Air Asia / International Departure / 11AM Flight

alt

Hi all,

I've never flown out of DMK international, so did a bit of Googling. Reviews seem to suggest it's a nightmare.

We fly out on Dec 8 @ 11AM. 

We will have checked-in online and have carry-on (7kg) in a 50l soft bag that will compress to about 35l.

Would we be safe arriving at 8AM? If so, what time should we be leaving Rambuttri (next to Khao San Rd) (Grab) at? We've always stayed on Sukhumvit but wanted to stay close to Khao San for a night for the fun of it.

Also, doing a bit more Googling, departures seem to be a bit of a nightmare... online check-in but 'no bag drop' - Can we carry such hand-luggage with us, or do we still have to check it in? (I remember with Nok Air on their tiny turbo props we still had to check in the luggage, I know Air Asia planes are larger). 

The final hurdle is that I read about going to kiosks to get a print out? What is this? Or is it kodwallop? Basically trying to find out.... If we don't have to check in luggage and check-in online, can we go straight to Immigration?

Thank a lot all.... a bit apprehensive about this as we haven't flown international from Don Muang in the past, and it seems a total nightmare from what I read online.

I think you still have to go to a machine to print out your boarding pass, and being Johnny foreigner I guess you will still have to have your passport checked, and Air Asia weigh your carry-on. What IS the point of online check-in anyone?

My experience with Air Asia:

Check in online

If you have no printer at home you can print boarding cards yourself at the airport (do they call this a kiosk?)  There is no staff, you can enter your fight number and the machine will print the boarding card for you. These machines are easy to use.

If your hand-luggage is within limits you can go to the gate. If your hand-luggage is too heavy you can try to go to the gates too. I never saw them checking anything at the gate.

I only had problems with Air Asia when we were not checked in and had to do this at the airport and when we had to check-in luggage. When they saw hand-luggage they wanted to weigh it. 1 kg too much means that you have to check-in your hand luggage too.

Excellent, thanks!

I have just had a flash back of going to the kiosk to print off the boarding pass... it came in the form of a receipt!

We will be able to check-in online and we will certainly be able to carry our hand luggage with us.... thanks again!

3 hours ago, alt said:

Excellent, thanks!

I have just had a flash back of going to the kiosk to print off the boarding pass... it came in the form of a receipt!

We will be able to check-in online and we will certainly be able to carry our hand luggage with us.... thanks again!

Printing boarding pass from kiosk can be hit and miss. I encountered problems in the past where kiosk cannot find my booking and I need to queue up at the check in counter to get my boarding pass. If you can print the boarding pass at home, please do so to save time.

The Kiosk machine will issue boarding passes on applicable flights only, some flights are not possible that is why some folks have problems with these machines. 

I suggest you get to the airport as early as possible to avoid rushing and any problem that can occur.

International flights, one should be there 2-2.5 hrs before the flight minimum. Domestic 1-1.5 hrs minimum.

DMK can be very busy at times and traffic leading into DMK will be slow and heavy, so leave your hotel/room early.

6 hours ago, alt said:

The final hurdle is that I read about going to kiosks to get a print out? What is this? Or is it kodwallop? Basically trying to find out.... If we don't have to check in luggage and check-in online, can we go straight to Immigration?

It depends on your nationality and your destination.

Returning to your home country with only hand baggage ....... check in online.

Travelling to a 3rd country where you can be refused entry, or with hold baggage ....... check in desk.

Thanks all.

We are Irish and travelling from DMK to Mandalay (We have eVisa sorted).

Air Asia says we can check-in online in 7 days - let's see what happens. If it gives me a boarding pass, i'll assume I can go straight to Immigration (We have 7Kg hand luggage within the allowed size).

If it turns out they need to check our eVisa before boarding, i'm guessing we'll have to go to check-in counter.

Hopefully we'll be OK arriving 3 hours before the flight (aim to arrive 8AM for 11:10AM flight)

And hopefully we'll be OK leaving the Khao San area at 7AM (Grab) to arrive at DMK for 8AM

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For international flight you must ho to the check in counter. I think they have some designated for Web checkin.

Thanks for the confirmation! If I can cehck-in online i'll do that regardless, in the hope that there are dedicated (and maybe not so busy) web check-in desks.

• 3 weeks later...

Again seems to me that allthose new devices plus the express belief by 99,99% of those young newbies that anything in this world has to be done on their fone makes the confusion.

Its to late for them irish, but arriving 3 hrs before is complete nonsense.

The new blue A4 bus direkt from around Khao Sarn will also not be able to deliver you that early, not even on suns. A combo of the nr 3 or 524 and the A2/3 might do.

Its not kiosks, its simply a few machines that about any EUR airport also has a plenty for check-in. AND somewhere along the trail they need to check that you have valid passpts and visa for Phima, thats all. They will find you eve if you pass by it, the latest in the boarding assembly hall. This check simply only mans a curl on your boarding pass and probably now also a YES tapped into their pax list.

Update....

Air Asia check-in a mess. No structure. 1hr 30m check-in. Bag drop / check-in / document check all the one Q (I asked). The lady spent about 5 mins checking our evisa for Myanmar. Went through every single letter on our names twice... No room for error there.

Immigration approx 45 seconds (yes, seconds). There was a Q at the first set of booths opposite Air Asia counters  (1 +2).... just walked up to the next set of booths and there were more counters open than people, so straight to the counter. 

Security approx 2 min.

Glad we arrived almost 3 hours before departure. No worrying during check in and relaxed with a few drinks before a leisurely stroll to the gate.

Just flown BFV-DMK-RGN and back with Air Asia plus we had hold luggage. No printer. Used kiosks at BFV and DMK no problem. Only problem at RGN was a German couple who were overweight, their luggage, and had 15 min argument over excess charge. First time I've used DMK since it reopened. First used it in 1983. Loved what they've done to it particularly on the domestic side.

Archived