Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Thailand - USGS

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

I live in the Bay Area and am curious on how buildings in Thailand are made to withstand earthquakes.  I assume that is always part of the equation when building??

I don't know about high rises, but almost all of the smaller buildings and homes are built with unreinforced brick. If Bangkok was to experience a large quake, I think much of the city would be completely destroyed. 

i was asleep last time in cm when it happened,i think many the same.shock the building and woke up.went outside.it was about 10 secs in think and nothing else,i was on the top floor.nothing happened after and people talked about it later.if they was a big one  i don,t know what would happen in cm.many high rise coming down and lives lost.also i think it happens once a year round the area

I’m in Mindanao and met an American who was just about to move in to a fourth floor apartment in a five floor building. Then we experienced a 6.1 quake.

He went to the building where an engineer was doing an inspection and deemed the building safe.

The American gentleman didn’t like the looks of the cracks he saw and tried to break the lease. He was told not to worry.

The next day he returned and found his apartment was now on the second floor of a three floor building. He decided not to move in.

Felt the 6:51am in Udon, but not the first one.  Just a couple of seconds and just a bit of window rattle.  Did make me wonder whether to leave the building, but thought I'd wait until something bigger was on its way.  Nothing after that.  Didn't think the north was considered an quake zone.  Learn something every day.  No damage that I'm aware of.

46 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I don't know about high rises, but almost all of the smaller buildings and homes are built with unreinforced brick. If Bangkok was to experience a large quake, I think much of the city would be completely destroyed. 

The issue is not so much even the construction of the buildings but the fact that Bangkok rests on clay. 

A big earthquake is basically like shaking a jello mold, waves amplify like they would not on a more solid foundation. 

This is what made the Mexico city quake so nasty. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/22/world/americas/mexico-city-earthquake-lake-bed-geology.html

6 hours ago, Lodestone said:

Felt the 6:51am in Bangkok (lower Sukhumvit). I was standing eating a quick breakfast and the floor kept swaying under my feet for what seemed like almost a minute. No other noises or rumbles. 

Nice, what were you eating?

The fabulous Kingdom is not America, UK, Australia or anywhere else in the world.

Thailand has its own rules and regulations and will continue to look after its millions of citizens without OP revealing what happens in their own countries.

I think everyone should be grateful that no injuries, deaths or damage has been reported and everyone is safe and well.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bangkok felt it?

Central Isan rock-solid.

6:50h, more than an hour on my feet.

No shaking.

I felt it in Nakhon Phanom (not in America). The earth didnt move but my mattress certainly did, for several seconds.

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

I think you are right but AFAIK Bangkok is not on a fault.

CM is of more concern as are, especially, hydroelectric dams in Laos.

i read that the first 'foreshock' occurred at 11:49 pm on wednesday.  but i'm pretty sure the first one was 11:49 am on wed.  i was walking through benjasiri park (next to emporium/phrom phong BTS in bangkok) and nearly fell down.  wasn't sure what was going on.

i lived 20 yrs in los angeles and then 20 yrs in san francisco so i've felt alot of them. 

51 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Felt the 6:51am in Udon, but not the first one.  Just a couple of seconds and just a bit of window rattle.  Did make me wonder whether to leave the building, but thought I'd wait until something bigger was on its way.  Nothing after that.  Didn't think the north was considered an quake zone.  Learn something every day.  No damage that I'm aware of.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-Thailand-showing-active-faults-Hinthong-1995-A-and-location-of-the-Thoen_fig1_258490213

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I wonder if the Thais have inspected the dams in the north yet? Or the hundreds of small bridges on the highways? 

A retired Canadian who did that for a living told me most buildings here are build with the support like tooth picks, they will knack easily. 
Any serious earthquake would bring most buildings down to the floor, small bridges collapse in the north all the time too.

He said, if renting on a higher floor, at least get the corner unit near the stairways. 

Personally seen some new developments in CM, walls are super thin as well the pillars, no (sound) isolation but more scary is the strength (or lack of).
Would never buy something like this, that is for sure. A slash hammer would most likely give me entrance to the neighbours within minutes.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Nothing to shake in Isaan is there

Other than rice fields and wooden shacks

Our crystal chandelier...up here in beautiful Issan....clanked for about two minutes at 6.52am...missus nearly had a heart attack 

I did not notice anything but the wife saw the screen door shake. She tried to tell me via Google translate but the translation was not even an English word.

No real damage but we had the interior of the house painted about a year ago so no signs of cracks but there are now cracks between the walls and ceilings.

Got the Xayaburi dam, the Hongsa lignite power station, and the Chinese-built high speed rail line, much of it half-built on concrete viaducts all within about 80 kms of the epicentre. Any reports of structural damage coming out of Laos yet? The railway especially, would be vulnerable to this quake, I'd imagine. Tunnels being bored and so not yet secured for quakes - and doubtful if they've factored in quake risk in any case.

1 minute ago, SuwadeeS said:

Luckily it wasn't in Bangkok. Imagine all the bridges over the mainroads come down

to the street. The infra structure would be down for how many month?

It’s not made from paper-mache..

7 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

I live in the Bay Area and am curious on how buildings in Thailand are made to withstand earthquakes.  I assume that is always part of the equation when building??

I found a report about an earthquake in Chiang Mai in 2014. It says there was a ministerial regulation issued in 2007 which said that any building over 15m tall must be built to resist earthquakes of up to 7 on the Richter scale. 

Obviously this regulation does not apply to buildings constructed before 2007 and as for enforcement of the regulation well, your guess is as good as mine.

3 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

With each 0.1 increase in the Richter scale reading, the physical feeling is magnified - it is not a steady climb in the feeling of the quake.

That's a little vague - to be accurate, since the Richter scale is logarithmic, each single digit increase on the scale represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude.

However even that tends to understate the effect in everyday language. In terms of energy, each single digit increase on the scale corresponds to an increase of about 31.6 times in the amount of energy released.

What this means in turn, is that each increase of 0.2 on the scale leads to roughly a doubling of the energy released.

Archived