Thai court disqualifies rising opposition party leader Thanathorn as MP

webfact

Thai court disqualifies rising opposition party leader as MP

2019-11-20T082049Z_1_LYNXMPEFAJ0O9_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ELECTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party, speaks during a news conference at his party headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand, March 25, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's Constitutional Court on Wednesday disqualified the leader of an opposition party and fierce government critic from parliament after finding him guilty of violating election law.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, 40, the leader of the Future Forward Party, was found guilty of holding shares in a media company after registering his candidacy for an election earlier this year to formally end five years of military rule.

Thanathorn is a strong opponent of the army's role in politics and his new party came in a surprise third in the March election.

Future Forward is part of an opposition alliance that disputed the vote count and accused the army of writing the electoral rules to ensure that Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the former military junta leader, would remain in power.

(Reporting by Saowanee Ekpunyacha; Writing by Kay Johnson; Editing by Matthew Tostevin)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai court bars rising opposition leader from parliament

By Saowanee Ekpunyachai

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's Constitutional Court on Wednesday disqualified outspoken opposition party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit as a member of parliament after finding him guilty of violating election law.

Thanathorn, 40, the leader of the progressive Future Forward Party, has emerged as one of the most prominent opponents of a government headed by former junta ruler Prayuth Chan-ocha after the new opposition party came a surprise third in an election in March.

The Constitutional Court found Thanathorn guilty of holding shares in a media company after registering his candidacy for the election to formally end five years of military rule.

In its ruling, the court said the evidence against Thanathorn outweighed that in his favour.

Thanathorn had denied the accusation, saying he transferred his shares before beginning the campaign.

Thanathorn has been a fierce critic of the army's involvement in politics and did particularly well among young voters in the election from which the pro-military party was declared the winner after a disputed ballot count.

Ahead of the court ruling Thanathorn thanked supporters at the court and said: "The Future Forward Party is a journey... All of us will continue fighting and keep moving forward.

Future Forward is part of an opposition alliance that disputed the vote count and accused the army of writing the electoral rules to ensure that Prayuth, the former military leader, would remain as prime minister.

The court had earlier suspended Thanathorn from parliament pending the verdict to this case.

Thanathorn’s party won 80 out of 500 available seats in the Lower House of the Thai parliament.

The Future Forward leader also faces two criminal charges, one for computer crime for a speech he posted on Facebook criticising the junta last year, and another for sedition for allegedly aiding anti-junta protesters in 2015.

(Editing by Matthew Tostevin & Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-20

not unexpected but definitely not a good judgement, if the facts as were stated were correct he was ok to do what he did, pressure has obviously been used here to get the required result and stop FF from taking over thai politics

We all saw this coming a million miles away - and predicted it again and again and again.

Thailand is completely lost now.

And the Thais have let it all happen without even a multi-million-fold whimper ...

(Some people will say, as they have constantly optimistically claimed: 'Just you wait now -   millions of Thais will rise up and voice their furiois protests.' To which I reply: 'Yes, just as we were told that they would do in 2015, in 2016, in 2017, in 2018, in all of 2019 - yeah, sure - and I've got some beautiful, exclusive lakeside property I can sell you on the sunny side of Neptune!').

It's funny isn't it, how every sort of ruling in cases like this, is a foregone conclusion. The guys on the government side always get off, or wriggle away, while those in opposition get nailed every time. The courts here have about zero credibility.

Sad but predictable

The old guard are liars cheats and scared to death of losing their power

This guy was a thorn in their side in short they are scared so they fix the law

Hopefully Their day will come if theres a new generation waiting who hopefully wont toe the line like their predecessors

We shall see ?

30 minutes ago, seajae said:

not unexpected but definitely not a good judgement, if the facts as were stated were correct he was ok to do what he did, pressure has obviously been used here to get the required result and stop FF from taking over thai politics

I doubt there was any "pressure" involved in this case. It's just how things work here. (See post #7 in this thread.)

21 minutes ago, Eligius said:

We all saw this coming a million miles away - and predicted it again and again and again.

And the Thais have let it all happen without even a multi-million-fold whimper ...

(Some people will say, as they have constantly optimistically claimed: 'Just you wait now -   millions of Thais will rise up and voice their furiois protests.' To which I reply: 'Yes, just as we were told that they would do in 2015, in 2016, in 2017, in 2018, in all of 2019 - yeah, sure - and I've got some beautiful, exclusive lakeside property I can sell you on the sunny side of Neptune!').

While I mostly agree with what you say, there was a group of ticked-off folks who came down to riot in Bangkok just a few years ago (while Abhisit and his Democrat party were briefly given the reins). Instead of being dispersed by water-cannons and tear-gas, they were met with snipers.

I'm afraid, in order to affect real change in this country, we'll have to see bloodshed on an epic scale; a true civil-war not too unlike that fought in the US 150 yrs. ago. Having said that, there's also the possibility that once the older generation dies off, and the newer/younger, social-media literate generation become the majority, that a positive change comes about more organically. However the change takes place, it will have to be a radical one from the current feudal state of affairs.

Meanwhile, in order to be eligible to be an MP or even attain a ministerial post it seems totally okay and above board to be a former convicted heroin dealer, or have amassed an expensive wrist watch collection from obscure sources, or have your family and friends hold your company shares as proxies... as long as you are with the right party. 

13 minutes ago, Creasy said:

Hypocritical and Pathetic  government

And a court full of judges who know no shame. Who are not upholders of justice. Who do not care for the country. Who do not respect the laws they claim to uphold. Who do not even consider intent. How they can look in the mirror without being ashamed by what they have become is beyond comprehension.

Want to express myself the way I actually feel about the whole matter but with all the words <deleted>, it would be unintelligible.     

I don't think you have seen the last of this guy and his party. He can live without being an MP and still develope his party. I remember he spoke of his election result being part of a long strategy as if he half expected he'd have to fight in the courts. The decision will certainly work well in terms of his popularity at the next election and he doesn't need to be an MP to be a PM.

11 minutes ago, somo said:

I don't think you have seen the last of this guy and his party. He can live without being an MP and still develope his party. I remember he spoke of his election result being part of a long strategy as if he half expected he'd have to fight in the courts. The decision will certainly work well in terms of his popularity at the next election and he doesn't need to be an MP to be a PM.

The next stage they can ban him from politics for 20 years and sentence him upto 10 years in prison. On top of that many other charges including trumped up sedition, I think he will get the full treatment and will probably soon be forced to live in exile as other opponents to the Junta have in recent times.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

It has never been the regular everyday Thai to rise up it has been the students and better educated. I guess Thanathorn is not important enough to put your life on the line for. How many died in 1991 I believe it was.

12 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

What democracy? Has there been democracy before today? I doubt it. Just because the powers in charge use that word ad nauseam doesn't mean they're also practicing it.

Well I do disagree but if you don't believe it's up to you.

Archived