Internet Access - Remote Areas

Old Croc

Apologies, I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't easily find a thread.

Is it possible to get fast, reliable internet away from major towns in remote locations in Thailand?

Loei Province specifically.

(Not for me, I'm ensconced in Phuket with fast fibre from 3bb) 

Mobile phone data or hard-wired cable?  AIS has the best cell-phone infrastructure in Thailand. If there's a good cell-phone connection you'll have data. 3BB is probably the number one provider of internet to rural areas.  I live in a rural area about 18 km NE of Surin and 1-1/2 km outside the village and have 3BB Fiber. 

11 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Mobile phone data or hard-wired cable?  AIS has the best cell-phone infrastructure in Thailand. If there's a good cell-phone connection you'll have data. 3BB is probably the number one provider of internet to rural areas.  I live in a rural area about 18 km NE of Surin and 1-1/2 km outside the village and have 3BB Fiber. 

I think the query was more about streaming tv programs and using skype or similar.

So someone like 3bb could possible run fiber some distance from the nearest town? 

When 3BB vdsl internet first became available in our area 4 years ago, I was their first and only subscriber. 3BB strung cable from the junction box in the village to our home at no charge.  About 9-months later, they set-up a new connection for a house 200 meters past ours and now there is a third home with internet. When 100/100 fiber became available, I was again their first subscriber and they strung fiber-optic to my home again at no- charge.  I can't speak for what other customers have paid or 3BB's policy.

I lived in a small village in an non-touristy province and had great internet since about 2005 when I first needed it, but obviously the person who is needing the service should speak to the local provider... they can answer the question specifically - we cannot... 

ps - good luck - near all places, even remote have internet now... 

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I lived in a small village in an non-touristy province and had great internet since about 2005 when I first needed it, but obviously the person who is needing the service should speak to the local provider... they can answer the question specifically - we cannot... 

ps - good luck - near all places, even remote have internet now... 

Thanks for the reply. I realize it's going to vary according to where you are, but it would help to know how the system works generally.

Could you please advise the type of service you had and the supplier?

How remote is remote ? I live 17 km from a market town and 45 km from a city and yet I am in the sticks but my computer connection is great. We started off by being connected to the local school which had internet connection but now the whole village is connected.

I'm in a remote area and get 100/100 fiber internet (much faster package are available) but mobile phone has only weak 4G or less. I can stream 4K without issue. In my case I added a UPS to the router so even when there short power outage the internet is still working. 

You should ask 3BB if they cover you area. In my case they came the next day for install. I live 1.5h drive from the closest supermarket to give an idea... 

I am 1 hour from the nearest 7-11, that's how remote I am.

In Kanchanaburi village 3BB said 'no problem' but when the surveyed it became a 'not yet' so I went for the only other alternative, TOT. 30Mb fibre, bit flaky sometimes but not bad. This was 2 years ago and the other competitors are available now and frequently send thir mobile sales teams so the village.

Main issue in the rural areas is you may not have so much choice as in an urban area.

I would die of boredom without the internet ????

What do you call remote? Some folks would regard our location as remote being 25km from the nearest town.

But for what it's worth, when we moved in here, we contacted True and were hooked up to TV and internet by fibre within 24 hours. Can't grumble about that.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:20 PM, tweedledee2 said:

Yes maybe. In Udon-thani & sticks Yes deffo. 

3 BB pulled up to wife's mums house a few months ago, ripped out (nicely) the reliable copper system and said "have this extra fast fibre optic system on us????????

Sorry tweedle I've inserted on the back of your post ????

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for the reply. I realize it's going to vary according to where you are, but it would help to know how the system works generally.

Could you please advise the type of service you had and the supplier?

Sure, I had TOT and it came in through my in home phone line... and it was mostly pretty good. Sometimes the service would slow down and I would have them check the router but they always brought it back up to speed.. 

Reliable service ? Considering the electricity goes out a couple of times a month........ besides asking a carrier.... usually if there is a school near by they will probably have internet. 3BB can run a cable to your residence. The internet will still go out a couple of times a month but it is better than nothing..

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

How remote is remote ? I live 17 km from a market town and 45 km from a city and yet I am in the sticks but my computer connection is great. We started off by being connected to the local school which had internet connection but now the whole village is connected.

He's talking about somewhere up the road from Dan Sai in Loei. (probably closer to Laos than anything!) If the earthquakes don't interfere perhaps they supply from that town.

36 minutes ago, Chazar said:

There is  also available Wi-Max from Tot, I used it for years until Fibre and it was  pretty  good 6-10mb

Yes, all the major providers have a WiMax solution if copper or fibre is not possible.

You need to talk to the major players and see what they can offer.

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I'm in a remote area and get 100/100 fiber internet (much faster package are available) but mobile phone has only weak 4G or less. I can stream 4K without issue. In my case I added a UPS to the router so even when there short power outage the internet is still working. 

You should ask 3BB if they cover you area. In my case they came the next day for install. I live 1.5h drive from the closest supermarket to give an idea... 

To get fiber at that speed when so far out says a lot. I guess coverage in rural areas can be better than I, for one, would have thought.

2 hours ago, robpuff said:

YES!  I am in the isolated village of Ban Chiang, Nong Han, Udon Thai and get 150-250m via 3BB

Unbelievable! That's what I get in Phuket.

Ban Chiang - many years ago, I had a sort-of girlfriend from there!

We all know there are a lot of things wrong in Thailand, but the internet is not one of them. I would even suggest that it is superior to Australia (in my experience of visiting there many times, with a cap often placed on usage) and even my native UK, where my experience is slower speeds and I've read of many places with poor or even no coverage. I live in an Issan village, although on a busy road to Laos, and 3BB have a great service. I've got 200/200, although my laptop connected to it can only deal with a maximum of 100, and streaming tv from around the world is no problem at all.

As suggested above though, you really need to speak to the local provider. But if it is available then it'll probably be excellent.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:20 PM, tweedledee2 said:

I lived in a valley among mountains in Lampang Province and AIS was THE first company to install a mobile phone mast providing cell-phone and internet connections. It was an immediate success and fantastic. 

Archived