AOT nods to second terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

By THE NATION

800_01671ed2edcf359.jpg?v=1574254202

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) board yesterday (November 20) approved a plan to establish a second terminal on the northern part of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The board also nodded to a 50 per cent discount in landing fee for international charter flights at six airports under the AOT for a period of five months.

The discount measure will run from December 1 this year to April 30 next year as part of an AOT strategy to boost tourism in the short term.

AOT has 6 international airports under its management: Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Chiang Rai and Suvarnabhumi.

The agency would submit plan for the second terminal to the Transport Ministry soon, said AOT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn. 

Construction cost of the new terminal is estimated at Bt42 billion. It is expected to become operational in 2023 or 2024, to help ease passenger traffic at the airport.

The new terminal will be able to serve a maximum of 40 million passengers a year. Once opened, the airport will be able to serve a total of 82 million passengers annually. 

The AOT board meeting yesterday also approved the fifth master plan for Suvarnabhumi Airport, focusing on its role in connectivity of the three international airports with the Eastern Economic Corridor.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30378563

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-21

5 hours ago, webfact said:

First things first. As a matter of priority there needs to be a envelope tender to decide who will hold the duty free franchise for the new terminal.

3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Build a third runway first. Easily done and very necessary considering the quality problems with the first 2 runways which require frequent maintenance. 

Yes, build the 3rd runway now.

Airport is now operating over its flight capacity and has been so for years. The new terminal should wait if it's a matter of funding priority.  

On 11/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Maybe there won't be a need for a 2nd terminal by 2023.....

On the contrary, I have just consulted the dartboard and my estimate is 63 million tourists next year who will spend 5.8 trillion baht! I will consult my fortune teller to verify these numbers!

Archived