webfact

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sanemax said:

26 days ?

How did they find out ?

Interesting question..

I had trouble with the Kasikorn bank the other day and they required passport details. 

My new passport details. 

Only came into Thailand on it 3 weeks ago. 

Data matching?

Immigration biometric?

Maybe big brother is starting to get its act together?

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Interesting question..

I had trouble with the Kasikorn bank the other day and they required passport details. 

My new passport details. 

Only came into Thailand on it 3 weeks ago. 

Data matching?

Immigration biometric?

Maybe big brother is starting to get its act together?

It's much simpler than that. Download the information you want from the immigration database, drop it onto a spreadsheet and re-arrange to see who's date of exit doesn't appear before their visa expiry date.

It's called an exception report and it takes a few minutes.

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

It the English translation from Thai news. Dramatic 

Yinn can do another one for lovely feeling. 

A foreign gentlemen had overstay his visa by 26 days. So three kind immigration officer went to visit him. 

They knock the door, and wait for him to open. His thai boyfriend open.

They asked the English gentleman politely “What happen sir”

The England gentleman reply “oh, sorry, I was to lazy to get the visa”

Officer  “ oh, ok, the rules say you will have to go now” 

Gentleman “Yes, I know, I very sorry about that.”

Officer “ok, when you come next time, not forget to do correct visa next time” 

Not dramatic.

So is it the original Thai story that was dramatic, or the translation by Thai Visa into English?

As other posters have said, every country catches over-stayers, but most don't deem it to be news worthy in any way, shape or form.

In Australia it happens 10 times a week, but it is just immigration doing their job. I would have thought there was no need to do any media or a big song and dance for routine immigration work. Maybe the immigration police want to give themselves a pat on the back?

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's sad to see what Thailand have become with theses stories of 'raids, busts and swooping' on people whose crimes are being overstayers, we're not talking about aprehanding arch criminals or knows terrorists operatives here, and it's disheartening to see that this good country with nice people has become and behave like a police state...

I don't know man.

My Visa is ok. Every time when it ends, I did a border run or an extension, and then I could stay again legally.

Now I have a proper visa for a while.

I mean, if I can do it, then other people can also do that, no?

Unless you dont have money, or other reasons why you cannot make a new visa, like no job prospects or no intention to get a visa, and then the truth be told: you have to go.

26 days is a MONTH, plenty of time to clean, pack your bags, or make a new visa.

For the people who have a visa and do not overstay, Thailand is still a nice country....

2 hours ago, madmen said:

wow tipped over the edge because an overstayer is caught lol

Nargh, we’ve been planning it for about a year already. It’s just the fact anti foreigner rhetoric is in the news almost every day for the past 5 years and that detention and imprisonments and deportation could happen to anyone for any number of minor infractions so it seems. You are welcome to it.

Maybe it’s just time for a change for us. Either way whatever you say won’t affect our decision as it was made a long time ago.

It is unbelievable for all the comments I have read. Of course you are criminal if you overstep your visa conditions just as you are a criminal in any other country. If you you live here then you accept the laws as you do in any country. If you don't like it here, <deleted> off.

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why is it disgraceful? You do not understand that it´s the man from the UK that engage in disgraceful behaviour when not taking care of his life and staying in Thailand without a permission to stay?

Targeted like a criminal? He put the target on himself, right? The immigration police was only oding their work.

Now everybody else can take notice of this and what happens. Just for beeing ignorant and overstay, he will for only 26 days get a ban for 5 years.

He had choices. He could have scraped togheter money if that was the problem, before his visa expired, and payed a possible overstay at the airport and flewn home without any ban. He could have reported himself and only got 1 year ban if exceeding the 90 days limit before clearing up a possibility to go home. 

Instead he chosed to take a chance, and now have to face the consequences of his stupidity.

If you can,t do the time,don,t do the crime,all joking aside,if i,d chosen to live in the los I would be planning an escape route just now.

You can get a one year visa in Vietnam for 250$ with multiple entry, no requirement to leave at any particular time, no bank statements, no reporting your location, no reporting to immigration at all, no police harassment. And a beer costs about 17 cents. 

11 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A contingent of immigration?? What the <deleted>!!

Treated like a criminal over 26 days.

Disgraceful stuff

And I am sure the feel the  same way about the man from Nigeria that is in your home country. ????????

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Welcome to Thailand, now get out!

It's fake news. There's no vinyl display board showing how the arrest was carried out and what was in the offender's pockets. Nor a police photo op consisting of at least ten cops. They can't kid me. It's fake news!????

Sad to see how this country gets misgoverned and economically ruined by a bunch of incapable people who love to present themselves in media.

What this country needs is no more stunts for the media but a concept and a real will to give the people a future. Instead, corrupt from heat to toe, they single out a defenceless small group of foreigners, radicalize their own people against them and perform police and immigration police shows for the media.

Arrest someone in his apartment who has overstayed a few days? Won't probably happen even in Europe.
I do believe laws are there to govern life of everyone. To arrest foreigners because minor offences is nothing than a show for the media. Clean up your corrupt country and apply law evenly, for and against everyone equally including corrupt members of government and police. Prosecute Thais for serious crime first, gain some credibility and go after your county's guests only after you succeeded to clean up all bigger mess. What they do is disgraceful, dishonest and is nothing more than only stunts to further alienate people still wanting to visit this country. It's time that this government gets internationally condemned for what they are and what they do and what they still not do although multiple times promised.

The biggest damage to Thailand's reputation is not the overstating foreigner but the dictatorship of the military government.

Archived