TM30 and Chaeng Watanna

First let me apologise for another TM30 question.

Does anyone know how Chaeng Watanna interpret the rules?

I'm staying away from home, in a hotel, in another province for one night. Will my wife have to re-register me when I get back?

Some say you only need to re-register after leaving the country. No need if you just stay overnight in another province in Thailand.

I was there this morning with a print out of the screenshot of my online TM30 report. This was made when I last came into the country. That seemed to be all they needed. Was never questioned. I have not stayed in a hotel where another TM30 report might have been made since coming back to Thailand to test your specific question. My impression was that they only checked most recent entry into the country against TM30 report.

• Like 1

Yes you or landlord or in your case seems your wife, has to report a TM30 again upon your return home. Chaengwattana enforcing to the letter of the law. 

Last week the JFCCT met with Kobsak but looks like still nothing progressing on TM30 issue. You can search Kang's FB for details. 

OP, are you sure the hotel filed a TM30 ?

i live in BKK but travel to buriram nearly every month (stay in hotel).  when i went to CW to do my extension in may of this year, i was told the most recent TM30 on file for me was from my usual buriram hotel in january of 2019.  but i also stayed there in feb and march.  so this hotel (and i suspect others) don't always file the TM30.  

as a result, i'm having my BKK landlord file the TM30 in early may each year and not bothering with filing one every time i come back from buriram (or when i return from overseas, which happens several times a year). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, buick said:

...as a result, i'm having my BKK landlord file the TM30 in early may each year and not bothering with filing one every time i come back from buriram (or when i return from overseas, which happens several times a year). 

Yes, that's the sensible and practical way to do it.

TM30 compliance is ONLY checked when you visit you provincial IO for a service where they need your current address (e.g. extension of stay / residence permit).  And IO is not interested in your history of stays, but will only look whether a TM30 has been filed from the place where you are currently staying.

So asking your landlord to file the TM30 of you staying there in the weeks/days preceding your planned visit to the provincial IO, is a practical way to deal with the whole thing.

In case your landlord refuses to do it, you could of course register yourself as tenant of the place where you are staying and file your TM30s on-line (or only file a current one before visiting your provincial IO).

Registering and filing TM30s on-line on the IO TM30 website is easy (if you know how to do it).  And once you are registered and filed the 1st one, subsequent ones are a piece of cake and take less than a minute.

Feel free to PM me for a step-by-step instruction on how to do it. 

• Like 2

The general trend lately for TM30 reports here seems to be of various Immigration offices backing off on/not enforcing the domestic travel TM30 reporting requirement, but still enforcing it for folks returning from international travel.

However, I'm not sure I can recall a specific post on that exact point lately from BKK CW, and by lately, I mean after the big fuss was raised (rightly so) by the chambers of commerce and Richard Barrow, etc etc. So I too would like to know exactly what posture BKK CW is taking these days.

And to whatever extent BKK CW may be requiring TM30s still, AFAIK, it only comes into play, as folks mentioned above, when you go there for things like extension of stay applications. So if I had any international travel planned, I'd do one just after returning from my last foreign travel trip PRIOR to heading off to BKK CW for an extension of stay visit.

In my case, I know BKK CW definitely was demanding TM30 paperwork when i went there to do my retirement extension in late June. However, that was before the main part of the TM30 public fuss had occurred.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The general trend lately for TM30 reports here seems to be of various Immigration offices backing off on/not enforcing the domestic travel TM30 reporting requirement, but still enforcing it for folks returning from international travel.

However, I'm not sure I can recall a specific post on that exact point lately from BKK CW, and by lately, I mean after the big fuss was raised (rightly so) by the chambers of commerce and Richard Barrow, etc etc. So I too would like to know exactly what posture BKK CW is taking these days.

And to whatever extent BKK CW may be requiring TM30s still, AFAIK, it only comes into play, as folks mentioned above, when you go there for things like extension of stay applications. So if I had any international travel planned, I'd do one just after returning from my last foreign travel trip PRIOR to heading off to BKK CW for an extension of stay visit.

In my case, I know BKK CW definitely was demanding TM30 paperwork when i went there to do my retirement extension in late June. However, that was before the main part of the TM30 public fuss had occurred.

I can only relate first hand what happened to me Oct 8 CW. 

I attended imm for annual extension (retirement). I asked my condo to do tm30 upon my last reentry on Oct 5. 

Fist one my condo ever did in 7 years same place. 

Point is I had read many previous reports from members of first up being asked for tm30, then being sent off to other que line.

