Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

U.S. considers pulling up to 4,000 troops from South Korea - Chosun Ilbo

Recommended Posts

U.S. considers pulling up to 4,000 troops from South Korea - Chosun Ilbo

By Joyce Lee

 

2019-11-21T030011Z_1_LYNXMPEFAK06J_RTROPTP_4_VIETNAM-USA.JPG

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper speaks at the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam in Hanoi, Vietnam November 20, 2019. REUTERS/Kham

 

SEOUL (Reuters) - The United States is considering a significant cut to its troop numbers in South Korea if Seoul does not contribute more to the cost of the deployment, South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo reported on Thursday.

 

Washington broke off defence cost talks with South Korea this week after demanding Seoul raise its annual contribution to $5 billion (£4 billion), more than five times what it pays now, in a rare public display of discord in the alliance.

 

Neither side has publicly confirmed the numbers, but U.S. President Donald Trump has said the U.S. military presence in and around South Korea was "$5 billion worth of protection".

 

"I understand that the U.S. is preparing to withdraw one brigade in case negotiations with South Korea do not go as well as President Trump wants," a diplomatic source in Washington with knowledge of the negotiations was cited as saying by Chosun Ilbo.

 

A typical U.S. military brigade numbers about 3,000 to 4,000 troops. There are about 28,500 U.S. troops currently stationed in South Korea, which remains technically in a state of war with nuclear-armed neighbour North Korea following their 1950-1953 conflict.

 

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he was not aware of any plans to withdraw 4,000 U.S. troops from South Korea if cost-sharing talks failed.

"We're not threatening allies over this. This is a negotiation," he told reporters during a trip to Vietnam.

 

South Korea's defence ministry said the Chosun report was "not the official position of the U.S. government".

 

Under U.S. law, the United States' troop presence in South Korea must not fall below 22,000 unless the Secretary of Defense justifies a further reduction to Congress.

 

Chosun said the potential reduction of a brigade from U.S. troops stationed in South Korea had already been discussed with the top brass of U.S. forces in South Korea.

 

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

 

U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun said on Wednesday he believed the United States should continue to station troops in South Korea, when asked if he would continue to advocate for the presence of U.S. military personnel in the country if he is confirmed as deputy secretary of state.

 

"South Korea is among our most important alliance partners. That doesn't mean anybody gets a free ride. We have a tough burden-sharing negotiation that we're in the middle of with the South Koreans," Biegun said.

 

South Korean political party leaders visited Washington on Wednesday to press for a fair and reasonable outcome of the cost-sharing talks.

"I stressed that a withdrawal of U.S. troops from South Korea should not be brought up, as the South Korea-U.S. alliance also helps the U.S. national interest," said Na Kyung-won of the main opposition Liberty Korea Party.

 

Meanwhile, South Korea's intelligence-sharing pact with Japan, which Seoul decided to terminate after relations soured over historical issues and has become the subject of increasing U.S. pressure to renew, is set to expire on Nov. 23.

 

South Korea's presidential office is holding a National Security Council meeting on Thursday, where the agreement is expected to be discussed, South Korean media said.

 

(Reporting by Joyce Lee; Additional reporting by Phil Stewart in Hanoi, David Brunnstrom and Daphne Psaledakis in Washington; Editing by Jack Kim and Stephen Coates)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, webfact said:

but U.S. President Donald Trump has said the U.S. military presence in and around South Korea was "$5 billion worth of protection".

 

"Protection".

 

"Nice dry cleaners ya got there, be a shame if it burned down".

 

 

Unclear how much money this saves? I mean a brigade would not be fired, right? They'd return to the U.S., or get rented out as mercenaries to KSA?

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the US should be ready to use nukes to defend South Korea if the Chinese were to get involved.

Other than that back stop, which should be enough to keep the Chinese away, no more western boys should die to defend South Korea. Other than stopping the communists taking over the peninsula, what did the deaths of so many western boys accomplish? It's not even a war that people think about now.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

 

"Protection".

 

"Nice dry cleaners ya got there, be a shame if it burned down".

 

 

Unclear how much money this saves? I mean a brigade would not be fired, right? They'd return to the U.S., or get rented out as mercenaries to KSA?

 

 

 

 

They probably just wouldn't recruit new soldiers till the new level was reached. Must be lots of soldiers leaving all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is Trump doing now? Get this guy out, quick!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

no more western boys should die to defend South Korea.

 

How many western boys died defending South Korea? I mean after the end of the conflicts in 1953?

 

Soldier deaths in South Korea put spotlight on US military suicide crisis

 

He was one of at least nine 2nd Infantry Division soldiers — ages 18 to 32 — who died by suicide in nearly three years, from May 2016 to April 2019.

 

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/soldier-deaths-in-south-korea-put-spotlight-on-us-military-suicide-crisis-1.606963

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim love your ar.... too. Good boy. Kim will now dust off his grandfather’s invasion plan and ready his long range ballistic missiles to reach USA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Kim love your ar.... too. Good boy. Kim will now dust off his grandfather’s invasion plan and ready his long range ballistic missiles to reach USA.

That could be fun actually....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...