Thai court disqualifies rising opposition party leader Thanathorn as MP

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's funny isn't it, how every sort of ruling in cases like this, is a foregone conclusion. The guys on the government side always get off, or wriggle away, while those in opposition get nailed every time. The courts here have about zero credibility.

The Constitutional Court's members were hand picked by Prayut. They have not once decided any issue not in his favor. A farce and a travesty of justice, but totally expected. Now they're going to try to jail him for 1,000 years for sedition. Any bets on them dissolving Future Forward?

20 hours ago, robblok said:

IMHO 

an unfair ruling but almost to be expected. If the proof Thanathorn gave to the media was real (can never be sure) then its unfair and a bad ruling.

But they really wanted him gone so this is not unexpected.

I agree with you. And I'm afraid to see him in jail one day or he will be forced to leave the country instead. ????

20 hours ago, robblok said:

IMHO 

an unfair ruling but almost to be expected. If the proof Thanathorn gave to the media was real (can never be sure) then its unfair and a bad ruling.

This will always be the same whilst public officers, of all levels and disciplines, are allowed the final say in how they apply any rules and laws in each individual case.

They can choose to believe the most absurd stories or not to believe what seems as plain as daylight, as they wish.

But it's been designed this way and clearly favors whose in power at the time.

In any normal place, it would be very easy to check share ownership and transfer dates if the transfer was done through the share register and/or stock exchange system. But here it's all seemingly a big mystery.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

That is why i said if the the proof was there in the media he said he had it. Else its not unfair nut by the book.

Bias and politically motivated for sure but if he did not have the documents then its his fault.

I like him too he the best

He had the docs. There is NO requirement by law to inform the transfer office before the annual reporting when all share transfers are reported. The media company did not 'restart' and he is found 'guilty' over something that 'might happen'?  The company had not traded for a year or more AND there are loads of other MP's who did the same including 32 in the government. Unbelievable. 

21 hours ago, robblok said:

IMHO 

You might say....kinda like stating the obvious.

36 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

He had the docs. There is NO requirement by law to inform the transfer office before the annual reporting when all share transfers are reported. The media company did not 'restart' and he is found 'guilty' over something that 'might happen'?  The company had not traded for a year or more AND there are loads of other MP's who did the same including 32 in the government. Unbelievable. 

There is also the matter of intent. To totally disregard intent in instances such as this beggars belief. What is the intention of the law in this particular case? It is to stop people with interests in publishing companies using their position to malign others or to promote themselves when running for parliament. It really is not possible if the 'publication' is no longer published, regardless of the fact that it published a travel magazine - not news. So clearly the intent is not there. 

There was nothing to be heard in this case at all. It was frivolous to the extreme. However, if they apply the same consideration to all the other MPs who hold shares, or are married to shareholders, in companies whose articles of association list businesses including publishing, they must also lose their MP status because it has been shown that intent is not required. 

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed

A post using vulgar has been removed. 

Some troll posts and replies were removed. 

5 hours ago, JAG said:

Oh I don't think any of "our governments" are interested - they are under no illusions about how Thailand is run and regard it as a joke. The change, however it will be effected, will come from within the country. I continue to think it will happen. It may take a long time, but when the tipping point is eventually reached things will move rapidly.

And you can easily point to the USSR and Warsaw Pact countries by way of an example. From business as usual to collapse in what was it, six months?

Yet I just can't see what the catalyst would be for such a collapse in Thailand. Thaksin and the red shirts - smashed. A Very Important Event - Absolutely nothing happened. If you have any theories, I am all ears...

1 minute ago, baboon said:

And you can easily point to the USSR and Warsaw Pact countries by way of an example. From business as usual to collapse in what was it, six months?

Yet I just can't see what the catalyst would be for such a collapse in Thailand. Thaksin and the red shirts - smashed. A Very Important Event - Absolutely nothing happened. If you have any theories, I am all ears...

