U.S. to provide ship to Vietnam to boost South China Sea patrols

snoop1130

9 hours ago, zydeco said:

Make that "ships," plural, and I'll be more impressed.

Maybe you missed...

On 11/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, snoop1130 said:

The vessel will be Vietnam’s second cutter from the U.S. Coast Guard, which just two years ago transferred a Hamilton-class cutter to Vietnam.

and...

On 11/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, snoop1130 said:

In April, the United States delivered six patrol boats worth $12 million to Vietnam’s Coast Guard. Those vessels were in addition to another twelve “Metal Shark” patrol boats it provided to Vietnam in the last two years.

I just hope the Vietnamese have the will to actually deploy them. I work extensively offshore Vietnam in the 'frontier' deep water blocks and witnessed first-hand Chinese interference with and damage to equipment being used by survey companies on contract to PetroVietnam and their partners. A lot of the time, we have issues with the government-supplied picket boats having enough fuel to stay on station. They got great pho though!

I recall that Obama's administration was trying to give maybe half-a-dozen refurbished cold-war era Orion P3C maritime surveillance aircraft to the Vietnamese. Vietnam were relying on an agreement with the RAAF with a few of their AP-3C's rotating out of Butterworth for marine reconnaissance. But that was during his second 'lame duck' term and it was blocked by the other team just for the hell of it.

'twas ever thus.

3 hours ago, Longcut said:

You are of the assumption that Vietnam will be in this fight alone? 

That's what the Chinese would wish. Outside any fighting, their mandate is to divide and conquer by negotiating separate deals with Vietnam, PI, Indonesia, etc., with all sorts of trade and economic boondoggles unique to each nation. That is why the Chinese ignore UNCLOS and other internationally recognized agreements that clearly state that China's claim based on island building on submerged reefs is illegal. Unfortunately, there's no love lost between Vietnam and Indonesia when it comes to illegal fishing and thus the high improbability of getting Indonesia's naval hierarchy to participate in a unilateral approach plays straight into the Chinese hands. Duterte flips and flops so much, it is unclear exactly what he has ever agreed with the Chinese, if anything.

Then, while nobody was paying much attention beyond righteous indignation, the Chinese militarized their new islands.

China owns most of south east asia. See the worry in the Philippines with regards to their power grid. So many countries are basically Chinese vassal states through trade and ownership. Check the Thai prime minister when he said Thailand is an ant where China is a lion....

Vietnam would be on its own. Too much is invested by China elsewhere for anyone else to do anything rash. Economies would collapse, companies answerable perhaps even countries would go bust. A lot of the people in the rest of the area are of Chinese decent too....

On 11/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, jobsworth said:

I doubt it.

Remember that Vietnam has fought 4 wars against 4 major world powers and won them all.

Japan, France, America and China.

Let us not forget the Vietnamese victory over Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

Vietnam is the key to south east asia.

Funniest post seen all day, you should be doing stand-up comedy at the hairy buffalo in Hanoi.... ????

Archived