I'm held by immigration in suvarnabhumi airport

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Income or a  balance equivalent to 400,000 Baht. Still unsure where the 7000 CAD (158,000 baht) even comes from. 

a number they picked from their nose.

I would have asked to be shown a copy of the police order requiring that amount.

Edited by BritManToo

8 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Firstly:   OK the download link would be great but in fact will be of little use as even the most sophisticated smart phone don’t have a printer built into them (yet) and I doubt very much if the IO is going to let the OP use his/her computer and printer.  To make matters even more complicated in order to submit the form you also need attach a passport type photo to the form, which begs the question how many people carry spare passport photos with them all the time?

Thirdly:  Even if the OP were to submit an appeal form, what is going to happen to him whilst the appeal process takes place?  According to The Immigration Act (Section 22) the Minister should give his/her decision within 7 days.  So if the IO’s want to play ‘games’ the OP could be stuck in the airport detention suite for the next week awaiting the outcome of his appeal.

1. As I previously suggested, carry a completed copy of the form with you, leaving only the date blank.

I travel all over Asia, I've always got passport photos with me, you never know who will want one on a form.

3. I'm retired, I can wait, cheaper than an emergency flight out

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are not stating facts when you say that they can legally deny entry for staying in the country to long on tourist visas.

The only part about your post that is correct is denying entry for not having 10 or 20k baht but they do not do that. Showing any amount of cash does not matter as has been reported many times.

No need to discuss it further.

You're a very patient fellow, I would have warned and banned by now.

(I put him on ignore right at the start, but still see his quoted posts)

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There's simply no other visa available for under 50 year old, single and non working in thai expats. Open the retirment visa up for under 50 year olds and i take that one instead...

Sad but true. You are right. I just hope it doesn't get any worse, especially for children who need their fathers. 

12 minutes ago, geistfunke said:

The Elite Visa is for me a kind of bribe on a higher level and should be completely boycotted. If someone pays the money, they make life harder for all other foreigners in Thailand. But of course, if you have enough money, first think about yourself and how you can lead a more comfortable life. It's only human.  

I find the Elite Visa to be a really good idea. The Visa ensures the officials that the person who is entering their country, have the means to live and take care of themselves while in the country. That is also why no questions are ever asked upon entry with an Elite Visa.

But despite that, I actually find the visa to be inexpensive. You basically pay THB 8.333/month (5 year one) and get other services included. If you travel a lot like me, the extra services is a really good deal.

Many spend more on girls and drinks per month here. But it is of course a matter of priority. I personally think it is worth it, as I do not want to spend my time worrying if I get my Visa renewed or not. 

Just now, geistfunke said:

Sad but true. You are right. I just hope it doesn't get any worse, especially for children who need their fathers. 

I am pretty sure it will get harder and harder to stay here, even if you are over 50.  Unfortunately and as you say especially for the families living here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, khunpa said:

I find the Elite Visa to be a really good idea. The Visa ensures the officials that the person who is entering their country, have the means to live and take care of themselves while in the country. That is also why no questions are ever asked upon entry with an Elite Visa.

How does it prove you have the means to take care of yourself?

If I were a drug dealer, I'd be entering with an elite.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
18 hours ago, fruitman said:

So if you get the ME non-o marriage based in Canada don't you have to show them sufficient funds first when you apply?

Income or a  balance equivalent to 400,000 Baht. Still unsure where the 7000 CAD (158,000 baht) even comes from. 

Another poster here wrote that he didn't have to show funds in Canada to get a ME non-o....now i 'm confused.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How does it prove you have the means to take care of yourself?

If I were a drug dealer, I'd be entering with an elite.

Well, first of all you get screened before you can get an Elite Visa.

And if you can pay THB 500.000 - THB 2 mill. for a visa upfront, it should be pretty obvious that you have the money to not become a begpacker while in the country. 

Edited by khunpa
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Another poster here wrote that he didn't have to show funds in Canada to get a ME non-o....now i 'm confused.

I guess it depends on what it is based upon, I looked at 6. For the purpose of visiting family in Thailand or visiting as a spouse of a Thai national:

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, khunpa said:

And if you can pay THB 500.000 - THB 2 mill. for a visa upfront, it should be pretty obvious that you have the money to not become a begpacker. 

You might have spent your last 500k on the VISA, and be hoping to work on the sly to live.

Like I said, if I were a criminal, it's what I would do for an easy entry.

