Info about Living in Ubon Ratchathani City

MrDetUdom

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for a whole bunch of advice about Ubon Ratchathani city. Me and the family are currently out in the countryside part of Ubon, out past Det Udom towards the Laos border. When we moved the family out there, it was only going to be temporary, so I continued to run my business from Bangkok and fly back and forth. However, 2 years on and our temporary situation has become semi-permanent, and I'm sick of the travel and spending so much time away from wife and kids. So, we are thinking of moving to Ubon city. We've tried tracking down info, but have not had much luck, so onto the questions.

1. Serviced offices/shared offices/co-working/office space. I've tried looking and have never found anything like this. I did find a co-working space on the net, but it had gone out of business before I could get a chance to check it out. Do any of you guys/gals know of this kind of office space? My business is basically just freelance work, so I don't need or want some kind of huge office. Just a room with a desk/toilet/air conditioner. Which brings me to 2:

2. Where is the central business district? Is there any? I've spent a lot of time driving around and looking. There isn't really any part of town that looks like a business center. There is maybe that area stretching out south-west from where immigration is, but even there it just seems like loads of cafes/restaurants, not much business/offices. The few days I've come into town to get the car serviced, I've used the Starbucks in the Sunee Hotel. But that area all seems retail and not business.

3. Where is a nice residential area for family with small children? My wife likes the area around Central. There is a housing estate (Sirimongkol6) and a few others near there. Personally, I hate the idea of those cookie-cutter houses. But, as my wife points out, those estates usually have a playground and sometimes swimming pool, which are huge bonuses for the kids. What do you guys with small kids do? Are there any public facilities like that for small kids, or are we better off getting into a housing estate that has them?

Thanks in advance everyone

I have lived in Ubon for 25 years and so I may be able to give some answers to your questions.

1 Serviced offices/shared offices/co-working/office space

I have no idea about this kind of space. What I do know is that there are numerous for sale/for lease signs on the front of shop-like apartments all over the place. Rents are expensive, averaging at least 10,000 baht/month.

If you only need a room, what about working out from your home?

2 Where is the central business district? All over the place. Just like the government departments.

3 Where is a nice residential area for family with small children? I myself, have lived very close to the Central Plaza area for 19 years. The first house I had in that area was close to Huai Muang Lake. The area has developed a lot and now I Condo is building their big complex right across the road from my old house. Huai Muang is great for jogging and biking around. Where I live now is across the by-pass road down the road from Hop Inn in a very quiet 1.5 rai back section. Both these areas are only 2-3 minutes from Central Plaza. No traffic jams. Very convenient to get out of town. Also in the Benchama high school zone which is an important consideration for your children. 

As far as I know, no expats at all live in these areas. Expats seem to prefer the northern and eastern areas of Ubon; Kham Yai and Huai Wang Nong. But getting into town from these areas can be a nightmare with traffic jams. Avoid at all cost any soi leading on to Chayangkun Road.

4 Housing estates near Central Plaza. Only two I think. I have heard that Sirimongkol 6 is having some subsiding problems causing cracking in their houses. The River has been built well. I believe that a fitness centre and swimming pool are being built a few metres inside the main gate. It might be worth looking at that place if it appeals to your wife.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

I have lived in Ubon for 25 years and so I may be able to give some answers to your questions.

1 Serviced offices/shared offices/co-working/office space

I have no idea about this kind of space. What I do know is that there are numerous for sale/for lease signs on the front of shop-like apartments all over the place. Rents are expensive, averaging at least 10,000 baht/month.

If you only need a room, what about working out from your home?

2 Where is the central business district? All over the place. Just like the government departments.

3 Where is a nice residential area for family with small children? I myself, have lived very close to the Central Plaza area for 19 years. The first house I had in that area was close to Huai Muang Lake. The area has developed a lot and now I Condo is building their big complex right across the road from my old house. Huai Muang is great for jogging and biking around. Where I live now is across the by-pass road down the road from Hop Inn in a very quiet 1.5 rai back section. Both these areas are only 2-3 minutes from Central Plaza. No traffic jams. Very convenient to get out of town. Also in the Benchama high school zone which is an important consideration for your children. 

As far as I know, no expats at all live in these areas. Expats seem to prefer the northern and eastern areas of Ubon; Kham Yai and Huai Wang Nong. But getting into town from these areas can be a nightmare with traffic jams. Avoid at all cost any soi leading on to Chayangkun Road.

