Too many Entries? Don't panic! Stop the scaremongering!

12 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

They just want people to have the right visa. If you are living in Thailand they want you to have a long term visa. etc.

Exactly!

12 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If the situation gets really bad there will be problems with the airlines because they are on the hook for a return flight so they will require thai visa's for travelers. This would be seriously hurt tourism.

I guess so far the amount of people "not let in" must be far too small compared to the amount of people that are "let in". Training and checking employes for checking proper visas and/or installing software to look this up at hundreds of airports most likely cost a lot of more money than flying back the few that aren't let in. Beside that: if you are not let in you need to buy or pay for your return ticket anyway, so the airline is not losing any money here.

47 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If the situation gets really bad there will be problems with the airlines because they are on the hook for a return flight so they will require thai visa's for travelers. This would be seriously hurt tourism.

A couple of years ago, only people trying to enter visa exempt were being denied entry. These days, some people with single entry and multiple entry tourist visa (as well as Non Ed visas if not speaking Thai) are being denied at certain airports. It is not clear that airlines refusing to carry people without visas (but with onward flight bookings which is already a requirement) would help. In practice, airlines are anyway usually reimbursed by those denied entry for the cost of their removal from Thailand. The hassle is probably irritating, but I doubt it represents a big financial hit.

• Like 1

The entries quoted for the OP and his mate of max 3 weeks (and as little as 2 days) with significant time out of the country do not appear to me to be the target of the "scaremongering", rather it is folk maxing out TV or Visa Exempt entries.  Different circumstances entirely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts (never used any visa) 7 times this year 2019 and stayed around 15-22 days per visit, around 110 days in 2019. No issues. Last year I had 8 stamps staying in total 122 days in Thailand, in 2017 I had 7 stamps and always stayed around 2 weeks....never had any issue.

Last year i spent about 10-11 months in Thailand, and this year about 10 months (it's only middle of November now), all on tourist entries. I never had any issue. So judging from my personal expecrience staying in Thailand on tourist visas / visa exempts is no problem.

But other than you, i take the problematic reports from other people which i've read here on Thaivisa into account and refrain from telling people that they can spend nearly all year round in Thailand with tourist visas, which i could do if i based my recommendations just on my personal experiences and a friend or two, like you do.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mockingbird said:

If you're coming and going all the time for 2/3 weeks then no problem.

If you're effectively living here all the time on various tv\ed visa's and exemptions then a problem.

If , like me, you come for 3 months, go home for 2 months, on a cycle, then who knows?

There's a definite risk if you continue to fly in through the bkk airports. It's obviously not back to back continuously living in Thailand, but a grumpy IO could take exception.

Their first alarm bells for Immigration are those that stay 28-29 days every time & then those that comeback in after 2 or 3 days & stay 28-29 days again.

I know a guy who comes in 3-4 times a month from Laos or Cambodia, stays 3 or 4 days 

never had a problem. (He does have a Laos work permit but never been asked to show it)

• Like 1

It’s not scaremongering for people who are living here on tourist visas. It’s 100% fact airport immigration wants us out!

But since there is no Thai law that says it is illegal to stay in Thailand for X amount of time. They won’t win.

There is so many options to enter thailand if you just do research.  

People can live in Thailand by doing their 2 land border runs and extending (4 months) and using 3 SETV’s from going to Yangon, Vientiane, Kuala lumpur, Savannakhet easily. And using a domestic flight to fly to BKK. Then get a new passport every year once you get a Remark stamp.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Tayaout said:
14 minutes ago, atyclb said:

nice of them to let you in for your wedding

They did not. I used a land border where they don't enforce the same rules it seems. 

sorry.  did you tell the first port of entry io that you wish to attend your own wedding?

amazing

Edited by atyclb

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

sorry.  did you tell the first port of entry io that you wish to attend your own wedding?

amazing

No they questionned everyone that was put aside but in my case I think they forgot. After, I waited my turn to get grilled, I was sent directly to sign the denial of entry form and put in detention. They sent me back to Laos and I came back via the friendship bridge where the immigration officer did not even care about the denial stamp in my passport. 

Edited by Tayaout

22 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I know someone who comes to Thailand 3 or 4 times a month on a VE. But each time he stays only 1 day. Sometimes 2. He never had a problem.  

Your examples are also below the 180 days a year.

I wonder whether immigration actually counts the number of days as in the first post. It must take quite a long time to count so many stamps that year.

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

No they questionned everyone that was put aside but in my case I think they forgot. After, I waited my turn to get grilled, I was sent directly to sign the denial of entry form and put in detention. They sent me back to Laos and I came back via the friendship bridge where the immigration officer did not even care about the denial stamp in my passport. 

I assume you were denied at DMK?

It is not Scaremongering, you have just been Extremely Lucky, I went to Lao for a wedding, stayed 3 days, no problem returning KKhai, I went to Philippines for one month and upon return to Thailand  , they said I’m working here, luckily I took GF, on return to Thailand  , they were not going to let me in , did not ask for funds or anything ,they let me go get my Gf who was at baggage claim , she told them please , we are getting Married, they let me in , so their is a basis to this problem, maybe not for you, but eventually it will happen,” a side note”, she had called her thai bf to meet her at airport, we fortunately broke up at airport, one of the only nice thing she ever did for me, we had discussed getting married in two weeks, lol, This happened at Suvanabum , sic, I now have Retirement Visa  

Edited by Ireland32
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wonder whether immigration actually counts the number of days as in the first post. It must take quite a long time to count so many stamps that year.

I would expect that the IO's computer displays this information.

4 hours ago, acenase said:

It’s not scaremongering for people who are living here on tourist visas. It’s 100% fact airport immigration wants us out!

But since there is no Thai law that says it is illegal to stay in Thailand for X amount of time. They won’t win.

There is so many options to enter thailand if you just do research.  

People can live in Thailand by doing their 2 land border runs and extending (4 months) and using 3 SETV’s from going to Yangon, Vientiane, Kuala lumpur, Savannakhet easily. And using a domestic flight to fly to BKK. Then get a new passport every year once you get a Remark stamp.

How many years,if,ever, have you been doing this?

Edited by emptypockets

On 11/20/2019 at 5:43 AM, dimitriv said:

I know someone who comes to Thailand 3 or 4 times a month on a VE. But each time he stays only 1 day. Sometimes 2. He never had a problem.  

Your examples are also below the 180 days a year.

There is no 180 day thing. They did try that back around 2005-2007 but it didn't work as the IO took too much time trying to count days, so they stopped. However, some websites still post this and some IO's still use this excuse.  

55 minutes ago, ericthai said:

There is no 180 day thing. They did try that back around 2005-2007 but it didn't work as the IO took too much time trying to count days, so they stopped. However, some websites still post this and some IO's still use this excuse.  

Just a couple of slight clarifications. There has never been an official 180-day rule. What there was for a period was a limit of 90 days in any six month period on visa exempt entries only.

• Like 2