Thai elite visa

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And if you average it out over 20 years, 1 Million baht is approximately 137 baht per day - it suddenly doesn't seem so crazy.

The 5 year Visa for 500,000 baht works out at 274 baht per day. 

Need to add the money you lose from investing then it looks a bit more silly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

When averaged out per day... (137 baht per day) - I spend more on Petrol, More on beer, More on food, More on my Son's education etc... 

If its affordable then its affordable, depends on ones disposable income and visa situation, but it certainly isn't cheap and you gotta really want to be in thailand pretty badly for that price point to be acceptable. I can think of about 10 things right off the top of my head that would provide a greater return on $20k than this visa. 

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasThBKK said:

Then add the money you save from not beeing stuck in europe and paying 50% taxes on worldwide income, suddenly it throws money at you.

Sure but I have other options. Elite would be the last of one. I can understand it makes sense for some. I have a wife and I keep this money invested for my familly. 

53 minutes ago, toolpush said:

image.png.8138cca6b5c6ddf7f0a4c3f790855120.png

From Thai Privilege Elite Website. I rest my case.

Again, that statement is wrong. TE are not immigration or quoting law. It’s opinion.

I’ve explained how the PE visa came about and why it is not — under immigration law/regulation — a Tourist Visa. 

That statement on the TE website is simply pointing out that — like a Tourist Visa — you cannot work and would need a Non Imm visa to do so.

You need to try harder. ????

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Sure but I have other options. Elite would be the last of one. I can understand it makes sense for some. I have a wife and I keep this money invested for my familly. 

When I purchase (lifetime) Thai Elite Membership some 14 years ago I was not married. 

Now that I am married in a different world the Thai Elite membership would not have been my choice. 

There is definitely some confirmation bias on my part in justifying the expense, much in the same way others who do not want to justify the expense employ a little confirmation bias to suit their opinion. 

In the interest of facts: All in, how much is a Visa based on Marriage / Retirement? is there any associated yearly cost? 

If using the Thai Elite system there are two visas in circulation both involve some additional cost if you are not leaving the country:

- The SE Visa which provides 90 days extensions every 90 days for 5 years. Each 90 day extensions costs 1900 baht. 

- The PE Visa provides 1 year extension every year, for 5 years. Each 1 year extension costs 1900 baht (if I'm not mistaken). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid point - in which case I'd also need to consider the Money I would have otherwise spent: 

- On AOT taxis to the Airport and back (about 20 times per year)

- On alternative means of a Visa (I wasn't married or retired) now I'm Married, what's the cost of a Type O? 

Then there are the intangibles - how much is it worth to spend <5mins in an immigration queue 20 times a year (for the amount I travel) compared to 30 mins up to 1 hour on each arrival (that most people seem to complain about). 

How much is it worth to take the premium lane through the security check upon departure?

How much is the lounge worth to you at the airport. 

When I actually priced up the Thai Elite Membership I calculated that it would have paid for itself in 8 years, I was playing more golf then. 

After 14 years its definitely paid for itself. 

But, if considering the more expensive option: the 5 year Membership - Is it worth 274 baht per day to you to have no visa concerns whatsoever ???? especially given the heightened level of stress expressed by many ThaiVisa members regarding visa issues. 

"The S&P 500 Index originally began in 1926 as the "Composite Index" comprised of only 90 stocks. According to historical records, the average annual return since its inception in 1926 through 2018 is approximately 10%. The average annual return since adopting 500 stocks into the index in 1957 through 2018 is roughly 8% (7.96%)."

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

Note that I get much better return because I am young and take bigger risk but eventually I plan on getting safer investment with lower return. 

Screenshot_20191121_181821.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:
40 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

But you can take that tax break in several other countries that would love to have you. 

Which one? Vietnam, Cambo, Laos and co all have worldwide taxation.

Philliphines is the alternative, but they don't have a cheaper visa for me either. Singapore neither. Malysia is super expensive for under 50 year olds.