4 Housing estates near Central Plaza. Only two I think. I have heard that Sirimongkol 6 is having some subsiding problems causing cracking in their houses. The River has been built well. I believe that a fitness centre and swimming pool are being built a few metres inside the main gate. It might be worth looking at that place if it appeals to your wife.

Huai WangNong, trip into town is OK once you know the back doubles, I live there...????

The new build area around Ubon Square is perfect for an office, but if you work alone I cannot see why you would want the financial outlay, unless you just like to get out the house..????

There are many new "concrete" estates being built everywhere in Ubon, but a few folk I know have issues with being so close to problem neighbours. Lot's of plots for sale around Huai WangNong reservoir/lake. Bit pricey but known for it being a nice place to build a house, been in mine now for 12 years with no real probs...????

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

Michael, the area around Huai Muang lake is one of the places we have been looking. The River is also one that my wife likes. Good to get some info about cracking at Sirimongkol 6. Our house in Det Udom also got cracking because we were in a rush to get it finished and didn't let the foundation dirt sit for long enough. I guess they rushed the build of Sirimongkol 6. I think the River is still under construction, right? We heard that the floods didn't quite make it up to the River, maybe another 20cm of water and it would have flooded. But the flood water would have been great for getting the foundation dirt to settle.

For the office, it doesn't actually need it to be an office. I just can't work at home. Our youngest is 2 years old. It is impossible for a 2 year old to understand that daddy can't play with him because daddy has to work. The reason I would look for co-working space is because it is the cheapest and most effective office. In Bangkok, I'm paying 800baht per month which includes unlimited coffee. I could just rent a regular apartment, but a regular apartment doesn't usually have the right kind of layout for working. I mean, all I need is a room with a toilet and air con. No need for a shower or kitchen or bed. But the kinds of places like that in residential areas tend not to be good places for concentrating/getting work done. I really need a place that is quiet during the day. But if a regular apartment is the cheapest option, then that would be ok. My current arrangement (I work in Bangkok and commute back and forth between Ubon) is also quite expensive.

Thanks NiwPix. I hadn't seen that co-working space. I'll check it out. For the ubonhomes.com, I've seen it but it seems way lacking in terms of stock actually inside Ubon city. Almost everything they have is outside the ring road. I know most Thai's tend to sell/rent out properties just by sticking up a cardboard sign on the front of their houses, which makes it really difficult to look if you are not in the area. I'll have to get the wife and kids in the car, and we'll drive around. It's just difficult to do when you're dragging 2 small kids along who just want to go to the playground in Central.

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Ubonsquare is actually dying...or already dead.

About 5 years ago, I thought about opening something there...at that time the area was filling up and looked promising.

Unfortunately, they all went belly up and now it's deserted, and unlikely to come back.

I have to partially disagree on this statement. Yes, it was up and coming and yes it did die down, but it seems to be making a slow comeback. They drastically reduced the rent there and shops are opening up again. However, I am not sure if the rent reduction was / is an introductory offer for the first 3 months or first year or a "permanent" reduction.

10 hours ago, NiwPix said:

I have to partially disagree on this statement. Yes, it was up and coming and yes it did die down, but it seems to be making a slow comeback. They drastically reduced the rent there and shops are opening up again. However, I am not sure if the rent reduction was / is an introductory offer for the first 3 months or first year or a "permanent" reduction.

The problem in Ubon is that it has become a Central Plaza all or nothing city, with only the big supermarkets such as Lotus and Big C still surviving.

Just look at what has happened to SK (at the roundabout) or even Sunee Plaza...

Ubonsquare was meant to be a bit upmarket, but all the money has gone to Central, and the people who go to Big C are generally more likely to eat and shop at the cheap outdoors stalls rather than at Pizza Co.

Even the Mc Donalds has been struggling since day one.

I imagine that the guy who runs it also owns the building, otherwise I can't see how he can make it...

Ubonsquare may well follow the same path as the Avenue shopping center in Pattaya, reaching lower and lower with every passing year...

We moved to Ubon Ratchathani 3 years ago from Bangkok. I must say, when we (me, wife and daughter) first moved to Ubon Ratchathani, we fell in love with it. I must say, in just the 3 years that we lived here, Ubon has changed a lot. Numerous of businesses have closed down and many friends (Thai and expats) have moved out. All I keep hearing from the locals is that Ubon was more lively years ago but unfortunately has died down. 

