Thai elite visa

20 minutes ago, scotty4243 said:

Can anyone confirm that towards the end of the 5 year Elite Visa if you obtain a one year extension you will in effect get nearly 6 years, there seems to be varying opinions on this?

Not sure you could go to a immigration office to apply for a one year extension. But you could leave and re-enter the country to get a new one year entry.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure you could go to a immigration office to apply for a one year extension. But you could leave and re-enter the country to get a new one year entry.

Thanks for the reply, there seems to be confusion whether that final 1 year stamp that would take you possibly up to the 6 year mark is valid!

13 minutes ago, scotty4243 said:

Thanks for the reply, there seems to be confusion whether that final 1 year stamp that would take you possibly up to the 6 year mark is valid!

The confusion is caused by Thailand Elite.

It's within the official rules to obtain a new one year entry shortly before the visa expires, thus giving you nearly 6 years.

Thailand Elite says that this is not allowed because they want to sell you a new membership after 5 instead of 6 years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, scotty4243 said:

Thanks that indeed makes sense! Are there any Elite Card members out there who are getting this extra year out of the Elite Card?

I have a 20 year TE visa so I'll check in with you in 2040.

• Haha 1

Sorry if this has been answered before but is it possible to upgrade a 5 year 500KB elite to a 20 year 1MB elite visa? 5 years sound great but the 20 year version while being a lot more expensive is much cheaper on a yearly basis.

Still 500k for 5 years is 100k per year which is less than 2800 euros. That's really not a lot of money if I take in account I don't have to do relatively expensive visa runs anymore. 4 visa runs per year easily cost me 1000 euros (flights, hotel, taxis, visa) but probably closer to 1500 euros, and then I'm not even taking in account the time all these runs take. So paying somewhere around 1300 euros extra per year to save myself from all the trouble sounds like an awesome deal.

500k is still a lot of money to cough up and if I do I'd probably wait another 4 years. Then I turn 44 yo and hopefully I can then enter right before the elite visa expires to get a 6th year stay. After that I'd simply hop to a retirement visa instead. But if the upgrade to 20 years is possible I might actually already apply for the 5 year version next year and then upgrade to the 20 year scheme so I don't even have to bother with a retirement visa later on.

Of course in the era of rogue viruses being able to stay in the country indefinitely long term and without worries is a huge bonus. That's priceless and well worth the cash.

Edited by AgentSmith
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

17 hours ago, wasabi said:

I have a 20 year TE visa so I'll check in with you in 2040.

Looking forward to it!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Still 500k for 5 years is 100k per year which is less than 2800 euros. That's really not a lot of money if I take in account I don't have to do relatively expensive visa runs anymore. 4 visa runs per year easily cost me 1000 euros (flights, hotel, taxis, visa) but probably closer to 1500 euros, and then I'm not even taking in account the time all these runs take. So paying somewhere around 1300 euros extra per year to save myself from all the trouble sounds like an awesome deal.

500k is still a lot of money to cough up and if I do I'd probably wait another 4 years. Then I turn 44 yo and hopefully I can then enter right before the elite visa expires to get a 6th year stay. After that I'd simply hop to a retirement visa instead. But if the upgrade to 20 years is possible I might actually already apply for the 5 year version next year and then upgrade to the 20 year scheme so I don't even have to bother with a retirement visa later on.

It's not clear for me with what Visa you are presently staying in Thailand.

Since you are 40 years of age and are talking about 3-monthly border-runs, I presume that you are on a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

If that's the case, did you consider applying for the 1-year extension of that Visa in country?

Doing so you would not have to do the - in your case - costly 3-monthly border-runs.

Obviously, to apply for the 1-year extension at your local IO you need to meet the administrative and financial requirements.

The admin requirements are mainly about providing evidence that you are still married to a thai national.

