U.S. Navy moves to expel court-martialed SEAL commando after Trump restored his rank

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I know the Geneva convention only applies to war between two signatory governments.

As ISIS isn't a government, and war hasn't been declared by diplomats on both sides.

I don't see how the Geneva convention applies.

Lol, no. Google the Geneva convection. It was constructed after WWII, in peace time. Once war begins again, you will see everything that was “banned”. Even the USA still uses depleted uranium ammunition today. 

3 hours ago, lust said:

Well, I’m not American. So I didn’t lose. But I’m also not a soyboy who thinks we should all sit around singing kumbaya suckin each other off. All is fair in love and war.

"All is fair in love and war" is a cute saying - but it's a horrible argument. Especially in this case. So if this soldier could (allegedly) stab a prisoner in the neck and then pose for a photo op with the corpse that would also be "fair" if he did it to and with his girlfriend...?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see posing with a corpse being any sort of crime.

It certainly doesn't move my moral compass.

And I don't recall any commandment "Thou shall not pose with the dead"

Geneva Convention IV:

Article 16, second paragraph, of the 1949 Geneva Convention IV provides: “As far as military considerations allow, each Party to the conflict shall facilitate the steps taken … to protect [the killed] against … ill-treatment.” 

United States of America:

The US Naval Handbook (1995) provides that “mutilation and other mistreatment of the dead” are representative war crimes. 

6 hours ago, alanrchase said:
7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

He's due to retire, no need to chuck him out.

If they had not wanted to cause trouble they could have just advanced his retirement date a couple of months.

He will still be able to retire at the same rank. What's the problem?

DJT's stiff middle finger to the military's own judiciary maybe?

2 hours ago, lust said:

Lol, no. Google the Geneva convection. It was constructed after WWII, in peace time. Once war begins again, you will see everything that was “banned”. Even the USA still uses depleted uranium ammunition today. 

Lol... no. Google the Geneva convention.... You crack me up.

the 1949 Geneva convention is the third revision of the 1860 era original Geneva convention. 

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So is Trump 'commander in chief' or not?

Seems to me like Trump needs to sack a few people who disobeyed their oath to obey the C-in-C.

A clear cut case of insubordination, if not outright mutiny.

He’s not fit to command anyone or anything-he’s a certified coward with a big mouth

10 hours ago, JAG said:

United States of America:

The US Naval Handbook (1995) provides that “mutilation and other mistreatment of the dead” are representative war crimes. 

Taking selfies with the dead isn't 'mistreatment' IMHO.

Is taking a photo of yourself (the hunter) with the moose/bear you just shot considered 'mistreatment'?

How about a photo of you holding up the fish you just caught and killed?

I don't think so.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

A sharpened entrenching tool is one of the weapons a soldier uses to kill the enemy. Just imagine the damage one can do to an enemies face with that. High explosives blow people into little bits, bayonets make big holes in people's bodies and they can take hours to die, etc. 

Yet it's illegal to "mistreat" the dead.

World has gone mad.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A sharpened entrenching tool is one of the weapons a soldier uses to kill the enemy. Just imagine the damage one can do to an enemies face with that. High explosives blow people into little bits, bayonets make big holes in people's bodies and they can take hours to die, etc. 

World has gone mad.

Showing off with US soldiers bodies is one of the things that seems to infuriate people the most. So US soldiers should refrain from the very same act.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

DJT's stiff middle finger to the military's own judiciary maybe?

I served, and the people I had least respect for were officers. I gave some of them an imaginary finger every day. That was for officers that actually did a proper job. I never met a judiciary officer, so I can't imagine what virtual insults I'd give to them.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems that people don't want to think about the rough men that go in harm's way to protect them against bad people, yet when something like this happens they want those rough men to behave like themselves, when they wouldn't volunteer to do that job. Shame on them.

Don't confuse war, protection, with this kind of behaviour.

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Taking a photo of a dead man is criminal, is it? What do civilians think the rough men that fight those wars are like anyway? Do they have a clue?

Why do it to theirs when you don't want it done to yours.

17 hours ago, lust said:

Well, I’m not American. So I didn’t lose. But I’m also not a soyboy who thinks we should all sit around singing kumbaya suckin each other off. All is fair in love and war.

Hmmm, so ISIS is right using the beheadings? Nazis were OK with the death camps because "all is fair in love and war"? Just posing the question for reflection.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Taking a photo of a dead man is criminal, is it? What do civilians think the rough men that fight those wars are like anyway? Do they have a clue?

I would agree that most civilians avoid thinking about the deaths during warfare. I also note that the governments ordering the actions do not want the filmed reality shown to the civilians (reflecting on my age of seeing the Vietnam news casts every evening).

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where do you think the military get their recruits from, if not from civilians?

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Showing off with US soldiers bodies is one of the things that seems to infuriate people the most. So US soldiers should refrain from the very same act.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to campaign against US soldiers killing foreigners in foreign lands?

Rather than complaining about them taking selfies with the bodies later

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems that people don't want to think about the rough men that go in harm's way to protect them against bad people, yet when something like this happens they want those rough men to behave like themselves, when they wouldn't volunteer to do that job. Shame on them.

I don't want or need American soldiers to protect me from other foreigners.

IMHO the American soldiers would be more likely be a danger to me than the other foreigners.

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't want or need American soldiers to protect me from other foreigners.

IMHO the American soldiers would be more likely be a danger to me than the other foreigners.

If I was in trouble, and American soldiers were the only people that could help me, I would welcome them with open arms.

What this story is all about, is a very tiny minority of soldiers going rogue in a military of of over 1,37x,xxx.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces#By_service

By service

February 2018 Demographic Reports and end strengths for reserve components.[29][35][36][37][38]

Component Military Enlisted Officer Male Female Civilian
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Army.svg. United States Army 471,513 376,206 90,785 465,784 69,345 299,644
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Marine_Co United States Marine Corps 184,427 163,092 21,335 181,845 15,551 20,484
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Navy.svg. United States Navy 325,802 267,286 54,114 265,852 62,168 179,293
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Air_Force United States Air Force 323,222 258,015 61,144 270,462 50,750 174,754
23px-Ensign_of_the_United_States_Coast_G United States Coast Guard 42,042 32,782 8,239      
Total Active 1,347,106 1,137,916 236,826 1,219,510 210,485 681,232
Seal of the United States Army National Guard.svg Army National Guard of the United States 336,879 291,865 45,014      
Seal of the United States Army Reserve.svg United States Army Reserve 190,699 153,064 37,635      
MarforresLogo.jpg United States Marine Corps Reserve 38,473 34,079 4,394      
United States NR Seal.svg United States Navy Reserve 57,650 43,596 14,054      
US-AirNationalGuard-2007Emblem.svg Air National Guard of the United States 106,549 91,274 15,275      
AFR Shield.svg United States Air Force Reserve 68,216 54,658 13,558      
United States Coast Guard Reserve emblem.png United States Coast Guard Reserve 6,142 5,086 1,056      
Total Reserves 807,562 673,622 130,986      
Other DoD personnel           108,833

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Taking selfies with the dead isn't 'mistreatment' IMHO.

Is taking a photo of yourself (the hunter) with the moose/bear you just shot considered 'mistreatment'?

How about a photo of you holding up the fish you just caught and killed?

I don't think so.

Well just about every applicable law from just about every warfaring nation begs to differ on allowing you to mess around with your enemy's corpses.

But you can keep on taking pictures on your hunting and shooting and fishing trips because AFAIK, there is a difference between sport and war.

I know. I googled it!

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

World has gone mad.

Tell us how you feel about necrophilia.

Archived