1 minute ago, thaibook said:

My experience is different.  I was once asked to go to see an IO at a small desk behind the counters who threatened to deny me entry because I had been in and out too often in the year.  My wife, very riep roi and always griengjai became annoyed and let him have a volley of how silly he was being and how he was breaking the rules etc but of course with a "ka" every three words.  Perhaps he was stunned but anyway he stamped my passport.

Yeh I think we all have different experiences due to the opaqueness of the laws over here

• Like 1

Britmantoo

I would pull you up on the auto entry bit just because have a valid visa.

Any country has the right to refuse entry to anyone,,,,,visa or not.

The visa is not a promise, it is a precursor to entry

Anyway, something in the above story is not being told,,,,,,methinks

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Britmantoo

I would pull you up on the auto entry bit just because have a valid visa.

Any country has the right to refuse entry to anyone,,,,,visa or not.

The visa is not a promise, it is a precursor to entry

In many countries you would be right, in Thailand you are not.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I know!    I made an error and acknowledged that IOs may accept travellers' cheques also to another poster who pointed that out to me 11 hours before you posted that!...

Ok, if that's correct, I stand corrected, thanks.

Just for the record, it is also nonsense to make the blanket statement that "travellers' cheques are as good as cash"; IOs may accept them but cash cannot be cancelled, travelers' cheques can and they then become pieces of paper.

Indeed.  Many many years ago (in the seventies) when traveling in SEA one had to show funds at some entry points eg Singapore.  I bought TCs, claimed they were lost so had them cancelled and new ones issued and hey presto my funds were doubled and sufficient for immigration.   Had I replied on cash I would have been denied entry and hence not ended up crossing Sarawak, Brunie and Sabah by canoe, walking and hitching.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never a good idea to let your Thai wife talk for you.

They don't really think before they speak, and have been trained from birth to agree with people in uniforms.

"I have the right to enter Thailand with my valid VISA" is all you need to say.

It's up to them to speak in English, and give you a legal reason to deny your entry.

Sounds to me like they're looking for a bribe.

Then i dont know who trained my wife but she doesn't care about any uniform at all , if she get's stopped by police while driving she opens her window 1 centimeter pushes threu her license and doesn't even talk to them . ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Then i dont know who trained my wife but she doesn't care about any uniform at all , if she get's stopped by police while driving she opens her window 1 centimeter pushes threu her license and doesn't even talk to them . ????

If we get stopped while I'm driving and the cop speaks Thai to my wife, usually on the lines of 'can you translate or help' she always says, in english,  if you need to speak to my husband you need to speak english to him.

Always end up getting waved on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

having a valid visa does not give anyone the right to enter Thailand!

EXPANDING on the above:

Having a valid visa for ANY country does NOT give you the "RIGHT" to enter that country. A IO in ANY country can deny any person entry UNLESS they are a citizen and be able to prove they are a citizen if additional proof is needed.

Depending on the country, there are many ligitimate reasons """on the tip of the tongue""" that a IO can use to deny entry. The recourse, ask for a supervisor and ask to file a appeal if available.

Just a thought....

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

A IO in ANY country can deny any person entry UNLESS they are a citizen and be able to prove they are a citizen if additional proof is needed.

You are wrong, a Thai IO doesn't have this right.

I think the only person who has the right to deny any person is the minister of interior (he is also the person who has to confirm a denial if a denied person appeals, not even the immigration police chief was given this power by law)

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

So going back to OP and the thread head line.

In USA and Canada the vast majority of people when relating a tale use the present tense instead of the past. ( I am held not I was held ),

Going from there we can't decide exactly when things happened.

Maybe it was a day before he posted so it was easy to describe the events and it made it sound as though it was at the time of posting.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by overherebc

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never a good idea to let your Thai wife talk for you.

They don't really think before they speak, and have been trained from birth to agree with people in uniforms.

"I have the right to enter Thailand with my valid VISA" is all you need to say.

It's up to them to speak in English, and give you a legal reason to deny your entry.

Sounds to me like they're looking for a bribe.

unfortunately your visa does not entitle you to a entry, they can refuse you

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm a certified translator from Thai to English & I've heard defence lawyers apologising to the judge for defending a foreigner. 

Makes me kind of wonder what the hell, I'm doing here if that is what they all think of us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibook said:

My wife, very riep roi and always griengjai became annoyed and let him have a volley of how silly he was being and how he was breaking the rules etc but of course with a "ka" every three words.  Perhaps he was stunned but anyway he stamped my passport.

How do you know what she was saying?

If you spoke Thai, you would have told him yourself.

• Haha 1