Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Thailand - USGS

webfact

Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Thailand - USGS

Untitled-1.jpg

FILE photo

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck near the district of Muang Nan in northern Thailand, the United States Geological Survey said on Wednesday.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or damages from the quake, which the agency said struck at a depth of 10 km (6 miles) about 92 km (57 miles) northeast of Muang Nan.

(Reporting by Clarence Fernandez; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-21

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buildings shake in downtown Bangkok after earthquake on Laos border

Thai media had reported that buildings shook in downtown Bangkok after an earthquake in the Laos border region. 

One Thaivisa reporter in the north of the capital said that he detected movement of his 19 story apartment block. 

"It swayed at least as much as during the 2004 Asian tsunami," he said.

It happened just before 7 am.  

Such tremors are very unusual in Bangkok. 

More about this as we hear of it. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-21

Earthquake hits in far-north Thailand

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2019-11-21-at-07.43.51.jpg

An earthquake of 6.1 magnitude has rattled the centre and north of the country this morning. The epicentre of the tremors was around northern Nan province, on the Laos border.

At this stage there has been no immediate reports of casualties or damage although The Thaiger has been contacted by numerous people this morning claiming they felt the quake.

The US Geological Survey says the quake struck 10 kilometres below the surface about 92 kilometres northeast of the main Nan city area.

The 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit at 6.50am, local time today.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-21-at-07.46.59.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-11-21-at-07.43.51.jpg

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/northern-thailand/earthquake-hits-in-far-north-thailand

Strong earthquake strikes near Thai-Laos border

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A strong earthquake struck near the border of Thailand and Laos on Thursday, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or major damage.

The United States Geological Survey said the 6.1 magnitude quake hit at a depth of 10 km (6 miles) about 92 km (57 miles) northeast of Muang Nan at around 6.50 a.m. (2350 GMT) local time.

The quake was felt across northern Thailand and by people in tall buildings as far away as Bangkok, over 600 km (400 miles) to the south. Residents near the epicentre said they felt several aftershocks.

The Thai meteorological department said there had been no reports of severe damage but officials would inspect historical sites in the region, the Manager Online website said.

(Reporting by Jit Phokaew; Writing by Matthew Tostevin; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-21

6.4 quake reported in Laos, tremors felt in many parts of Thailand

By THE NATION

800_cd2198a7671355d.jpg?v=1574298352

A 6.4-magnitude earthquake hit Laos at a depth of 3 kilometres on Thursday morning (November 21). The epicenter was 20 km southeast of Khunnan sub district, Chaloem Prakiat district in Nan province.

The Earthquake Observation Division of the Thai Meteorological Department said the quake occurred at 6.50am with a 20-phase count. The division reported that the quake was felt by residents of many adjacent provinces including Loei, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai, Phrae, Kalasin, Lampang and Udon Thani.

According to the Division’s online message board, citizens residing in tall buildings reported that they distinctly felt the shaking, while some reported being dizzy and nauseated from the vibration.

Twitter users also reported that they felt the vibration in Bangkok, including Muang Thong Thani, Chaeng Wattana, and Viphavadee-Rangsit roads. 

There have been no reports of damaged buildings or casualties.

Related Story: 4.1 quake rattles Chiang Mai

Related Story: Mild quake reported in Loei province

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378577

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-21

having experienced every Southern California Los Angeles earthquake from 1955 I can tell you a 6.4 can be a good jolt. Duration and depth have a lot to do with the amount of damage as well as soil conditions and building codes. 

Over the decades the State of California retrofitted every freeway over pass with much larger round support posts that are filled with rebar. Just yesterday I was in Bangkok and thinking how high and extremely thin the overpass support posts are holding up the highway.

I wonder if the Thais have inspected the dams in the north yet? Or the hundreds of small bridges on the highways? 

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

having experienced every Southern California Los Angeles earthquake from 1955 I can tell you a 6.4 can be a good jolt. Duration and depth have a lot to do with the amount of damage as well as soil conditions and building codes. 

Over the decades the State of California retrofitted every freeway over pass with much larger round support posts that are filled with rebar. Just yesterday I was in Bangkok and thinking how high and extremely thin the overpass support posts are holding up the highway.

I wonder if the Thais have inspected the dams in the north yet? Or the hundreds of small bridges on the highways? 

I live in the Bay Area and am curious on how buildings in Thailand are made to withstand earthquakes.  I assume that is always part of the equation when building??