To meet the financial requirements there are 4 methods and you can choose the one which is most convenient for you:

a) money-in-bank method < 400K on a personal thai bank-account seasoned for 2 months before doing the 1-year extension application and kept there till it is approved, rest of the year you can use that 400K as your please, and need to top up again to 400K two months before next 1-year extension >

b) monthly-income transfer method < 40K monthly income transfers, you need to show proof of at least 2 of such transfers before applying for the very first 1-year extension, and then keep doing such transfers every month >

c) embassy-issued income-statement method < if you can provide proof of income from abroad, e.g. a pension statement of 40K monthly, AND your embassy can provide you with a statement confirming this - Note: US, UK and Australian embassies do not issue such a statement, so that method cannot be used if you are a citizen of those countries >

d) combination method

= = = = =

On first view the 400K to be locked up for 2 months per year on a personal thai bank-account sounds almost same as the 500K for the EliteVisa.  However, be aware that the EV 500K is 'lost' the moment you pay it (even if due to circumstances you cannot stay in Thailand any longer), and that the 400K on the thai bank can be used during the year to pay your living expenses or any costs you have.

Obviously, if 500K is relative peanuts for you then the EliteVisa is well worth the investment. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, scotty4243 said:

Can anyone confirm that towards the end of the 5 year Elite Visa if you obtain a one year extension you will in effect get nearly 6 years, there seems to be varying opinions on this?

Last stamp several weeks ago the date is hand written and only until my elite visa expiration date which is also the same than my passport exp. date on this September.

Stamp before that on last December was normal 1 year even though my visa and passport was already valid less than one year that time.

No logic but that's not unusual.

27 minutes ago, dblh said:

Last stamp several weeks ago the date is hand written and only until my elite visa expiration date which is also the same than my passport exp. date on this September.

That your passport validity expires on same date as your Elite Visa validity, muddles the issue as it cannot be determined now whether your present permission to stay is based on

- passport validity expiry date;

- Elite Visa validity expiry date.

From other reports it seems that on re-entering Thailand before your Elite Visa validity has expired, you will be stamped in for the full 1 year permission to stay that Visa provides you.

But the Elite Visa commercial boys would of course like you to renew your Elite Visa subscription at the end of the 5th year, and not you making use of the 6th year permission to stay it can provide. 

And so they have been using the argument that staying the 6th year is 'illegal' because your Elite Visa subscription is only for 5 years (sort of like staying in the country on a marriage Visa permission to stay after being divorced, or staying in country on a Non Imm O retirement Visa while you have gone under the 800K/400K tresshold).

The only ones that can shed definite light on this matter are the EliteVisa organization but they are of course rather biased on this matter...

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's not clear for me with what Visa you are presently staying in Thailand.

Since you are 40 years of age and are talking about 3-monthly border-runs, I presume that you are on a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

If that's the case, did you consider applying for the 1-year extension of that Visa in country?

Thanks. I know all that but I'm just not the type that gets married for visa reasons. I'm here on tourism basis, something I usually don't advertise here because that's frowned upon by so many. (I don't really care as long as immigration doesn't care though..) I'm in a life situation that emerged over time. I am one of those travelers that lingered longer and longer until it wasn't a vacation anymore. I believe in tax systems and I'd love to contribute by paying a certain amount of money if I get something in return. In my 'home' country that meant proper infrastructure and good healthcare among other things. If that's some kind of residence status here then that's really great too. It wouldn't feel as if the money is lost if it gives peace in mind in return.

3 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

Thanks. I know all that but I'm just not the type that gets married for visa reasons. I'm here on tourism basis, something I usually don't advertise here because that's frowned upon by so many. (I don't really care as long as immigration doesn't care though..) I'm in a life situation that emerged over time. I am one of those travelers that lingered longer and longer until it wasn't a vacation anymore. I believe in tax systems and I'd love to contribute by paying a certain amount of money if I get something in return. In my 'home' country that meant proper infrastructure and good healthcare among other things. If that's some kind of residence status here then that's really great too. It wouldn't feel as if the money is lost if it gives peace in mind in return.

Yes, if you are under 50 and not married to a thai national, only the ED Visa and the Elite Visa are options to stay semi long-term in Thailand.

And indeed, the EliteVisa is surely not money lost in your situation as it avoids the continual Sword of Damocles of not being allowed to re-enter on one of the border-runs you need to do.

22 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That your passport validity expires on same date as your Elite Visa validity, muddles the issue as it cannot be determined now whether your present permission to stay is based on

- passport validity expiry date;

- Elite Visa validity expiry date.

Last December I got 1 year stamp regardless of my visa or passport validity, which was only 9 months at that tim, so something is changed or its IO who is making that decision. This time she was asking me how long I'm going to stay and pointing the visa expiration date.

