Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Thailand - USGS

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This one was 6.1, but there was a bigger one back in 1989 that was 6.9 in San Francisco, America. 

If you're going to compare major earthquakes that have occurred around the world you should start at about magnitude 7.8 . There was one that strong with epicenter under the city of Kobe , Japan in 1995 . Two more under the ocean off Malaysia and Japan's east coast , both over 8 . The amount of shaking increases dramatically above 7 . 

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

having experienced every Southern California Los Angeles earthquake from 1955 I can tell you a 6.4 can be a good jolt. Duration and depth have a lot to do with the amount of damage as well as soil conditions and building codes. 

Over the decades the State of California retrofitted every freeway over pass with much larger round support posts that are filled with rebar. Just yesterday I was in Bangkok and thinking how high and extremely thin the overpass support posts are holding up the highway.

I wonder if the Thais have inspected the dams in the north yet? Or the hundreds of small bridges on the highways? 

Yup, born and raised in SoCal myself.  This one was enough to do that barely wake up, see if it is going to get worse, and then right back to sleep when it does not, most of us SoCal people automatically do.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I found a report about an earthquake in Chiang Mai in 2014. It says there was a ministerial regulation issued in 2007 which said that any building over 15m tall must be built to resist earthquakes of up to 7 on the Richter scale. 

Obviously this regulation does not apply to buildings constructed before 2007 and as for enforcement of the regulation well, your guess is as good as mine.

Quake felt in 2014, centered in Myanmar. Strong enough and long enough to send us out of my 4th floor condo. Today, I felt in Sansai Noi, c. Mai. Did not have long duration and I was on ground floor so, a shaking, but not too strong. Today’s was the 3rd for me. Strongest was felt in Western Kentucky in late 1960s, If I remember correctly.

11 hours ago, cmsally said:

Felt it in CM. Building shook and leaves knocked together (very different from a breeze). It was strong enough for me to exit building as I thought it might be a precursor of something stronger.

where in cm was this here in chiang moi road we felt nothing

17 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

where in cm was this here in chiang moi road we felt nothing

Not far from you near Tapae. But it would depend exactly where you were ie upstairs/ on ground etc. and how aware you are. Most people around us felt nothing. I was in my office with the door open and felt the building move. Two trees outside the door, there was a clicking of leaves that you don't get with the wind.

Not as strong as the one on the Burmese border a few years ago.

3 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I felt it in Nakhon Phanom (not in America). The earth didnt move but my mattress certainly did, for several seconds.

I was surprised to read that it was felt in Khon Kaen city.

Granddaughter reported.

The Rachaphruek hospital was evacuated!

Early thursday morning (not sure of the time ) i felt the apartment sway and i thought i must

be dreamimg  and went back to sleep ,It was a strange sensation that lasted not more than

thirty seconds .Another new experience living in Thailand . I am in Udon Thani ,

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Was up as usual at 0600hrs. Woke my daughter for school at 0620 hrs. Neither of us felt any earthquake and we are in Nong Khai.

How people felt it in Bangkok is beyond me.

I guess it can vary based on what you were doing at the actual time? Here in Udon, the first one never woke anyone up but I was sitting in my home office recliner when the second one hit and the blinds were swaying and the shaking went on for a good 10-12 seconds. Not so much any creaking in the house than a sort of sighing, like trapped air moving. My oldest boy shot out of the shower with the W T F look and MiL who had been watching the telly in the lounge was now watching the blinds swaying and wondering why they were moving but the fans were off. Meanwhile, cousin getting dressed in his bedroom ten feet away never noticed or felt a thing.

A 4-point-something in Laos here a few years back in the early evening saw same swaying blinds and fan switch cords in the home office but when I asked any of the other family members who were sitting on the floor having dinner (as they do) if they felt anything, it was a case of, "Did we feel what?"

