Residency certificate for drivers license renewal

I’m tearing my hair out trying to renew my 2 year Thai drivers license. As I’m on an original elite visa i can only renew for 2 years at a time. Historically I went the the Australian embassy and filled out a statutory Declaration stating my address, but as I found out when I went there the Australian Embassy will no longer witness a statutory declaration for your address or any for any use in Thailand. If they witness a statutory declaration it must be for use in Australia. 

So I then go to Chang Wattana immigration armed with a brick of photocopies. No problem BUT they won’t do it there and then, they mail it to you “ in about a month” . I pleaded my case for an express service and offered to pay whatever for it but to no avail.

My problem is that I am leaving for Australia in early December and my Thai license will expire this month so I won’t have a valid license in Australia. To boot I think the residency letter from immigration is only good for 1 month so it may be expired by the time I return in mid January.

I don’t have a yellow book, a pink card or a work permit, I own my condo and have a valid TM 30 receipt.  Does anyone know if the Dept of land transport at Sukhumvit Road bangchak will take these as proof of address.

Alternatively I downloaded the Australian Stat Dec form and I’m wondering if I got a Thai notary public to witness it, if the license issuing office would accept it. ( the Australian govt website clearly says it’s ok for a Foreign Notary Public to witness my signature on a statutory declaration.

Any ideas.

3 minutes ago, JesseBronson said:

I Will need to do the same in Jan. Have a 5 year license from having a previous work permit. 

Now Thai Elite, no residency certificate etc.  Let me know how it goes. 

If you have the new Thai elite that gives you a one year visa then you’re ok you can still get your 5 year license renewed. Mine is the original Thai elite with 3 month extensions so I can  

only get a 2 year license.

Edited by AJBangkok

OP, forget the au stay dec route. AU stat decs cannot be used outside of Australia.

All the ones au embassy issued for income letters for extensions we're not valid. You need CR issued by Thai imm office. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, forget the au stay dec route. AU stat decs cannot be used outside of Australia.

All the ones au embassy issued for income letters for extensions we're not valid. You need CR issued by Thai imm office. 

Yes but that was the immigration dept not the DLT. The DLT still accept them from other countries,  but Australia threw the baby out with the bath water and won’t sign any stat dec’s for use in Thailand.

I was thinking to try an official  Aust Stat dec form with Commonwealth of Australia emblazoned on it but just get it notarized by a local notary instead. The Australian government says a local notary is authorized sign it so maybe it’s worth trying. Maybe it’ll fly at the DLT if they don’t care too much.