I thought that it might have been if Yingluck was imprisoned- maybe the then Junta thought so as well, perhaps that is why they "offered her an out" rather than jailed her. I thought it might come when the scale of the shenanigans in the elections became apparent, but I was wrong. The thing about catalysts (remembering my O level Chemistry) is that they are often a fairly insignificant thing. I can't predict what the catalyst will be, but with the demographic and socio-economic changes spreading through this society I am sure, sooner or later , it will happen. Probably because somebody will do something so stupid and irresponsible that opinion will snap. What that may be I don't know. I have some theories who it may be but...

9 minutes ago, baboon said:

It won't happen, Baboon - it won't happen!

To think it will is to live in cloud cuckoo land and is to deny daily constant reality - the reality of the present  cowed or apathetic Thai people (not the heroes of the past). 

It won't happen in 10 or even 20 years. The militarists know their 'enemy' and their collective level of guts (or lack of); the militarists have studied their enemy very carefully for decades, especially over these past six long years, and they know that they can now get away with ANYTHING.

Are we not seeing this on a daily basis?

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

I thought that it might have been if Yingluck was imprisoned- maybe the then Junta thought so as well, perhaps that is why they "offered her an out" rather than jailed her. I thought it might come when the scale of the shenanigans in the elections became apparent, but I was wrong. The thing about catalysts (remembering my O level Chemistry) is that they are often a fairly insignificant thing. I can't predict what the catalyst will be, but with the demographic and socio-economic changes spreading through this society I am sure, sooner or later , it will happen. Probably because somebody will do something so stupid and irresponsible that opinion will snap. What that may be I don't know. I have some theories who it may be but...

I very much look forward to buying you a pint on the day you get to post 'See? I told you so'. Nobody wants you to be correct more than me.

14 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Another nail in the coffin of Thai democracy with a people not educated,bright or aware enough, nor with sufficient guts (like those in HK) to stop themselves sleepwalking into an ever tightening dictatorship.

They have already tried, but were gunned down like mad dogs by the fully armed military who even shot and killed a nurse in a temple.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Rule by guns or rule by crooked rulings. It really doesn't matter to this crowd. RULE is the operative word here, the only word that counts.

I have been informed that there already is a military officer who is slowly gaining the strength and support to have yet another coup.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, seajae said:

not unexpected but definitely not a good judgement, if the facts as were stated were correct he was ok to do what he did, pressure has obviously been used here to get the required result and stop FF from taking over thai politics

Once upon a time in clean and green NZ they sacked the mine workers at Waihi, the government sacked the wharfies, then locked the workers out and brought in scab workers.

Then they arrested the locked out workers for sedition for crying that scab word out.

They sent a train to Waihi and filled it with the workers and ran them out of town, the police even shot one worker dead who had locked himself in his miners cottage.

A long, long time ago, so! a backward step being practiced today in LOS.

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I have been informed that there already is a military officer who is slowly gaining the strength and support to have yet another coup.

Very unlikely now that YKW has two personal brigades.  The power elite approves of and supports the military and will never bring them to heel....unlike in the past.

16 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Once upon a time in clean and green NZ they sacked the mine workers at Waihi, the government sacked the wharfies, then locked the workers out and brought in scab workers.

Then they arrested the locked out workers for sedition for crying that scab word out.

They sent a train to Waihi and filled it with the workers and ran them out of town, the police even shot one worker dead who had locked himself in his miners cottage.

A long, long time ago, so! a backward step being practiced today in LOS.

And...? So what? Name me a modern country in the world that does not have a similar history. The UK army has killed dozens of peaceful protesters and it is estimated twenty thousand activists were killed in the USA before WW2.

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Even if that is true, he did good things for his people and Thailand, unlike the present mob and leader who only have consideration for his hi-so class and the military.

If you carefully read the post I was responding to, and my comment/response, you'll see I was being sarcastic.

Hint, the repeated "but, but" was used as something typical of the military apologists.

Archived