In my case the first comment io was "bankbook please".....etc.

She crossed off and ticked off all docs. 

My last page was print out of tm30 from my condo office. She did not even pick it up. Just pushed it back and said..."you need keep"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I can only relate first hand what happened to me Oct 8 CW. 

I attended imm for annual extension (retirement). I asked my condo to do tm30 upon my last reentry on Oct 5. 

Fist one my condo ever did in 7 years same place. 

Point is I had read many previous reports from members of first up being asked for tm30, then being sent off to other que line.

In my case the first comment io was "bankbook please".....etc.

She crossed off and ticked off all docs. 

My last page was print out of tm30 from my condo office. She did not even pick it up. Just pushed it back and said..."you need keep"

Hopefully that means BKK CW, and other IOs, have really had a change of heart on TM30s in response to all the public furor...

Also hopefully, other folks going to BKK CW for their extensions in the coming weeks and months will continue to report similar experiences as yours!

5 hours ago, buick said:

so this hotel (and i suspect others) don't always file the TM30.  

I was told by my local Immigration office that hotels are not required to report a guest who only stays 1 or 2 nights (it's optional).  When I stated that I don't remember reading that in the rules and asked if they would be fined for not filing a TM30 .... I was given the look and told "No".

So basically I made a 3 hour round trip to do my TM30 (after staying in a hotel in Bangkok) for nothing as I was told there was no report on file of me staying in the hotel in the first place, therefore no TM30 was needed.  TIT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hopefully that means BKK CW, and other IOs, have really had a change of heart on TM30s in response to all the public furor...

Also hopefully, other folks going to BKK CW for their extensions in the coming weeks and months will continue to report similar experiences as yours!

The immigration officer meant that he should keep the TM30 copy/receipt. The last time I did a TM30 report, the officer stapled my receipt in my passport. It's been there since that day. 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The immigration officer meant that he should keep the TM30 copy/receipt. The last time I did a TM30 report, the officer stapled my receipt in my passport. It's been there since that day. 

When I went in June, without me saying anything, the officer specifically asked me to provide my original TM30 receipt, which I had. She took it, made a copy of it along with my 90-day report slip, and included both in my extension of stay paperwork file she was processing. And then gave me back the original to keep in my passport.

From the prior poster's report, it sounds like they're not doing that anymore. Not even asking for it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I went in June, without me saying anything, the officer specifically asked me to provide my original TM30 receipt, which I had. She took it, made a copy of it along with my 90-day report slip, and included both in my extension of stay paperwork file she was processing. And then gave me back the original to keep in my passport.

From the prior poster's report, it sounds like they're not doing that anymore. Not even asking for it.

Or, the officer didn't need/want a copy because she saw that the TM30 report was ok. I'm also attaching a copy of my TM30 receipt when applying for my 1 year extensions. For my next extension, I'm thinking about making a copy as usual, but not include it with the other documents. Just to see if they want it. If they ask for it, I will just apologize and give them the copy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Do you ever travel outside of Thailand?

Last time was at the end of March this year. I’ve been outside of Bangkok many times since then. 

My friend who did his WP back in April said that the first thing they asked for as he got his queue ticket was the TM30. Which he didn’t have one. 

I have to go next Friday to extend a visa exemption. My landlord wont do it, and I can't figure out how to do it myself so my plan (suggested by a fellow TV member) is to check into a hotel the night before and ask for a printout of the TM30 when I check in. I don't know if they will ask where I stayed before my night in the hotel but that's the best plan I've go so far as my landlord will not budge on the matter. I'm already nervous about it. 

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

I have to go next Friday to extend a visa exemption. My landlord wont do it, and I can't figure out how to do it myself so my plan (suggested by a fellow TV member) is to check into a hotel the night before and ask for a printout of the TM30 when I check in. I don't know if they will ask where I stayed before my night in the hotel but that's the best plan I've go so far as my landlord will not budge on the matter. I'm already nervous about it. 

Hi Stephen,

Your plan should work, so no worries.

1. Check-in to the Hotel the night before going to visit your provincial IO for the extension of stay.

The Hotel should ask for your passport and also needs the number of the small TM6 entry/departure card you received when entering Thailand, otherwise they will not be able to file a TM30 of you staying there.

2. When you leave next morning to go to the provincial IO, ask them NOT to check you out before you return or call them.  You can also ask them for a print-out of the TM30 they made of you staying there.

3. The provincial IO is NOT interested in your history of stays (or wether TM30s were filed for it).  They ONLY want to see that a current TM30 is on-file of the place where you are staying at the moment when you visit them.