Panama and co are just baah.

Thailand is my favorite in this part of the world.

40 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Yeah i am not married, i am far away from beeing 50, there's simply no alterantive except igluu/edvisa/working, none of that is cheaper.

Same here...  When I was younger and purchased the Elite Visa I had no interests in moving to countries which were less developed than Thailand, so Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam were definitely no no's... I lived in Singapore for a year and didn't like it. South America is a no no for me too. 

After living in Thailand for 8 years or so I had many Thai and Western friends here, so Thailand was the place I wished to stay.  

The Thai Elite Visa at the time was the only sensible option for a long term stay - Yes, it was expensive, but after careful consideration it still made perfect sense. 

For anyone, single and younger than 50 who wants to stay in Thailand (not working here) the Elite Visa makes perfect sense. 

For me, I work on rotation (with Work Visas in the UAE) and can easily prove I work else where.

I wonder when the time will come that Immigration Officials start cracking down on Thai Elite Visa holders they suspect of working in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...  When I was younger and purchased the Elite Visa I had no interests in moving to countries which were less developed than Thailand, so Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam were definitely no no's... I lived in Singapore for a year and didn't like it. South America is a no no for me too. 

After living in Thailand for 8 years or so I had many Thai and Western friends here, so Thailand was the place I wished to stay.  

The Thai Elite Visa at the time was the only sensible option for a long term stay - Yes, it was expensive, but after careful consideration it still made perfect sense. 

For anyone, single and younger than 50 who wants to stay in Thailand (not working here) the Elite Visa makes perfect sense. 

For me, I work on rotation (with Work Visas in the UAE) and can easily prove I work else where.

I wonder when the time will come that Immigration Officials start cracking down on Thai Elite Visa holders they suspect of working in Thailand. 

I even got a dubai temp residency, but that's also not an option for me, most of the year it's simply unliveable there in the desert, i am happy everytimei fly back to thailand to enjoy the cold weather.

So Thailand it is for the forseeable future.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I even got a dubai temp residency, but that's also not an option for me, most of the year it's simply unliveable there in the desert, i am happy everytimei fly back to thailand to enjoy the cold weather.

So Thailand it is for the forseeable future.

I'll be happy when I'm back in Dubai in a few weeks to enjoy the cooler weather there !!! (well for 4 months of the year). 

But Dubai is not a place I am willing to live. The moment my Work Visa expires there is the moment my Residency expires there - theres no security in that whatsoever. 

I no longer need the Elite Visa as I am married (and can secure a Non-Imm O visa based on Marriage), but, I also don't wish to have to jump through the hoops - the Elite Visa simply offers so much convenience, especially when traveling through the airport so often. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

I don't think that they'd cancel it outright, but that they might change the rules down the line in a way that affects existing visa holders is a legitimate concern. As with pretty much everything in Thailand, you pay your money and you take your chances - there will be no recourse if anything goes wrong.

I believe the rules of the visa state that all extra benefits (taxi service, discounts at some places, etc…) could be removed at any time, but the basic visa shouldn't change for the duration.

23 hours ago, toolpush said:

That is why with an Elite Visa, you cannot get a 5 year driving license

I have a 5 year driving license which I obtained about 4 years ago while I had the TE visa.

I still have it but maybe they changed the rules, I guess I'll find out next when it's time to renew.

I didn't ask for the 5 year license, I expected a 1 year license at the time but they issued the 5 year one.

Back then I got the impression that they make it up as they go along, same as the different immigration offices around the country with their differing 'rules.'

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Thainesss said:

If its affordable then its affordable, depends on ones disposable income and visa situation, but it certainly isn't cheap and you gotta really want to be in thailand pretty badly for that price point to be acceptable. I can think of about 10 things right off the top of my head that would provide a greater return on $20k than this visa. 

I would say it like this: 

If a person can not afford to pay around THB 8.000 per month for a visa, then he or she will have a lot of struggles living comfortably here IMHO. Especially if the person has family and kids here.