• Like 1

The money came to Ubon to create a money making town. It hasn't happened because there is no money in the Ubon masses. Central, Tesco's etc, have just created a comfortable A/C environment day out for the locals..Thai friends say the rent is crazyin the hi-so venues. Go look upstairs in the tech space at Sunee, near all closed down....

Ubon Square, shops, restaurants closed down or never opened, too expensive to rent..Years back Ubon Square area was great, cheap basic stuff, and food for the masses...........

Mind you, the area is now full of brand name car dealers, Ubon is now full of new car owners, that cannot afford the payments, so the expensive places to eat or shop are probably taking a hit...

• 2 weeks later...

How is the smog situation in the burning season in Isaan? How long is the burning season?

I am looking for a really nice villa but cannot find anything on the web. Have not made up my mind about location right now. So basically all over TH is a possibility however I like it quit with no or low traffic as I am a road cyclist and also good air quality is a must for me. So Chiang Mai area is off the charts for example as I understand it has lots of smog during the burning season. Thanks for any advise!

Thanks again guys. Me and family went in and drove around, checked everything out. We went in to The River for a sales tour. It was absolutely not my style, but it did look like they were targeting up-market. There was a Lamborghini in the parking lot, and the sales told us it belonged to a guy who lived there and owned 2. At first I thought it was a BS sales stunt. I don't understand why someone who owns 2 Lamborghini's would be choosing this kind of place to live. However, I got in touch with the Ubon Homes guy, and we had a long chat, and it just seems like this is the kind of place that the Thais like. The fact that it is a gated community makes it seem more exclusive/desirable to them. The info I've heard about that area and the flood plains they reclaimed makes me doubt living there. I've seen how Thai construction companies love to cut corners. I don't see why it would be any different with the reclaimed land around the River.

Thanks too transam. We drove around the lake there, and were quite surprised. It was actually quite nice. I think I would be pretty happy living in that kind of area. There were loads of blocks for sale, as you said, but we probably don't want to go through the hassle of building a new house given that we're not sure how long we would stay. Its also a bit of a catch 22 situation - if the place we choose to live is nice then we will probably stay longer, but if we are not prepared to invest long-term then we won't get a nice place. Also, where is this tech space at Sunee? I've been to the Starbucks there, but had no idea there was a tech space so close.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:12 AM, ubonjoe said:

None here in Ubon. Have a look at the site if you are looking for a house. https://ubonhomes.com/

Other parts can have it when sugar cane is being harvested. Khon Kaen has had the pollution in Issan.

Thanks for the link Ubonjoe! I would be looking for a villa with a big pool 12x8 Meters min. Found a lot of these in Koh Samui, Pattaya etc in the range of 40.000-120.000 Baht rent per month. I guess theses types of property are quite rare in Isaan?

Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

From my point of view I found UR city as the least dynamic city and  least entertaining town of all the cities ive visited in Issan.

Have to agree. First time I went there it seemed to be a decent, busy sort of place with lots going on and would see plenty of foreigners there. Now I see very few, Ubon Square is definitely not somewhere to open a business. Ubon seems to be like a sprawling urban mess, with no thought to how it was expanded. Plus, nightlife options are poor unless you can speak passable Thai, even then not so good.

It's just a boring, concrete mess. Nevada closed their bowling alley. The cinemas are pretty crumby. If you want to buy a cheap home on the outskirts and enjoy your life with your family, then it would be OK - good supermarkets and education options. But really as a city it is about as exciting as a wet sock.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 9:05 PM, SteveK said:

Have to agree. First time I went there it seemed to be a decent, busy sort of place with lots going on and would see plenty of foreigners there. Now I see very few, Ubon Square is definitely not somewhere to open a business. Ubon seems to be like a sprawling urban mess, with no thought to how it was expanded. Plus, nightlife options are poor unless you can speak passable Thai, even then not so good.

It's just a boring, concrete mess. Nevada closed their bowling alley. The cinemas are pretty crumby. If you want to buy a cheap home on the outskirts and enjoy your life with your family, then it would be OK - good supermarkets and education options. But really as a city it is about as exciting as a wet sock.

Definitely agree with this, except the part about education options.

Ubon is fine. There are enough options for food, family, friends activities (but less than before). But it is not really a place for education or work.

I think it is the perfect place for a retiree or someone who works from home.