Thai government attitude to foreigners

Isaan Alan

Just visited the cave paintings, waterfalls and views of the Mekong at Pha Taem National Park east of Ubon Ratchathani (nice ring to East of Ubon) and it was very visit-worthy. As a falang I got charged 400 baht which is 10 times the Thai rate of 40 baht. Even the car was only 30 baht. It indicates the Thai government attitude to foreigners very clearly. 

My extensive experience in China is there no difference for foreigners or cheaper if you have a foreign expert certificate where they treat you as an honoured guest. I have sometimes entered free because of my age which applies to foreigners also  In my home country of Australia there is no foreigner price only sometimes there is a concession for local residents. It shows the Thai bureacracy has a rather warped attitude to foreigners. 

20191120_204553.jpg

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too find it highly distasteful... the Dual Pricing policies at national parks is an incredibly clumsy approach by a government who's country is so reliant on tourism and a positive image. 

The larger issue is the message this sends to other businesses. Dual Pricing is actually illegal in Thailand (in private business) yet the message is clear.... greed. 

There have been loads of topics and debates on this matter, none of it has ever convinced me even remotely that the dual pricing is in anyway acceptable, for anyone, in any country. 

I could live with lower price for locals, but depending on how easy it is to be concidered a local.

Example: In my hometown in Belgium, my wife - Thai - gets the same discount as me. My sister - who lives in a neighbouring city - pays full price.

Or somewhat different: in Norway a 1 day fishing permit is almost as expensive as a season permit, so basically locals get a discount - without any trace of nationalism or racism.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Senechal said:

In many places if you speak decent Thai, you get Thai prices. So there's one more incentive to learn...

That's a rather weak incentive, added to a short list of similarly weak incentives 

A much better plan is simply don't go.

I've never been to a Thai national park that was worth the time.

They are usually poorly planned (typical here) and poorly maintained (also typical here). 

• Like 1