Thai court disqualifies rising opposition party leader Thanathorn as MP

webfact

54 minutes ago, somo said:

I don't think you have seen the last of this guy and his party. He can live without being an MP and still develope his party. I remember he spoke of his election result being part of a long strategy as if he half expected he'd have to fight in the courts. The decision will certainly work well in terms of his popularity at the next election and he doesn't need to be an MP to be a PM.

I agree with you, Somo, that we have certainly not heard the last of Thanathorn. He is a rare, courageous and talented Thai. I have never seen his like in Thai politics before.

BUT I am afraid that however impressive Thanathorn is as a human being and however much support he might garner from the (young) Thais, the next election will be even more stitched up than the last. The junta will no-way allow themselves to have a similar tiny majority (albeit even that was rigged) in parliament again.

No, there is NO possibility of democracy in Thailand now for years and years and years to come. It does not matter what the Thai people say or grumble about on Twitter or Facebook, or vote for in the ballot box: the junta don't give a stuff about any of that.

When you are sitting surrounded by massive fire-power and have very high backing, you don't give a toss about what the peasants might think or say (or even the students).

The only thing that might terrify the junta is ..... well, I can't be bothered to spell it out. You know what it is - and it ain't going to happen!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The better men always struggle in thailand as all the cheats, drug dealers, murderers, graft professionals run all the systems .

Country really is in a sad state.

Far far worse cheating, lies and corruption than anything under the previous 2 exiled PM's .

3 hours ago, robblok said:

IMHO 

an unfair ruling but almost to be expected. If the proof Thanathorn gave to the media was real (can never be sure) then its unfair and a bad ruling.

But they really wanted him gone so this is not unexpected.

Why would it be unfair now? You have always supported the government and its courts even through the military takeover in 2014? Nothing has changed and the courts must be even more trustworthy now.

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

We all saw this coming a million miles away - and predicted it again and again and again.

Thailand is completely lost now.

And the Thais have let it all happen without even a multi-million-fold whimper ...

(Some people will say, as they have constantly optimistically claimed: 'Just you wait now -   millions of Thais will rise up and voice their furiois protests.' To which I reply: 'Yes, just as we were told that they would do in 2015, in 2016, in 2017, in 2018, in all of 2019 - yeah, sure - and I've got some beautiful, exclusive lakeside property I can sell you on the sunny side of Neptune!').

In what way have you expressed your outrage apart from a little known expat website ? Or is it you want others to risk prison for you ? 

Rip Thailand. It was to be expected, Thanathorn still has about 25 other cases against him so further attempts to kill off Anakot Mai are to be expected.

Since 1932 Thailand barely had any democracy,  any few attempts violently suppressed by the army.  The voice if the people is perceived as a threat to those HiSo people. Can't have silly parties who want democracy,  reduce the size of the army, put all people under the constitution etc. That would be taking away the toys and privileges of those up high. It will be a long long struggle before Thailand will obtain democracy and true and just rulings of law. 

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

Why would it be unfair now? You have always supported the government and its courts even through the military takeover in 2014? Nothing has changed and the courts must be even more trustworthy now.

I have not always supported this government and some rulings were fair especially about the fake G2G deals and others but in this case its not fair.

I have stopped supporting the government long ago. Maybe you were sleeping.

44 minutes ago, thequietman said:

You do know that the party voted against something that can't be mentioned, so I would say considerable pressure came to bear.

I don't think you understood the context of my comment. I was responding to user "seajae" in post #4:

"not unexpected but definitely not a good judgement, if the facts as were stated were correct he was ok to do what he did, pressure has obviously been used here to get the required result and stop FF from taking over thai politics". (Emphasis mine.)

I'm assuming from that post, that he was stating that some sort of pressure was placed on the judges to render this decision. My response, "I doubt there was any "pressure" involved in this case. It's just how things work here." was simply a statement that the court system and judges, are one of the tools used by the ruling class here to maintain their hold on power, so they were just doing what they were supposed to do. No pressure needed.

It doesn't matter what Thanatorn did or did not do, nor does the legality of it matter. He's a threat and has to be eliminated.

2 hours ago, BuckBee said:

The better men always struggle in thailand as all the cheats, drug dealers, murderers, graft professionals run all the systems .

Country really is in a sad state.

Far far worse cheating, lies and corruption than anything under the previous 2 exiled PM's .

But, but, Thaksin was corrupt!

5 hours ago, monkfish said:

Well I do disagree but if you don't believe it's up to you.

When?

The military took over.

Thailand became a military dictatorship.

There were elections.

But the same faces are still there. Half of them are general <deleted>.

And on top of that there are some generals walking around who think it is necessary to threaten with military intervention if something happens that they don't like.

Where do you see democracy?

2 hours ago, champers said:

The BBC are running the story on their news website. Governments tend to observe and only speak after the event. I hope international pressure makes an impact but I will not hold my breath. 

As long as they keeping buying the weapons and don't do a Tiannemen Square they'll be fine.  

14 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I guess it's better than 40 years on a trumped up charge or being killed by suicide. No real point having this farce of democracy at all.

I entirely agree. What really pi$$es me off is all foreign governments are fully aware of the election fraud and all our ambassadors at the first opportunity bowed down before the Commander in Chief crediting Bozo with returning democracy.

7 minutes ago, Nip said:

I entirely agree. What really pi$$es me off is all foreign governments are fully aware of the election fraud and all our ambassadors at the first opportunity bowed down before the Commander in Chief crediting Bozo with returning democracy.

History repeats, as in the Cold War it's convenient to overlook these things as it may be for the common good. The Thais may be useful in dealing with the Asian giant China  in whatever form that action might take . 

The only ones who violated election law were the army in their desperate bid, to cling to power. With the disgraceful re-writing of the constitution they assured this outcome, even though the majority voted against them. 

Of course they will use the corrupt courts to keep the FFP out of a position of power. That is simply who they are. Respect for the will of the people? Not as long as Prayuth and the useless army are in power. 

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I have not always supported this government and some rulings were fair especially about the fake G2G deals and others but in this case its not fair.

I have stopped supporting the government long ago. Maybe you were sleeping.

Yes, you did change after about four years of pro-coup daily posts. The evidence is in the archives for those who wish to go back and find it. We still suffer the effects of those who supported or were apathetic to this regime. Thanatorn is one of the latest victims. There will be more. I hope those who supported this fascism in the past are now willing to support the people and stop making excuses for human rights abusers.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

also faces two criminal charges, one for computer crime for a speech he posted on Facebook criticising the junta last year, and another for sedition

It's methodical, first strip him of MP status and associated immunity, then proceed with other charges. And there is no one to do this: :1zgarz5:

Thailand has a big friend up North whom they can rely on despite world opinion. why should they be too concerned about moving toward Democracy.  also the U.S. that beacon of Democracy, that shinning city on the hill stands silent.  shameful.  it does not in the U.S. interest to sanction Thailand.

Seems Thailand with its Military Government (still in office) is joining Myanmar and Cambodia in keeping any opposition silent and ineffective at any cost. Truly bad for the citizens and will come back to haunt them at some future time.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

What only happens here? How does this case compare to what's happening to Prince Andrew right now?  

God does everything have to be spelt out on here - the subject matter being bias shown towards or by people in high places 

Archived