Thanathorn, disputing verdict, says party will carry on

snoop1130

Thanathorn, disputing verdict, says party will carry on

By THE NATION

800_d803f018f2932ab.jpg

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

Disputing the Constitutional Court’s verdict against him on Wednesday (November 20), Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party, vowed to continue in his political career.

“The court attached more weight to assumptions rather than to facts or evidence,” he told reporters after the court session. “It’s my observation that there was no resolution in the form of a judicial body’s decision, unlike other courts’ verdicts.

“Moreover, the court mentioned Article 98 (3) of the Constitution, which prohibits politicians from holding shares in media companies that can influence public opinion. It did not say whether that article actually applied to V Luck Media and I,” he said, referring to his family-owned media business.

Thanathorn said his party would carry on regardless of his status as an MP, which he called irrelevant in deliberations over whether the party should be dissolved. 

“FWP is a forever journey and I am still the party’s leader,” he said.

The court ruled 7-2 that Thanathorn had failed to prove he’d signed over his shares in V Luck before he registered to run in the March election, contrary to the law. 

The court affirmed that he can no longer serve as an MP but it did not sentence him to jail for election fraud, as his supporters feared.

Manop Keereepuwadol, the 53rd-named contender in Future Forward’s party-list quota, will assume Thanathorn’s seat in Parliament.

Party spokesperson Pannika Wanich declared on Twitter, “Although MP status has been ended, Thanathorn is still the team leader ... Future Forward Party is preparing for censure debate on Prayut’s government in mid-December. Those who have evidence of government corruption and abuse of power can send it to [email protected].”

Numerous people were at the court to offer Thanathorn moral support and foreign diplomats attended the session to hear the verdict.

Observers have said the verdict could lead to Future Forward’s early demise, noting that other charges against him are still waiting to be tried in court.

It’s also been claimed that 64 other members of Parliament held media-company shares when they registered for the election. Election Commission decisions in those cases are awaited.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378561

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-20

28 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The court ruled 7-2 that Thanathorn had failed to prove he’d signed over his shares in V Luck before he registered to run in the March election, contrary to the law. 

I always thought that the prosecutor must prove guilt, rather than the defence having to prove innocence.

55 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I always thought that the prosecutor must prove guilt, rather than the defence having to prove innocence.

Indeed, and I think they would have approached the case like that if the accused was a khon-dee pro junta member. (For instance: there is no evidence that General Piggy did not borrow those watches so...).

Foreign observers were there.....that speaks volumes in support for this intelligent, forward thinking future of Thailand.

Thai people, listen....the developed world knows the injustices that are going on in your country....it's in the news worldwide. Do not be scared of these military criminals ....you need to be stronger.

Stand up for democracy...fight for it peacefully, and you will have it!

The power of the people and the word is always stronger than the sword....it's been proved countless times, and will continue to be so always!

Good luck good people.

If he got no votes or very few, this case would have not gotten any legs,

proof that the election result was unsettling, (the military hiding in suits government)

has now to decide how viciously they pursue the on coming ban from politics for Khun Thanathorn, removal of his ability to take part in the next election would seem the very basic pursuit, 

and have themselves a smug time that an opposition threat has been removed for the near term,

I Seem to remember a story of Robert the Bruce, maybe it will take that determination for Khun Thanathorn to return.

11 hours ago, Suua said:
11 hours ago, Suua said:

The power of the people and the word is always stronger than the sword....it's been proved countless times, and will continue to be so always!

Good luck good people.

Lovely words but they are wasted in this country. London to a brick pre-1932 is the future for this country and Thais will do nothing about it.

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

2 hours ago, Jessi said:

This proves that Corruption in Thailand is at the highest level.

This shows how the “system” change after the army take over 5 years ago. And again after the “elections”.

And who give the job to decide this case.

My English is not enough to translate. If you not read thai, ask your thai friend to explain.

17C9F28D-EA8D-4EB4-AC3A-3AD142B33585.jpeg

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

But you are referring to a justice system where a decision is based on evidence. In comparison to Thai justice where the decision is made first then evidence used or ignored to justify the desired result.

52 minutes ago, harada said:

This guy's downfall was being intelligent and threatening the military's access to the trough.

Nope. His downfall was, just like other hiso very rich billionaires, he probably thinks the laws and rules don't apply to him. He's above all that; they're just for the small people.

Otherwise he'd have made sure the minions kept their focus on making sure everything was squeaky clean. And squeaky clean, whiter than white, and be seen to be so, it must be when you're not the one in power and a threat to those who are.

15 hours ago, Suua said:

Foreign observers were there.....that speaks volumes in support for this intelligent, forward thinking future of Thailand.

Thai people, listen....the developed world knows the injustices that are going on in your country....it's in the news worldwide. Do not be scared of these military criminals ....you need to be stronger.

Good luck good people.

like 2010?

sad sad Thailand. quiet afraid people bullied into submission. on many levels. You would have to fundamentally change Thai culture to get the kind of reaction needed. hence the pushing. I wont say anymore but it goes beyond government....all the way to lese majeste

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

This shows how the “system” change after the army take over 5 years ago. And again after the “elections”.

And who give the job to decide this case.

My English is not enough to translate. If you not read thai, ask your thai friend to explain.

17C9F28D-EA8D-4EB4-AC3A-3AD142B33585.jpeg

As usual Yin, I dont have a clue what you are talking about...????

2 hours ago, briansbiology said:

like 2010?

sad sad Thailand. quiet afraid people bullied into submission. on many levels. You would have to fundamentally change Thai culture to get the kind of reaction needed. hence the pushing. I wont say anymore but it goes beyond government....all the way to lese majeste

Perhaps the older generation, that was the past.

Today the younger smartphone/internet enabled youth, where worldwide information is only seconds away, will be a different kettle of fish.....only a matter of time.

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Nope. His downfall was, just like other hiso very rich billionaires, he probably thinks the laws and rules don't apply to him. He's above all that; they're just for the small people.

Otherwise he'd have made sure the minions kept their focus on making sure everything was squeaky clean. And squeaky clean, whiter than white, and be seen to be so, it must be when you're not the one in power and a threat to those who are.

Maybe.  But, it's clear to me that if it wasn't the media shares they would have just come up with something else equally lame and ridiculous--like criticizing the junta on the internet. (WHAT???)  They wanted him out and he's out--for now.  But, 'be careful what you wish for' is likely going to bite them down the road.  And, at present, the junta must be gnashing their collective teeth that he was just named to Time's Next 100 List for the World.  

Archived