Thai elite visa

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Amphoes do not issue tax ID numbers. They are issued at the revenue department office for where you are living.

Locations are here: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/38156.0.html

Sorry, and agreed.. Only my revenue office is in the same compound as the amphoe and my fingers typed faster than my proof reading. 

Some folks seem to think getting a tax number is difficult, I walked in and asked for one, said I might have rental income to declare, and 15 mins later have my TTN. 

6 hours ago, HampiK said:

How you do it to spend more than 180 days with a Tourists visa?
Now they are looking much better if you are a tourists or try to life here with a tourist Visa!

So if you are under 50, not married and no other Non-O are for you, then yes the Elite is the only way to stay >180 days in Thailand.

--> Therefore somehow the writting what he used is correct

B visa, APEC cards, Investor visa, Volunteer non imm... Thats without even going down the line to cover EDs, Tourist, Visa exempt entry, or the over 50s, or the married, or the etc etc etc.. 

Anyone who thinks its the 'only way' clearly is a bit naive.. 

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

B visa, APEC cards, Investor visa, Volunteer non imm... Thats without even going down the line to cover EDs, Tourist, Visa exempt entry, or the over 50s, or the married, or the etc etc etc.. 

You are just annoying and nitpicking at this point.

None of these visas make any sense for for people that just want to live here securily while not beeing married or working and under 50.

• Like 1

If you are well below the retirement age of 50 and you are absolutely sure you want to spend long time in Thailand then it may be a good idea if you can't find any other alternative as you just give away a lot of money.

A friend of mine did so and got a 20 year visa and paid 2 million bhat and just after 2 years he is back to his country and the card is just lying waste.

57 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

If you are well below the retirement age of 50 and you are absolutely sure you want to spend long time in Thailand then it may be a good idea if you can't find any other alternative as you just give away a lot of money.

A friend of mine did so and got a 20 year visa and paid 2 million bhat and just after 2 years he is back to his country and the card is just lying waste.

Why did he not buy the 1 mio one and why isn't he selling the 2mio one?

18 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Most of what your wrote is not secure or Involve something a tourists not want (Work, Invest).
B Visa, mean you have to work!

APEC cards only available for some nationality!

Investor VISA you have to bring 10 Million funds into Thailand. Most not even willing to put the required 800/400K for NON-O

Volunteer, I am not sure about this Visa, but it seems have to do with work again

The NON O (Marry, over50) yes, if you can qualify for one of them, else again not possible!

Then your other Visa examples are not secure anymore, as more and more "longstay Tourists" becoming troubles to enter THailand.

Even the so easy EDs, become more and more problematic. Even for the folks who really go study. At my school at least 2 person at the moment are trying to find a way back to Thailand, as their EDs are not accepted (or not became a new ED). 

So I think "only way" is not that far away for some people. I would agree, that the Investor VISA route I would choose before the Elite VISA, but this is only me! Many have differents thoughts about this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Some folks seem to think getting a tax number is difficult, I walked in and asked for one, said I might have rental income to declare, and 15 mins later have my TTN. 

And some folks not only think it, but know it from personal experience. It might well depend which tax office you use. Personally I got sent back and forth between immigration and the Revenue department as if it were some practical joke, a trip of 10-12 km each way. I do hear things are easier at the one on Soi 2nd Rd Jomtiem. It's closer to immigration for one!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And some folks not only think it, but know it from personal experience. It might well depend which tax office you use. Personally I got sent back and forth between immigration and the Revenue department as if it were some practical joke, a trip of 10-12 km each way. I do hear things are easier at the one on Soi 2nd Rd Jomtiem. It's closer to immigration for one!

it took me also a second try to get mine, should have mentioned. They flat out refused the first time till i hired a lawyer to do it, no clue what he did but he's thai... 

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Metapod said:

Been about a month and still waiting to be approved for my TE visa.

To be exact, it took 21 days from I sent the application before I received the approval email. After that, it took 13 days for them to confirm my SWIFT payment. The Christmas holiday and new years was in between. Perhaps that delayed things. I was informed by them that it could take months, so it was quicker than expected.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A foreigner needs a work permit to work legally in Thailand. 

To get a Work Permit a Thai Elite Member would need to exit Thailand and re-enter on a Non-Immigrant Type B Visa and then go through the work permit process.

I'm a Thai Elite Member and when I was also doing some work in Thailand I could not work on the Thai Elite Visa, I had to exit, get the Non-Imm Type B visa, then go through the WP process (at Chamchuri Square)

Thai Elite membership in no way permits the holder of a P.E (Privlidged Entry) or S.E. (Special Entry) Visa any 'special' working privileges, a Work Permit cannot be secured while holding any visa which comes with Thai Elite Membership. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you ever decide to not be on a Type B visa, are you allowed to return to using your Thai Elite visa (assuming it hasn’t already expired at that time)?

