BANGKOK
lemonwaterjoe

Too many Entries? Don't panic! Stop the scaremongering!

3 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

If , like me, you come for 3 months, go home for 2 months, on a cycle, then who knows?

Since when are you doing so and what kind of Visa you use if I may ask?

12 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

They just want people to have the right visa. If you are living in Thailand they want you to have a long term visa. etc.

Exactly!

12 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If the situation gets really bad there will be problems with the airlines because they are on the hook for a return flight so they will require thai visa's for travelers. This would be seriously hurt tourism.

I guess so far the amount of people "not let in" must be far too small compared to the amount of people that are "let in". Training and checking employes for checking proper visas and/or installing software to look this up at hundreds of airports most likely cost a lot of more money than flying back the few that aren't let in. Beside that: if you are not let in you need to buy or pay for your return ticket anyway, so the airline is not losing any money here.

I know someone who comes to Thailand 3 or 4 times a month on a VE. But each time he stays only 1 day. Sometimes 2. He never had a problem.  

Your examples are also below the 180 days a year.

47 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If the situation gets really bad there will be problems with the airlines because they are on the hook for a return flight so they will require thai visa's for travelers. This would be seriously hurt tourism.

A couple of years ago, only people trying to enter visa exempt were being denied entry. These days, some people with single entry and multiple entry tourist visa (as well as Non Ed visas if not speaking Thai) are being denied at certain airports. It is not clear that airlines refusing to carry people without visas (but with onward flight bookings which is already a requirement) would help. In practice, airlines are anyway usually reimbursed by those denied entry for the cost of their removal from Thailand. The hassle is probably irritating, but I doubt it represents a big financial hit.

• Like 1

Your post make sense. I was denied after 5 months of out-in at airport and border run. I was still able to come in via a land border for my wedding. 

• Like 1

The entries quoted for the OP and his mate of max 3 weeks (and as little as 2 days) with significant time out of the country do not appear to me to be the target of the "scaremongering", rather it is folk maxing out TV or Visa Exempt entries.  Different circumstances entirely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts (never used any visa) 7 times this year 2019 and stayed around 15-22 days per visit, around 110 days in 2019. No issues. Last year I had 8 stamps staying in total 122 days in Thailand, in 2017 I had 7 stamps and always stayed around 2 weeks....never had any issue.

Last year i spent about 10-11 months in Thailand, and this year about 10 months (it's only middle of November now), all on tourist entries. I never had any issue. So judging from my personal expecrience staying in Thailand on tourist visas / visa exempts is no problem.

But other than you, i take the problematic reports from other people which i've read here on Thaivisa into account and refrain from telling people that they can spend nearly all year round in Thailand with tourist visas, which i could do if i based my recommendations just on my personal experiences and a friend or two, like you do.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

Since when are you doing so and what kind of Visa you use if I may ask?

Edited by DeadFlagBlues

3 hours ago, mockingbird said:

If you're coming and going all the time for 2/3 weeks then no problem.

If you're effectively living here all the time on various tv\ed visa's and exemptions then a problem.

If , like me, you come for 3 months, go home for 2 months, on a cycle, then who knows?

There's a definite risk if you continue to fly in through the bkk airports. It's obviously not back to back continuously living in Thailand, but a grumpy IO could take exception.

With facial recognition they are probably already tracking you. If not, then soon in the future.

That means they can see where ever you go and what you are doing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1