4. If they do ask where you are actually staying (as the Hotel will be only from day before), don't make up any stories but tell them the truth that the landlord of the place you are renting refuses to file your TM30, and since you knew that it was required you reverted to the 1-night Hotel solution.

Obviously that might evoke a fine for your landlord as he is not complying with thai law, but that's not your fault.

5. If you still have the opportunity, ask your landlord for a copy of the housebook of the place where you are staying, and a signed front/back cover of the thai ID-card of the owner.  Bring this with you (as well as a copy of the rental contract) as that documentation will allow IO to file a TM30 on the spot.

6. Some provincial IO's don't enforce TM30 compliance, so it's possible that you are not even queried about it.

And in that case: don't bring it up, and don't wake any sleeping dogs.

7. To avoid the stress next year, you can also register on-line as the TENANT of the place where you are staying, which will allow you to do your TM30 filings on-line.  But you would need to upload a copy of the housebook of the place you are staying and the signed front/back copy of the Thai ID-card of the owner, to register.

Note: If you want to go that road, just PM me and I will sent you a step-by-step instruction on how to do it.

8. Success and no worries > TM30 is a nuisance but it's a non-issue.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Last time was at the end of March this year. I’ve been outside of Bangkok many times since then. 

Thanks for the clarification about your prior foreign travel. I was just asking if you'd had an international arrival during the year prior to your extension application, because that in theory would have triggered a TM30 requirement. But obviously in your case, lately, the IO didn't broach it... Which is very good to hear for BKK CW!

5 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Were you ever reported in the TM30 system before during your current stay in Thailand?

You could just go to BKK CW and see if they ask you about the TM30, and if they do, file the notice there at their counter. If they wanted to be @#@#@s, there could be a fine, though I doubt they would these days. But it would save you an otherwise unnecessary hotel stay.

Do you have any supporting documents like a copy of your lease/rental agreement, a copy of your landlord's tabien ban or Thai ID, etc etc?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Stephen,

Your plan should work, so no worries.

1. Check-in to the Hotel the night before going to visit your provincial IO for the extension of stay.

The Hotel should ask for your passport and also needs the number of the small TM6 entry/departure card you received when entering Thailand, otherwise they will not be able to file a TM30 of you staying there.

2. When you leave next morning to go to the provincial IO, ask them NOT to check you out before you return or call them.  You can also ask them for a print-out of the TM30 they made of you staying there.

3. The provincial IO is NOT interested in your history of stays (or wether TM30s were filed for it).  They ONLY want to see that a current TM30 is on-file of the place where you are staying at the moment when you visit them.

4. If they do ask where you are actually staying (as the Hotel will be only from day before), don't make up any stories but tell them the truth that the landlord of the place you are renting refuses to file your TM30, and since you knew that it was required you reverted to the 1-night Hotel solution.

Obviously that might evoke a fine for your landlord as he is not complying with thai law, but that's not your fault.

5. If you still have the opportunity, ask your landlord for a copy of the housebook of the place where you are staying, and a signed front/back cover of the thai ID-card of the owner.  Bring this with you (as well as a copy of the rental contract) as that documentation will allow IO to file a TM30 on the spot.

6. Some provincial IO's don't enforce TM30 compliance, so it's possible that you are not even queried about it.

And in that case: don't bring it up, and don't wake any sleeping dogs.

7. To avoid the stress next year, you can also register on-line as the TENANT of the place where you are staying, which will allow you to do your TM30 filings on-line.  But you would need to upload a copy of the housebook of the place you are staying and the signed front/back copy of the Thai ID-card of the owner, to register.

Note: If you want to go that road, just PM me and I will sent you a step-by-step instruction on how to do it.

8. Success and no worries > TM30 is a nuisance but it's a non-issue.

9. At CW immigration they actually accept the TM30 to be self reported by the tenant as the possessor. They want a copy of the contract and the usual copies from the passport and departure card. Everything signed at the bottom in blue ink. 

But, as you mention under 7. it's possible to register online as a foreigner, then as the possessor. You can do it by submitting only 2 documents: The first page in the rental contract and the photo/info page from your passport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

9. At CW immigration they actually accept the TM30 to be self reported by the tenant as the possessor. They want a copy of the contract and the usual copies from the passport and departure card. Everything signed at the bottom in blue ink. 

@stephen tracy

Then obviously that's an easier and better solution than checking into an hotel to meet the TM30 requirement.

• Like 1