Just got the approval letter from Thai Elite today.

Anyone done large transfers from Transferwise before into Thailand? What documents did they ask you to prepare? I'm guessing they might want some manual checks done if transferring 1mil thb.

I've been using transferwise for a while but never done a large transfer with them before.

10 hours ago, Metapod said:

Just got the approval letter from Thai Elite today.

Anyone done large transfers from Transferwise before into Thailand? What documents did they ask you to prepare? I'm guessing they might want some manual checks done if transferring 1mil thb.

I've been using transferwise for a while but never done a large transfer with them before.

I have done a half mil and no extra checks or documents. You might want to check for limits on your home base bank. 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:21 AM, jacko45k said:

I have done a half mil and no extra checks or documents. You might want to check for limits on your home base bank. 

looks like the transfer is going through with no manual checks or anything needed.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:35 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

If you could afford it without jeopardizing your finances, go for it. 

I would, if I would not qualify for a retirement extension.

In my situation up to now I don't see an advantage except saving two visits to Immigration a year (application on one day and multi entry the following).

I never had issues to open bank accounts, I never filled a TM30 and as a frequent flyer I have very few 90-day-reports over the years.

As BC flyer I use the fast lane and all what lasts is the golf-cart transfer to the IO and the limousin service. Both IMO not worth a million THB.

5 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

I'm wondering, in light of the current/future tourism struggles, if there may be a discount or special offer on obtaining the elite visa in the near future. 

Don't hold your breath, those with sufficient money are there to be milked. 

There will be extension and introduction of zero fee visas on arrival and tourist visas for people traveling from 3rd world and developing countries.... 

12 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

I'm wondering, in light of the current/future tourism struggles, if there may be a discount or special offer on obtaining the elite visa in the near future. 

I'd say if anything its more likely to get more expensive as visa rules tighten and more people move to elite visas

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Metapod said:
12 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

I'd say if anything its more likely to get more expensive as visa rules tighten and more people move to elite visas

It already has become more expensive. 

Initially 1MB for life time membership (full perks)

Then 1MB for 20 years membership (full perks)

Then 2MB for 20 years membership (full perks)

& 1MB for 20 years Membership (no perks)

or 500kb for 5 years Membership (limited perks)

I could see Thai Elite start offering 100kb per year membership, but not any cheaper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I could see Thai Elite start offering 100kb per year membership, but not any cheaper. 

I think it would need to be more expensive (120k ?), otherwise it would kill their 5-years offer. Personally, I think it would be a popular option for those who don't want to commit longer and those who just want a hassle-free sabbatical etc. But their background checks which already seem to take a long time might be a stumbling block with even more applications.

• Like 1

how long does the application process normally take to complete?
Does the visa date begin upon it being issued or can you set a date for sometime in the future (say 6 months from application date)?
Thanks everyone for the feedback/information, it's very helpful

Some quick googling.... and it looks like the visa process takes about a month and the time window begins immediately.

I'm still optimistic that the EV may become a better deal for the applicant in the somewhat near future.

It's grown more restrictive over the  years because the demand to reside in Thailand has been strong. It remains to be seen how bad a hit Thailand will take over the coming months with COVID-19 and the financial/economic slowdown certain to follow. But I defer to other members here who probably are more in the know than I.

Edited by unsubscribe

21 minutes ago, unsubscribe said:

Does the visa date begin upon it being issued or can you set a date for sometime in the future (say 6 months from application date)?

It seems to take up to a month but a lot appears to depend on where your passport is issued.

A visa will last for exactly 5 years (yesterdays date plus 5 years) or until the expiry date of your current passport. If your passport expires during the visa validity then you don't get the full 5 year visa and have to go back to get another visa once you've renewed your passport. This is my current situation, my current TE visa expires on the date my passport expires which is some time away but well inside the 5 years membership period.

Your membership period which is often slightly different to your visa will start as soon as you've made a payment and they've processed it which takes a couple of days.

They don't ask for payment inside a specific time period after approval - I just checked my approval letter but you might want to double check this with them if you're planning on getting approval months in advance just in case an 'unused' approval expires...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

It takes about a month to get approval and you have 3 months to pay.  So you could apply and have membership as late as about 4 months after the application date.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, unsubscribe said:

A month has passed and I'm still hoping for this, or a favorable weakening of the baht to the usd, or both!