I'm held by immigration in suvarnabhumi airport

1 hour ago, lkv said:

You seem to be blocking many. Me, elviajero, him ????????

You haven't blocked jackdd just yet.

God forbid ubonjoe agrees with us, you will block him as well. He does agree actually, because he has read the Immigration act, just not sharing his opinion.

Anyone that explains to you the sad reality of multiple entry non immigrant visas with a 90 day permission of stay per entry, gets blocked.

Or anyone that explains to you the decision to allow entry into a country is taken by Immigration at the border, regardless of any visa.

I hope you might see this post if someone quotes it ????

MFA's website:

10.  Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

“I have a right to enter Thailand”? No, we don’t it is clearly up to the discretion of the IO. I would advise focusing on the stated, and documented, reason for the denial of entry. That would be the grounds for the appeal.

Another on ignore for posting the same foolishness.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

It’s unfortunate for the OP and some useful information for others. 

It could’ve been they didn’t know what a “Cashiers Check” is. 

I carried Cashier Checks long ago when I first traveled in Asia on business and a lot of places/countries were puzzled. Not the easiest to cash. 

I do think the IO has the authority to decline entry if something feels suspicious. US Immigration same free reigns if they perceive 

a potential problem. It’s their job responsibility.

My guess about the CAD$7,000 requirement is that it is the prorated sum for a 5 month stay in Thailand based on marriage. The OP is staying until April, or about 5 months or a little less depending on exact travel dates.

Normally, on a marriage visa 400k is required for a year or about 33.3k baht per month. 5*33.3k = 166.5K baht. CAD is about 22.8B, so CAD7,000 is 159.6K baht. The 2 amounts seem to be close enough.

This is just my guess as how how they arrived at the CAD$7,000 requirement. I do realize that this is NOT the way a marriage financial requirement is supposed to work.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/20/2019 at 6:01 PM, cornishcarlos said:

So you are on a Non Imm O multiple entry, correct ?? If this is true and they are now asking these sort of questions, it doesn't bode well !!! Since when has there been a requirement to show 7k CAD on entry with this type of visa ??

As far as I know. Never. ????

2 hours ago, lkv said:

You haven't blocked jackdd just yet.

God forbid ubonjoe agrees with us, you will block him as well. He does agree actually, because he has read the Immigration act, just not sharing his opinion.

Anyone that explains to you the sad reality of multiple entry non immigrant visas with a 90 day permission of stay per entry, gets blocked.

Or anyone that explains to you the decision to allow entry into a country is taken by Immigration at the border, regardless of any visa.

Probably because i agree with him that an IO doesn't have the power to deny a person for a random reason. An IO can only deny a person for the reasons given in the law.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If I read the OP correctly he told them he planned to stay through end of April when 90 days would have been through late February. I suppose he planned on doing a 60 day extension.

Possibly that was part of the issue and I do think it usually best not to indicate a planned duration of stay beyond what you can bec stamped in for.  But still hardly reason for them to stop him and the 7000 CAD  bit makes no sense that I can see. Bizarre.

I do think it usually best not to indicate a planned duration of stay beyond what you can bec stamped in for.

That's a real good tip people should follow. Thumbs up!!!    ????

Edited by Isaanbiker

BigSteff posted:

Is there anything I can do about the way he was treated at the airport by immigration, reference 7K Cad.

Posting the incident on social media and western media will probably be effective. Reporting the incident, even names to Thai immigration will probably not appease you at all, that if you get a reply from Thai IM.  Again losing face comes into play and Thai people accepts this kind of behavior. I had different experience at check-in at the airport for flight out of country. for sake of time, and i will not go into details.  After I returned to Thailand several days later.  I how badly I felt because of the way i was treated, which she noticed. I said I was going to report it to the airline company.  She told me it was going to be a waste of time and I would not get a reply.  She was right...three yeast has passed, no reply or response whatsoever for the company.  Some of you here may have had a more positive experience, but it is a way of life here.  Do you think most people in Thailand are concerned about the situation with the Redbull Airest, Yingluck, of Taksin?  No, they would prefer to go on to another subject, when mentioned.

Good luck

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Just Weird said:

If you are asked for funds you have to produce cash!  TCs are not cash.

WRONG!!! You have to show the equivalent of 20,000 baht in any currency for example entering on tourist visa and traveler checks are absolutely acceptable. 

Edited by alex8912

On 11/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, Ventenio said:

they made it clear they don't care about you and will play whatever games they want.   they have all the power, but one.... you can leave.  

Don’t take everything personal. If we do then no one will travel anywhere. Thailand immigration is not a lot different than other countries immigration in 2019. No one is out to get you or discriminate against you personally. 

OP is in Thailand so I agree with his wife we should forget about it and have a pleasant day. 

On 11/20/2019 at 6:42 AM, BritManToo said:

Carry a copy of the form with you already completed except for the date ........ should work.

Bet they'd poop themselves if you handed it to them when/if they tried an illegal refusal of entry. 

Great idea, i just printed one out in case something similar happens when i arrive in January 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If I read the OP correctly he told them he planned to stay through end of April when 90 days would have been through late February. I suppose he planned on doing a 60 day extension.

Possibly that was part of the issue and I do think it usually best not to indicate a planned duration of stay beyond what you can bec stamped in for.  But still hardly reason for them to stop him and the 7000 CAD  bit makes no sense that I can see. Bizarre.

Agreed, I've been asked that question a few times and I always state a date lower than my entitlement. No way would I have said "April" when the maximum on a Non O is 90 days.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Yes!  I think you are exactly correct. I think people really need to THINK before answering any questions from an IO. I arrive every year on a METV In Sept/ Oct  and plan to stay until April the next year. I know I need a couple visa trips but I would answer 60 days or if my next outbound ticket was 56 days just say that. I think a lot of people may say “ April “ in my situation as well. I just don’t get some people. If he needs to leave or extend by 90 days why in the world did he say APRIL?!

I bet if he said February we would not be on page 12 or 13 on this thread.

Last time I arrived, id written 90D on my arrival card. The IO read it as 900 and asked me, in a very serious manner, if I was planning to stay 900 days....

• Haha 1