Insurance requirements for retirement at jomtien

Sign at retirement desk says after Oct 30th Insurance needed (TIT.)

I am covered under the Thai social security system and have been paying into it for over a decade.  Immigration at jomtien will not accept this though it covers most everything.  Lady says no it doesn't.  End of story.  

I understand why they are imposing this rule but it clearly is not relevant for everyone and all I can think of doing is calling visa agents at this point because 50K plus more a year simply is not necessary or affordable for some of us. 

Why wouldn't they accept Thai SS coverage?  To make money for insurers in Thailand me thinks or more under the counter money.  Is there an immigration office that would?  Someone mentioned Bangkok but that presents other issues. I think this may be a make or break issue for some or a work around will be in order.  What are other people doing about this?

Once again I am covered under the Thai SS program and have medicare back home in the states for emergencies or to fly back and use.  I can not buy more insurance to stay here after a very long run.  This is not the only policy change that affects me as a renter.   :0( 

This is a thread for those who don't fit into the cheat sheet thread or other threads popping up so please allow a conversation to ensue, thank you.

OP, its still only if you started life with an OA visa isnt it ? If you started with an O visa then insurance is not required.

The current work around is to start again with a new O visa then no insurance is required.

• Like 2

An O visa is if you are married to a Thai or have proof of income?

What is an O visa please?

Another possibility is go back to the Thai consulate in the USA. Will the insurance still be a requirement?  Or only on renewal?  Will medicare do the trick? Is an OA retirement visa from a Thai consulate still good for two years if you leave the country the last day or so of visa and return?

Thanks again. 

Edited by peeba7

12 minutes ago, peeba7 said:

An O visa is if you are married to a Thai or have proof of income?

What is an O visa please?

Another possibility is go back to the Thai consulate in the USA. Will it still be a requirement?  Or only on renewal?  Is an OA retirement visa from a Thai consulate still good for two years if you leave the country the last day or so of visa and return?

Thanks again. 

To find out what a Non Immigrant O-VISA is, go to the website of a thai embassy and read there very easy...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, glegolo said:

To find out what a Non Immigrant O-VISA is, go to the website of a thai embassy and read there very easy...

glegolo

More non helpful post.

To Peeba....you can obtain an non o based on few things. Retirement, married to Thai, parent of Thai etc. You can obtain non o in nearby countries or even enter on Los on visa exempt or visa and do "conversion" to non o at Thai imm.

A non oa can only be obtained in own country and now requires insurance. Many threads on this. 

• Like 1

O.P. likes to shaken up people ? forgotten to mention in post ? It is for the O-A ones only  !!, not the "O" visa ret. extensions ….!

Remember some retirees have weak hart …., consider that please ????

33 minutes ago, peeba7 said:

...and yet another query:

What if you simply can not provide it, how much time do they give you to pack up?

In Worst case scenario I think you could fly out (example Cambodia ) and in again and use visa exempt 30 days , maybe extendable with.....x time ?

• Like 1

I simply do not know all the ins and outs, so most of us are in the same boat.

As far as I can tell the diff bet o and oa is you only get 90 days on the o but can extend to a year.

This begs more questions: when will they require the o extension to have insurance, why don't they already, will they ever, what other differences are there between o and oa? 

10 minutes ago, peeba7 said:

I simply do not know all the ins and outs, so most of us are in the same boat.

As far as I can tell the diff bet o and oa is you only get 90 days on the o but can extend to a year.

This begs more questions: when will they require the o extension to have insurance, why don't they already, will they ever, what other differences are there between o and oa? 

One big difference is that a Non "O" has to keep 5 months 800 000 baht on Thai bank untouched and after 7 months 400 000baht untouched of it, so a total of more than 450 000 average whole year  !! , as last introduced for the Non "O" 's probably for the same reason as now that insurance , so if they introduce it for non O  too ,they would double the "punishment" for those ….

but … never say never it could happen ….

BTW I am insured (AXA ) , but not the one they demand .

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, david555 said:

One big difference is that a Non "O" has to keep 5 months 800 000 baht on Thai bank untouched and after 7 months 400 000baht untouched of it, so a total of more than 450 000 average whole year  !! , as last introduced for the Non "O" 's probably for the same reason as now that insurance , so if they introduce it for non O  too ,they would double the "punishment" for those ….

but … never say never it could happen ….

For your information an extension of stay based on an old OA using the bank method

has exactly the same requirments we have ''to keep 5 months 800 000 baht on Thai bank untouched and after 7 months 400 000baht untouched of it, so a total of more than 450 000 average whole year  !!''

So all the people in this case are ALREADY affected by a double ''punishment'' 

Who's next? 

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

For your information an extension of stay based on an old OA using the bank method

has exactly the same requirments we have ''to keep 5 months 800 000 baht on Thai bank untouched and after 7 months 400 000baht untouched of it, so a total of more than 450 000 average whole year  !!''

So all the people in this case are ALREADY affected by a double ''punishment'' 

Who's next? 

"Who is next ? "

Probably we non "o" ….. after first enough  O-A 's changed to t the O …. then they can close that expat  trap after a delay to get enough candidates …., and then the married with or whiteout child(eren) probably 

Ps: But at least you non o-a's had the benefit of 2 year no money on bank ….5555

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have a  retirement 'visa' and BUPA International Medical Insurance.  I suspect they wont accept it. Anybody know?

Just look at the list of authorized insurance companies and BUPA is conspicuously absent so that should answer your question so long as your retirement visa is or was originally an O-A, if O then go back to sleep