When I was working in Bangkok, I was on the 39th floor of Exchange Tower when a 5-point-something hit (I think) in Myanmar. Plenty of movement there and the muffled screams from some staff down the hall before an evacuation to the ground floor. Some staff begged off to go home and check on things and a lot of others from other companies were visibly very upset.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Inspection of the Damns and Bridges is obviously a good idea - I wonder whether that is on the minds of anyone in those positions of decision making power today. 

Probably not on their minds because there's no money in it for them.

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The reality is this was caused by a stampede of expats rushing to submit TM 30s...

Are you sure about that? I thought it might be a reaction to the decision against Thanathorn!

Perhaps Mother Nature did not approve.

20 hours ago, Lodestone said:

Felt the 6:51am in Bangkok (lower Sukhumvit). I was standing eating a quick breakfast and the floor kept swaying under my feet for what seemed like almost a minute. No other noises or rumbles. 

Bit disappointed I missed it - I was walking in the same area at that time and it was early morning busy, but I didn't feel anything, or notice any commotion from the people around. 

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

having experienced every Southern California Los Angeles earthquake from 1955 I can tell you a 6.4 can be a good jolt. Duration and depth have a lot to do with the amount of damage as well as soil conditions and building codes. 

Over the decades the State of California retrofitted every freeway over pass with much larger round support posts that are filled with rebar. Just yesterday I was in Bangkok and thinking how high and extremely thin the overpass support posts are holding up the highway.

I wonder if the Thais have inspected the dams in the north yet? Or the hundreds of small bridges on the highways? 

I fully agree with your post as I also live in Southern California (San Bernardino)...

I'm retired now and spend 40-60% of my time in Thailand.....

When at home in the USA i Have woke up or otherwise felt the shaking going on and don't do anything other than 'wait for a moment' till the 'shaking stops'...... then continue what I was doing (sleeping sometimes).... I LIVE IN A SINGLE STORY 'WOOD FRAME' HOME...... I have never (or rarely) heard of serious damage to SINGLE OR TWO LEVEL HOMES...... 

As you pointed out almost all tall buildings in the State of California are built on rollers specifically to 'Earthquake standard code'.....So in California I am not worried at all......

HOWEVER....... In Thailand I would be quite scared to be in a 2 story or taller building during an earthquake......

I can recall an occassion some 10 or 15 years ago where a 'highrise building' (IN DOWNTOWN KORAT) collapsed on the first floor (Killing a large number of people)..... Later it was learned that the building was built as a 3 level and then 'Illegally' (We all know Thailand ) added 3-4 more levels on top...... Making it 6-7 floors..... AND NOT AN EARTHQUAKE - IN THIS CASE....

Now that Thailand is starting to experience 'earthquakes'...... I will prefer not to stay in TALL buildings that have NOT been designed to 'Ridigly Enforced Specifications' (Unlike Thailand, who can't even build a hiway the doesn't require major repairs in the first 3 months)....

Earthquakes aren't so common YET, In Thailand....... And of course... WE ALL HAVE TO DIE SOMETIME..... but as I try to enjoy a longer life.... I will stay away from the TALL BUILDINGS in Thailand..... Just to keep on the safe side..........

10 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I fully agree with your post as I also live in Southern California (San Bernardino)...

were you in the 1992 mag 7.3 Landers quake?

I was thrown out of bed 60 miles away in LA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Landers_earthquake

followed by the 1994 incredibly destructive Northridge quake. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_earthquake

28 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Now that Thailand is starting to experience 'earthquakes'...... I will prefer not to stay in TALL buildings that have NOT been designed to 'Ridigly Enforced Specifications' (Unlike Thailand, who can't even build a hiway the doesn't require major repairs in the first 3 months)....

Earthquakes aren't so common YET

Thailand isn't "starting to experience earthquakes," it has always experienced earthquakes. I can't remember a single year in the several decades that I have been coming to Thailand, that there hasn't been at least one (usually several). For many of them, like this one, the epicentres are not in Thailand itself but in either Laos or Burma.

According to the data on earthquaketrack.com, Thailand has felt the effects of 7 earthquakes in the last 365 days, which historically speaking, is nothing exceptional.

Archived