U.S. to provide ship to Vietnam to boost South China Sea patrols

snoop1130

U.S. to provide ship to Vietnam to boost South China Sea patrols

By Phil Stewart, James Pearson

fg.PNG

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper reviews the Vietnamese guard of honour during a welcoming ceremony in Hanoi, Vietnam November 20, 2019. REUTERS/Kham

HANOI (Reuters) - The United States announced on Wednesday it will provide Vietnam with another coast guard cutter for its growing fleet of ships, boosting Hanoi’s ability to patrol the South China Sea amid tensions with China.

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper disclosed the decision during an address in Vietnam, which has emerged as the most vocal opponent in Asia of China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea.

In his speech, Esper took aim at China, which he accused of “bullying” neighbors, like Vietnam.

“China’s unilateral efforts to assert illegitimate maritime claims threaten other nations’ access to vital natural resources, undermine the stability of regional energy markets, and increase the risk of conflict,” Esper told students at the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam.

The vessel will be Vietnam’s second cutter from the U.S. Coast Guard, which just two years ago transferred a Hamilton-class cutter to Vietnam. By providing the ships, the U.S. hopes to enable Vietnam to assert its sovereignty and deter China.

More than four decades after the Vietnam War ended, ties between the United States and Vietnam are increasingly focused on shared concerns over Chinese expansion.

China claims 90% of the potentially energy-rich South China Sea, but Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also lay claim to parts of it, through which about $3 trillion of trade passes each year.

Beijing in July sent a ship for a months-long seismic survey to an area internationally designated as Vietnam’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) but also claimed by China.

Vietnam said earlier this month it could explore legal action in the dispute, a move previously taken by the Philippines - where Esper visited earlier this week.

In 2016, the Philippines won a ruling from the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague that invalidated China’s claim over most of the South China Sea.

Speaking earlier at Vietnam’s defense ministry, Esper said the international rules-based order “has come under duress.”

“Collectively, we must stand up against coercion and intimidation, protect the rights of all nations, big and small,” Esper said.

The United States accuses China of militarizing the South China Sea and trying to intimidate Asian neighbors who might want to exploit its extensive oil and gas reserves.

In April, the United States delivered six patrol boats worth $12 million to Vietnam’s Coast Guard. Those vessels were in addition to another twelve “Metal Shark” patrol boats it provided to Vietnam in the last two years.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-20

The enemy of my ex-enemy of my ex-ally enemy  is my.... oh, too early & my dementia is acting up... politics does make strange bunk mates.

I'd like to see USA give USS Maddox to Vietnam. That was the destroyer that was fired on that led to infamous Gulf of Tonkin resolution that gave LBJ a blank check for escalation of VN war.

43 minutes ago, Emdog said:

The enemy of my ex-enemy of my ex-ally enemy  is my.... oh, too early & my dementia is acting up... politics does make strange bunk mates.

I'd like to see USA give USS Maddox to Vietnam. That was the destroyer that was fired on that led to infamous Gulf of Tonkin resolution that gave LBJ a blank check for escalation of VN war.

and a lot of lads that never came home would think what about this exactly.

Sensible to be doing this. Veetnaaam needs to be able to defend its own waters, without the Usofans being directly involved. It would be helpful if the Europeans understood that approach better.

On the other hand there's the Mahatir approach, that he expressed a few weeks ago: Of course, if the Chinese attacked we would surrender immediately. What would be the point of resisting?

16 minutes ago, car720 said:

China could overrun Vietnam in a day without raising a sweat.

The Sino-Vietnamese conflicts of 1979–1991, would prove you wrong!

Without any actual experience fighting a modern war, they would not stand a chance against Vietnam.

50 minutes ago, car720 said:

China could overrun Vietnam in a day without raising a sweat.

I doubt it.

Remember that Vietnam has fought 4 wars against 4 major world powers and won them all.

Japan, France, America and China.

Let us not forget the Vietnamese victory over Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

Vietnam is the key to south east asia.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

They cant keep their noses out of other countries issues. Karma will happen.