I still have 2.5 years left of my 5 year membership though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, unsubscribe said:

I'm wondering, in light of the current/future tourism struggles, if there may be a discount or special offer on obtaining the elite visa in the near future. 

3 months later, still haven't seen any discount ????

With so much uncertainty now, and plans to return to Thailand when it reopens, I'm thinking to get a Tourist Visa or Educational Visa from a language school if they're open... then grab the Elite Visa while in Thailand when/if prices drop... or just before Visa ends (whichever comes first).

I feel much safer in Thailand than in the states and cost of living is dramatically lower.

No, extra time visa wise will not be given.

The Elite visa follows the expiration date of one’s passport.

Even if you have just obtained a five year visa and your passport expires in, let’s say, 2 years, then your visa will expire in two years and you will get a 3 year visa on your new passport.

Also, if you have a six month remaining on your visa, then the officer will not give you one year as they have to follow the date of expiration of your visa. 
that works the same way for every visa , I do not see how elite visas would be different.

2 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

3 months later, still haven't seen any discount ????

And years later either ....crisis in 2008...same price until

now 

They will not review their membership fee especially since they introduced all these categories ( 5 , 20, family ) 

the number of members has increased significantly since them ( there were only 2000 members up til 12 year ago )

1 hour ago, alyx said:

No, extra time visa wise will not be given.

The Elite visa follows the expiration date of one’s passport.

Even if you have just obtained a five year visa and your passport expires in, let’s say, 2 years, then your visa will expire in two years and you will get a 3 year visa on your new passport.

Also, if you have a six month remaining on your visa, then the officer will not give you one year as they have to follow the date of expiration of your visa. 
that works the same way for every visa , I do not see how elite visas would be different.

Thanks but this doesn't make any sense, if the maximum age of my passport is 10 years... how would they ever sell a 20 year visa?

Edited by unsubscribe

So spoke with Thai Elite and they said that for 20 year visa, they issue 5 yr visas that renew. For each of those visas there must be at least 5 years left on passport before the passport expires, otherwise the visa expires with the passport.

So with a 20 year visa, I just need 5+ years left on my passport each time they issue me one of the 5 year visas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this makes sense, thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

Thanks but this doesn't make any sense, if the maximum age of my passport is 10 years... how would they ever sell a 20 year visa?

I am talking about a possible sixth year when holding a five year visa 

and I specified that if a passport ends before the visa expiration ends, this very visa will be honorer in the new passport 

of course, and you have had confirmation with the member service, every 5 year you will be issued a new 5 year visa until the X years are completed 
And NO your passport doesn’t have to have five year left to be issued a new visa ....and what I am stating is from personal experience ....and I hold a lifetime visa 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:24 PM, Ratt Thai said:

Google translated: pay special attention to art: 1

As far as i can find, this is the latest version ?
Then it means ? 

Thailand Elite is a Privileged Entry Visa period.

Announcement of the Ministry of Interior

Subject: Special permission for certain classes of aliens to enter the Kingdom

Which is expedient to allow foreigners who receive a Thailand Privilege Card to enter the Kingdom of Thailand as a special case

By virtue of Article 17 of the Immigration Act, 1979, the Minister of Interior With the approval of the Cabinet on 12 November 2012, hereby issues the announcement as follows:

Article 1: Foreigners who have received a Thailand Privilege Card from the date this announcement comes into force in Thailand Under the conditions and exempted, it is not necessary to comply with the Immigration Act 1979 in the case as specified in this announcement.

Article 2 Persons under Article 1 shall have the right to receive a Privilege Entry Visa from an embassy in a foreign country. Or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or from the Office of Immigration For use for five years with an unlimited number of times throughout the membership card, with the exception of visa fees.

Article 3 When the persons under Article 1 enter the Kingdom The immigration official shall check and authorize to stay in the Kingdom for one year every time. Traveling to the Kingdom on an unlimited number of times

Article 4 Permission to temporarily stay After the expiration of the permit under Article 3, the immigration authority shall have the power to grant permission to continue for one year at a time. By submitting an application in accordance with the form and paying fees as specified in the Ministerial Regulations

Article 5 [1] This notification shall come into force from the day following the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.

Announced on 22 February B.E. 2556

Charupong Rueangsuwan

Minister of the Interior

I am trying to find the original Thai version of the above translation also information about this in the Government Gazette do you have any links?

Many thanks in advance.