Jump to content
BANGKOK
JimmyJ

LG G4 - Can use Thai SIM for calling, not data.

Recommended Posts

Very disappointed.

 

I have 2 LG G4's, both positively unlocked.

 

Went to Kad Suen Kew (sp?) mall yesterday.

 

DTAC inserted SIM, changed API, had me test by calling her phone which rang.

 

However could not get phones (tried both) to receive data.

 

Tried AIS (beside the DTAC booth), same thing.

 

Ran into a friend who had recently purchased a phone from a booth on the 2nd floor. Boothling tried her SIM in the phone (was AIS or DTAC - I never tried TRUE ) tried to find cause, no success.

 

I know there are some extremely knowledgeable phone experts on this sub.

Is it that my phones - which both accept GSM ( a USA GSM sim currently working successfully in one phone) and CDMA (which they originally used) SIMS, just don't have the correct bandwidths/frequencies?

 

Any possible solutions before I have to start a "Phone suggestions 

please" thread?

 

Thanks.

 

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 7:46 AM, jackdd said:

Make sure that you have the correct APN settings, sometimes the auto configuration fails

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/lg/g4/android-5-1/guides/22/Set-up-Internet-LG-G4

Settings for DTAC: https://dtac.co.th/network/trinetsetting.html

Thank you - will give that a try for a last gasp effort.

 

One question - when I change APN, if it is not successful and I want to continue using the SIM that is now in the phone, do I have to find out what that APN setting is and manually insert that APN so the phone is as it was before, orare former APN's saved and I can easily switch back?

 

Also please see my post below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone compare the bandwidths/frequencies of the LG G4 with that of the 3 main Thai carriers or at least of DTAC and let me know if should be possible for the LG G4 to receive Data.

 

I've looked at the data but don't have enough knowledge to interpret it.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Can someone compare the bandwidths/frequencies of the LG G4 with that of the 3 main Thai carriers or at least of DTAC and let me know if should be possible for the LG G4 to receive Data.

 

I've looked at the data but don't have enough knowledge to interpret it.

 

Thank you.

LG G4, 3GB RAM/32GB ROM, there are two versions of this model, H815 and H818. (LG has a lot of model versions for their phones, usually many more than a pair.)

 

In both cases the phone is definitely compatible with the 3G and 4G frequency bands used by DTAC.

 

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-lg-g4-dual-sim

 

Now, there are several more variations of the LG G4; S Beat, Stylus, c. If yours is one of those, you can check the compatibilty at the link above.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rwilem said:

LG G4, 3GB RAM/32GB ROM, there are two versions of this model, H815 and H818. (LG has a lot of model versions for their phones, usually many more than a pair.)

 

In both cases the phone is definitely compatible with the 3G and 4G frequency bands used by DTAC.

 

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-lg-g4-dual-sim

 

Now, there are several more variations of the LG G4; S Beat, Stylus, c. If yours is one of those, you can check the compatibilty at the link above.

Thank you.

 

Mine is LGLS991, made for the US or at least purchased and formerly used there.

 

Not an S Beat nor a Stylus.

 

I haven't yet attempted jackdd's suggestion of checking the APN settings - never purchased the SIMs since they never worked so have to go back to the store/booth.

 

Do you have any idea of what the issue could be if the APN settings are correct?

 

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thank you.

 

Mine is LGLS991, made for the US or at least purchased and formerly used there.

 

Not an S Beat nor a Stylus.

 

I haven't yet attempted jackdd's suggestion of checking the APN settings - never purchased the SIMs since they never worked so have to go back to the store/booth.

 

Do you have any idea of what the issue could be if the APN settings are correct?

 

Ok, a check of that version on the LG G4 shows it is tied to the Sprint carrier in the U.S.

 

This is not my area of expertise, but apparently CDMA phones, as what are used on Sprint and Verizon, have some issues trying to use them on the 'GSM-type' networks here. And a further check shows here what you've got, for networks, frequencies and data transmission.

 

https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS991-Genuine-Leather-Black-g4

 

My guess is you are a bit 'light' on some of the bands that are used here. But as suggested above, the APN settings might be able to get you up and running? 

 

There is a post here that goes into detail about the CDMA/GSM divide, hope it helps.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are accurate - I purchased the phone thru Sprint and they are my US carrier. 

 

The LG G4 has 4 settings for mobile networks - 

Automatic; LTE/CDMA; CDMA; GSM/UMTS.

 

So it should be able to deal with the GSM  mobile data, but perhaps as you noted the dual capability is limited.

 

Interesting thread you linked to - glanced at it earlier but will read it thoroughly shortly.

 

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

You are accurate - I purchased the phone thru Sprint and they are my US carrier. 

 

The LG G4 has 4 settings for mobile networks - 

Automatic; LTE/CDMA; CDMA; GSM/UMTS.

 

So it should be able to deal with the GSM  mobile data, but perhaps as you noted the dual capability is limited.

 

Interesting thread you linked to - glanced at it earlier but will read it thoroughly shortly.

 

 

 

https://willmyphonework.net/

says that for the 3 major Thai carriers my phone will work for 2G and 3G but not 4G.

 

Sites which list DTAC APN settings are titled "4G DTAC APN settings" or similar wording.

 

Could the problem be that they are 4G settings which my phones don't support?

Or if 4G doesn't work will it automatically switch to 3G?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

 

 

https://willmyphonework.net/

says that for the 3 major Thai carriers my phone will work for 2G and 3G but not 4G.

 

Sites which list DTAC APN settings are titled "4G DTAC APN settings" or similar wording.

 

Could the problem be that they are 4G settings which my phones don't support?

Or if 4G doesn't work will it automatically switch to 3G?

Yes, it looks like the phone is missing the 4G, LTE bands that are used by the Thai carriers but it does seem to have the bands for 3G. So I think at least you should be able to use the phone for 3G data. 

 

That was a booth you went to, right? Maybe best to take the phone in to a full-fledged service office of your carrier of choice (DTAC?) and have someone there go over things. That should clarify it, and has worked in the past for me to resolve a similar issue.

 

I can understand wanting to use your preferred phone here, get it up and running. But it gets to be dicey and you have to keep in mind compatibility issues, which can get complicated.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a booth at Kad Suan Kew mall.

 

Good idea about finding a shop of theirs, will try that - and then give up and buy a dual sim phone here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it a shot, you'll get the final word. I think it will be OK for 3G. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this thread and didn't read the entire thread while looking for your other, so I apologize if someone else has answered or you've solved the problem.

 

Take a look at the following site - it's fairly authoritative:

 

https://willmyphonework.net/

 

I put in LG G4 and saw quite a few models, many of which are CDMA (used mostly in the U.S. and not really travel-friendly)

 

Hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could this be why I can't receive Data?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...