Tax Relief When Withdrawing UK Private Pension

Mario666

13 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I read Article 18 as the resident state having taxing rights.

Thus if the OP becomes resident of Vietnam then Vietnam have taxing right.

Apologies if this is what your stating

My apologies I believe you are correct. 

Hi, fyi below is my experience of cashing in a private pension plan I had in the UK last year, I am a UK non-resident for tax purposes living in Thailand and Phoenix Life was the company that held my pension pot and were fully aware that I was retired and living full time in Thailand.

The pension pot was less than £30,000 and so did not require me to have an FA certify I had taken his advice before cashing in. The first 25% was paid tax free and the remainder taxed (note my personal tax allowance was already used on other UK income). However HMRC when they calculate the tax due assume you will receive the same payment for each month of the tax year, i.e. I had a load of tax withheld by the pension provider, however you can then claim the excess tax withheld back at the end of the tax year.

If you are considering the QROPS route - I believe this maybe discontinued if Brexit actually happens as my understanding is that QROPS was driven by an EU initiative, i.e. something the UK had to incorporate. Happy to be corrected on this understanding.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, Hugh Jarse said:

The biggest advantage of a QROP is that on your demise the pot can be transferred to spouse ,family members or whomsoever you want to benefit and there is no death tax  to pay.

On that subject....

https://www.standardlife.co.uk/c1/guides-and-calculators/passing-on-your-wealth-tax-efficiently.page

Also https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/content/spotlights-files/uploads/QROPS_SPOT021_v1.3.pdf

The UK personal allowance is £12500 for 6th April 2019-5th April 2020

Cont'd...

I was tax resident in the UK ( & still) in 2018, when accessing the tax free bit of the Pensions, so would not be able to give any clues on your tax situation. Also I do not intend to take anything from the Taxable 75% until I'm sure I shall not go back to work in the U.K. (Though tax rules could change). I look at it that that component can grow tax free within the Pension wrapper, and hopefully make a real yield big enough to partially take the edge off the 20% tax charge if I should withdraw later. I will not be taking out more than; 40% Tax threshold minus my other income!

The taxable bit left in my SIPPs also give a substitute for some life cover when it expires in a few years. 

If you think the Political situation is scary, it's even more scary in Scotland! 

Archived