Thai father in loss of face over wedding shoots son-in-law in front of pregnant daughter

webfact

Thai father in loss of face over wedding shoots son-in-law in front of pregnant daughter

4pm.jpg

Revenge killing of son-in-law

A 40 year old Thai father is being sought by police in Nakhon Sri Thammarat after he shot his common law son-in-law as he rested in a hammock. 

The victim was shot in front of his pregnant wife, the daughter of the shooter.

The incident was in revenge for a loss of face caused by the son-in-law who refused to go through with a planned wedding three years ago. 

The couple then compounded the father's anger by eloping. 

Thung Yai police were called to the village of Ban Klong Phiang where they found 34 year old Sarawut dead in a hammock in front of a TV. He had been shot in the chest and also had a wound to the head. 

Two women at the scene had fainted - they were Noonai, 40, and Monthip, 25, the wife of the victim. 

Rescue services took them to Thung Yai hospital. Later when she had recovered Monthip told police what had led up to the shooting and what happened at the house. She said her father, Narong, 42, was the shooter.

Police said that three years ago Monthip and Sarawut planned to get married. He father had sent out lots of invitations and a big feast was planned to celebrate the nuptials. 

But the prospective son-in-law didn't show up on the day of the wedding and some time after the couple eloped. They had had a child - now six months old - and Monthip was pregnant with another. 

They had gone to live in Sarawut's home district but after an argument Monthip had gone home to her parents. Her husband then went there to attempt a reconciliation - but her father had not forgotten the loss of face from three years prior. 

While Sarawut was in a hammock talking to his wife he went and lifted up his feet causing him to lose balance and his feet hit his daughter. 

Narong had a gun and pistol whipped his son-in-law around the head before firing at his chest. He fled the house.

Monthip ran out of the house to seek help from neighbors but none would intervene saying that they should wait for rescue services to arrive. 

They were too late to save Sarawut. 

Police have contacted the relatives of Narong to get him to give up but he remains on the run. They have applied for a warrant for his arrest. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-21

I often wonder how different this country would be if they could do away with the stupidity known as "face."

Tragic how so many relatives end up shooting each other or chopping each other up over relatively minor perceived issues, which most westerners would just brush off and move along.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I often wonder how different this country would be if they could do away with the stupidity known as "face."

Tragic how so many relatives end up shooting each other or chopping each other up over relatively minor perceived issues, which most westerners would just brush off and move along.

Can´t fix stupid, so the face will stay. ????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A 40 year old Thai father is being sought by police in Nakhon Sri Thammarat after he shot his common law son-in-law as he rested in a hammock.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

and Monthip, 25, the wife of the victim. 

so he must have been about 14 when he got the mother pregnant then ?

Seems silliness and sex runs strong in this family

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It might simply be replaced with the western equivalent, which in this case could be called "shame".

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

so he must have been about 14 when he got the mother pregnant then ?

Seems silliness and sex runs strong in this family

They revised his age further down the story to 42 years of age, not that it makes much difference to the victim!

The answer is simple: Education. There is I feel another contributing factor and that is for the poor nothing to lose and for the rich a feeling of above the law "money". In the village I lived in out of 8 or so murders only two kids went to prison (how long I don't know) the rest paid death money to the family and the police. 

He should have looked at it from a different perspective,

all the money he would have saved not having the wedding,

but he was still suffering loss of face 3 years later,just get over it.

Now he's on the run.

regards Worgeordie 

51 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

He should have looked at it from a different perspective,

all the money he would have saved not having the wedding,

but he was still suffering loss of face 3 years later,just get over it.

Now he's on the run.

regards Worgeordie 

Didn't the man pay for his daughters wedding and the groom didn't show up for it, did a no-show on her wedding day. Not much money was saved and a lot of face was lost. 

Not only loss of face but this father can't seem to understand because he is Thai himself that the kid was actually doing him a favor, why spend all that money if they open their eyes and accept the truth about their culture whether they got married or not and went through the original ceremony the kid would still be a bum the ceremony isn't going to change who he is!  If the father didn't shoot him the way things were going he would have taken off 6 months tops.

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Didn't the man pay for his daughters wedding and the groom didn't show up for it, did a no-show on her wedding day. Not much money was saved and a lot of face was lost. 

The wedding was cancelled,weddings like funerals can be expensive,

but to hold a grudge for 3 years !,

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The wedding was cancelled,weddings like funerals can be expensive,

but to hold a grudge for 3 years !,

regards worgeordie

Seems to me the husband's tootsie's hitting the wife's kisser was the deal breaker for Dad. God I love that foot thing 555

This is a problem all over the world. Males in Thailand are extremely susceptible to “loss of face” because here it is equivalent to castration. Thailand is still a very male dominated society.  “Loss of face” to a lot of Thai males is just unacceptable to them, hence story after story....   the only way to fix this is through proper punishment. When this a-hole is finally caught he needs to be publicly executed on tv in the middle of the most popular Lakorn.  He murdered someone with ay least two witnesses. His right to live is now forfeit. This will not only rid society of individuals who feel they are above the law but will also serve as a deterrent. No wai’s or my father has millions of baht in the bank none of that.  Execute them and do it quickly. 

Is this a US forum?  I was a bit confused there, man shoots another man for a trivial reason, For a moment, I thought that he must have been a US Law Officer.  It only needed the dead one to be a black dude to complete the picture. 

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

same could be said of the US, discontented individuals taking their anger and frustrations out by, often randomly, slaughtering their relatives, fellow employees and fellow students...

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

In the west it is called pride or you maddoged me. People are pretty much the same worldwide. Some people need very little to send them over the top others need more

On 11/21/2019 at 2:09 AM, webfact said:

Police have contacted the relatives of Narong to get him to give up but he remains on the run. They have applied for a warrant for his arrest.

Usually staying at a relatives place , hiding under the bed , with his motorbike parked across the road, parked across the road and not outside to cleverly avoid being located

On 11/21/2019 at 5:24 AM, GoodieAfterDark said:

Why wait that long? 

I suspect it was a/ useless son-in-law's feet coming into contact with precious daughter and b/ dad seeing useless s-i-law kipping in his favourite hammock that tipped him over the edge. It would <deleted> me off too, though perhaps I wouldn't resort to such extreme measures. Bit like Goldilocks finding some bear <deleted> in her bed.....????

24 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

In Thailand it's called losing face.  In prison it's called disrespecting someone.  Same same (same mentality and same outcome).

Many of us do not stay in prisons and we dont abide by the rules that prisoners abide too

Archived