? Free passage through international waters is to be defended against unilateral claims to sovereignty over 90% of the South China Sea by the PRC. That is in the interests of all using the sea shipping. Overlapping territorial water claims are to be settled diplomatically, not by seizing territories claimed by others. IMHO (and that of the International Court in the Hague). Aside from this, we would, no doubt find room to agree that the US (and other countries) should not bully militarily or financially to get their own way disregarding the interests of other evolved countries.

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

The Maddox and Tturner Joy were on patrol at night in international waters off the coast of Vietnam.

It is  almost certain that neither ship was struck or even fired upon by Vietnamese patrol boats.

The most logical  answer was that in the dark of night one ship heard a noise and determined there were Vietnamese vessels  approaching and the Us ship fired blindly into the sea.  the other US ship heard the firing and thought it must be the Vietnamese firing- but it wasn't.  In essence, both US ships fired at each other.

The rest is history-  the Gulf of Tonkin resolution passed - the US President started a massive buildup that forced millions of US citizens (including me ) to be conscripted and sent to Vietnam.

The result:  millions of Vietnamese dead-  60,000 Americans dead  not to mention the vast numbers of disabled veterans.

A complete and utter waste of lives on both sides.

Source:  Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War  and personal  discussions 

Just now, wwest5829 said:

Aside from this, we would, no doubt find room to agree that the US (and other countries) should not bully militarily or financially to get their own way disregarding the interests of other evolved countries.

Especially China.............since they started this approx 6-7 years ago by building a "fishermen's rest"--their words not mine, on Spratly island.

4 hours ago, Longcut said:

The Sino-Vietnamese conflicts of 1979–1991, would prove you wrong!

Without any actual experience fighting a modern war, they would not stand a chance against Vietnam.

That was then.  I can assure you that the Chinese military are a different animal today.

1 hour ago, ross163103 said:

Especially China.............since they started this approx 6-7 years ago by building a "fishermen's rest"--their words not mine, on Spratly island.

Both China and Russia’s relatively recent unilateral seizing of the Crimea.

3 hours ago, jobsworth said:

I doubt it.

Remember that Vietnam has fought 4 wars against 4 major world powers and won them all.

Japan, France, America and China.

Let us not forget the Vietnamese victory over Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

Vietnam is the key to south east asia.

I say again that the Chinese military are a different story now.

2 minutes ago, car720 said:

That was then.  I can assure you that the Chinese military are a different animal today.

Agree that times have changed. On the other hand ... the strongest military force on the face of the planet? And over how many years in Afghanistan? Iraq? I seem to remember the same bravado at a time when country bumpkins fought against the strongest military of their time and won independence ... oops, no not Vietnam against the US ...

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Agree that times have changed. On the other hand ... the strongest military force on the face of the planet? And over how many years in Afghanistan? Iraq? I seem to remember the same bravado at a time when country bumpkins fought against the strongest military of their time and won independence ... oops, no not Vietnam against the US ...

You make a very good point.  The Americans, after getting into Afghanistan and Iraq were unable to control the population and enforce their will.  The Chinese on the other hand have no problem at all interning millions in re-education facilities.  They will enforce their will without any doubt.  If nothing else they would do what they did with the Uighers.  Just flood their country with Han people and push the others out.  A simple matter of telling the populace that they can have free housing in Vietnam.

6 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Why? They still have no experience in modern warfare. Can't even teach their pilots to land on their only carrier.

Modern warfare cannot compete with the will of the enemy. Didnt afghanistan and muslim terrorism teach you anything.

You cannot defeat muslim terrorism with a technological war.

The chinese are very smart. They will avoid outright war, instead they will just flood a country with people, gain influence then basically buy that country out of debt. They wont have to fire a shot and with trumps US alone policy it makes it easier for them.

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Modern warfare cannot compete with the will of the enemy. Didnt afghanistan and muslim terrorism teach you anything.

You cannot defeat muslim terrorism with a technological war.

The chinese are very smart. They will avoid outright war, instead they will just flood a country with people, gain influence then basically buy that country out of debt. They wont have to fire a shot and with trumps US alone policy it makes it easier for them.

You are of the assumption that Vietnam will be in this fight alone? 

24 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Give them 10 armed coast guard ships ... that will really annoy Beijing and the Viets would love it.

True, but they have to know how to use them, and then have the guts to use them. The Chinese won't yield to minor bluffs.

Archived