4 minutes ago, TooMuchTime said:

I live in the Bay Area and am curious on how buildings in Thailand are made to withstand earthquakes.  I assume that is always part of the equation when building??

well you know very tall buildings in so ca are built on rollers and are designed to sway in very large magnitude quakes. Like in Japan this is state of the art.

not sure about Thailand. 

best not to assume anything in Thailand unfortunately.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

well you know very tall buildings in so ca are built on rollers and are designed to sway in very large magnitude quakes. Like in Japan this is state of the art.

not sure about Thailand. 

best not to assume anything in Thailand unfortunately.

My wife just showed me some footage that her friends had taken of the 'swaying' in their Condos. 

High floors, hanging lights swaying quite a lot - sufficiently to frighten me as I too would have concerns over the Earthquake resistance of high-rises.

As it turns out, the buildings clearly swayed, nothing fell, so they must have some resistance. 

Inspection of the Damns and Bridges is obviously a good idea - I wonder whether that is on the minds of anyone in those positions of decision making power today. 

Earthquake in Thailand?

No, that is not possible! Thailand is too perfect, it is paradise...

Nothing can stop nature, not even religion, a dictator, high baht, too much of a good thing orThailand...

Humans tend to forget that nature rules and in control, not one person or country...

Two strong earthquakes hit Laos and Thailand Thursday morning

eQ.jpg

©Earthquake Observation Division, Thai Meteorological Department

Two earthquakes, about 3 hours apart, shook the Laos PDR this morning, damaging buildings at the Thai-owned Hong Sa power plant

The Thai embassy in Vientiane, the capital of Laos, said today (Thursday) that the first tremor, measuring 5.9 on the Richter Scale (ML), was about five kilometres underground and was reported in Xayaburi province at 4.03am. It was followed by a second quake, measuring 6.4ML, at 6.52am to the east and west of Chalerm Phrakiat district of Thailand’s northern province of Nan, which is about 19km away.

In Bangkok, the Meteorological Department said that the first earthquake was felt in Thailand’s northern provinces of Nan, Phrae, Phayao, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Lampang, as well as the north-eastern provinces of Loei, Khon Kaen and Udon Thani.  The tremor was followed by about 10 aftershocks, measuring 2.3ML to 4.3ML between 4.19am and 5.51am.

The second, stronger tremor was centred 3km underground in the Laos PDR, about 19km from Ban Nam Chang, Tambon Khun Nan, Chalerm Phrakiat district of Nan.  The vibrations were felt in several provinces, including Bangkok, said the Meteorological Department.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/two-strong-earthquakes-hit-laos-and-thailand-thursday-morning/

thaipbs.jpg

15 minutes ago, captnhoy said:

HI. When I was in my travel trailer on a hillside while my dream house in America was being built a 4.5 earthquake struck a hundred miles south of me it woke me up and I thought my trailer was going to slide into the river where I had riverfront property like many of us in America do.

“Many” represents what percentage of Americans? I would wager a larger percentage of Thais have “klongfront” property... ????????????

We are just east of Pua in northern Nan province so about 40 kilometers from the epicentre of both the just after 4:00am and 6:50am quake. Bed was swaying in the first and house creaked. In the second both the wife and I were up. Again swaying and I think at least one up and down roll type action. Wind chime set off and hanging wine glasses clinking. In both cases our two dogs did not go ape<deleted> although on the second I could see them and they stopped doing what they were doing and were looking about.

The most interesting thing for me was the loud rumble/roar that sounded like a freight train crossing a metal bridge at speed. Was considerably louder in the first and smaller quake.

Looked all round our place after both quakes and the only damage I could find was a passion fruit I heard drop off the vine located near our bedroom window during the first quake.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This one was 6.1, but there was a bigger one back in 1989 that was 6.9 in San Francisco, America. 

We had a 7.8 in my home town in New Zealand 3 years ago. For several years after the big one, we had daily quakes which were 4.5 or more. Sometimes larger. I can tell you as others have mentioned it depends on depth, the more shallow it is the more it will be felt. The deeper it is and its vicinity to the coastline the more likely it would cause a tsunami.

Thai buildings have extremely poor earth quake prevention standards. Our buildings in Wellington are similar to those in SF and Tokyo and some of these did not hold well on a 7.8. For this reason, I have never purchased Thai real estate because I do not feel building standards are equipped for the pressures we are putting on our earth.

With each 0.1 increase in the Richter scale reading, the physical feeling is magnified - it is not a steady climb in the feeling of the quake.

Archived