension (based on a prior O-A entry as you mentioned in #2). 

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

@maxx58 might also wish to consider Hoh Chi Minh City, Vietnam for his new non-O visa if he is prepared to travel a little further afield. No appointment needed there.

Sounds good.

I think that I will go to HCMC.

Thanks for the suggestion.

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a short letter from you wife requesting they issue the non-o visa to you.

Marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

The fee is $80 for the visa. They only accept USD for the fees.

Vietnam e-Visas will cost you a flat fee of $25 USD for a 30-day, SINGLE-ENTRY visa. 

https://www.travelcodex.com/vietnam-introduces-e-visas-for-u-s-citizens/

55 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a short letter from you wife requesting they issue the non-o visa to you.

Marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

The fee is $80 for the visa. They only accept USD for the fees.

Surprised that no financials are required.

will have wife call to verify.

1 hour ago, maxx58 said:

Also, do not forget that a visa acceptance letter is needed to enter Vietnam.

Both the letter and e-visa can be done online.

One does not need a "letter" if one applies for an e-visa directly from the Vietnamese government website:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

The letter is only required if one wants to get a VOA (visa on arrival) which is not an e-visa.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Thanks 1

The recent health insurance debacle just goes to show who is running this country and its not the government, its the handful of mega rich Thai families and by the way, guess who owns all the Thai health insurance companies.? This has nothing to do with expats owing millions of Barht to Hospitals, it just an excuse to scam money from "farangs". The Thai government and their cronies have certainly gone out of their way this time to let all "Farangs" know that they are not welcome here unless they have big money. There are going to be thousands of people here over the age limit for health insurance or have not got the funds to insure themselves, not to mention they have lived here for 10,15,20 years with house and family and a way of life.. I have not reached the 75 mark yet, however, put yourself in those peoples shoes, do you really think they want to go through all this BS at their age, really, conduct border crossings, apply for this visa, apply for that visa, download this app , download that app, what a crock of sh@#$t. Wake up guys this isn't the LOS anymore, more like LOS (land of stress). Starting to run out of patience with Thai mentality.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

One does not need a "letter" if one applies for an e-visa directly from the Vietnamese government website:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

The letter is only required if one wants to get a VOA (visa on arrival) which is not an e-visa.

The letter they are talking about is for the personnel at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Vietnam requesting the Non O visa for her spouse for entry into Thailand...

3 hours ago, maxx58 said:

Also, do not forget that a visa acceptance letter is needed to enter Vietnam.

Both the letter and e-visa can be done online.

You're not applying for a 30 days eVisa. And no letter needed. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1