surprised to see these psychotropics on the pharmacy shelf in Chiang Mai

orang37

I was in Airport Plaza, lowest floor, picking up some supplies at a Pharma something-or-other, and noticed big boxes of Zoloft (sertraline), and Effexor (venlafaxine), displayed; I thought these were controlled, and only available ar Suan Prung Hospital.

Anything changed legal-wise ?

~o:37;

p.s. imho: anyone who self-medicates with SSRI's or SNRI's without medical supervision is nuts.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Some yes. But valium and xanax are difficult to get and are in fact potentially very addictive.

Neither Valium nor Xanax are classified as 'anti-depressants.'

Valium is an anti-hypertensive, and Xanax is used in short term management of anxiety disorders, specifically panic disorder.

Just because you see the boxes on the shelf doesn’t mean the meds are  inside!

Case in point:  My pharmacist friend proudly displayed Zoloft on his shelf, and my curiousity piqued, I asked him the cost.  

He told me that the Zoloft (and a few other meds on his shelf) were in fact “for show!”  

He said other pharmacies do this as well.

Now, anti-depressants are technically available OTC in some shops (I’d be worried about fakes), and sometimes a pharmacist will order for you.  

However, most reputable pharmacists would really prefer to see a prescription or old med bottle on your part.

Not that *many* other scenarios haven’t transpired in the procurement of antidepressants, but this is what my pharmacist buddy & a couple of other pharmacists have told me.

(And of course, I’m referring to anti-depressants ONLY -not anti-anxiety or sleep meds).

But here’s one question for forum members:

Has anyone found a reputable CM pharmacy that sells antidepressants *significantly* cheaper than hospital pharmacies?

”Asking for a friend...”

2 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Where?

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Tramadol, Codeine, Valium, Xanax, Ambien.

Like it or not, all the above can be found in some pharmacies (no prescription) along with antidepressants, steroids, etc..

Tramadol, yes almost every pharmacy but they will only sell 10-20 capsules and some will require a photocopy of your ID. Valium is available in some pharmacies if you know the pharmacist well. Codeine and Xanax, not a chance - anymore. I can't comment about Ambien as I don't know but I doubt it. If someone is selling what they represent to be Codeine or Xanax, it's fake. There are also pharmacies selling fake Diazepam - like one near Soi Loy Kroh.

13 hours ago, elektrified said:

Codeine and Xanax, not a chance - anymore. I can't comment about Ambien as I don't know but I doubt it. If someone is selling what they represent to be Codeine or Xanax, it's fake. 

A flat out false comment.

You just have no clue where to go.  

On 11/23/2019 at 10:36 PM, bkk6060 said:

Tramadol, Codeine, Valium, Xanax, Ambien.

Like it or not, all the above can be found in some pharmacies (no prescription) along with antidepressants, steroids, etc..

Stilnox is the name for Ambien in case anyone is wondering. 

Archived