Six believed crushed in Phuket building collapse

webfact

They have no idea regarding construction and building engineering. 

Or choose to ignore it. 

Just put in the request for computation information and specs to build a new house in Buriram.

Surveyor, architect and draftsman have all signed off on the specs, but the builder says too much..

We do it same way we always have...less cost.

NO inspections required. 

It amazes me..

I will not be building with this builder...

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Wasn't there a poster here very recently inquiring about building standards in the LOS. ????

I recently received a set of computations for a new house plan. 

Virtually copied from the BS standard information. 

Loading, footings, piers, concrete strength etc.

The big problem is nobody conforms to them.

No pre work inspection. 

No mid point checks. 

No final inspection. 

Just get the monk to do three times around the house and she's sweet..

Move in..

59 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I recently received a set of computations for a new house plan. 

Virtually copied from the BS standard information. 

Loading, footings, piers, concrete strength etc.

The big problem is nobody conforms to them.

No pre work inspection. 

No mid point checks. 

No final inspection. 

Just get the monk to do three times around the house and she's sweet..

Move in..

Don't forget to tie the string around it

3 hours ago, davidstipek said:

Anyone bother to check possible link of time of collapse and Earthquakes in Adamen (spelled wrong... I know)  island area ?? Time's are pretty Damn close!!

An earthquake isn't needed in Thailand, buildings and cranes fall down unassisted.....jokes aside, you do have a point maybe.

This is so very sad but thankfully collapsed before completed because imagine the death toll then. Until there are real skilled tradesmen/women this will just keep on happening. When: if you have a pickup your a foreman, if you have a hammer your a joiner, if you have a screwdriver your an electrician or a spanner your a mechanic it will always be the same. Word of warning to all prospective home builders, project manage every step, buy all materials yourself and only pay after each fase ie foundations, walls, roof/interia and that is only paid on completion. Don't feel victimised because they will rip of a fellow Thai just as easily as you. 

This is becoming common news in Phuket lately, and almost a monthly occurrence. Heads should roll, and not that of the poor workers who likely wouldn’t know what an unsafe site looks like. Really pity those who have to pay the ultimate price for incompetent officials and companies.

I'm recalling several extended threads over the past few years of guys reveling in the fact that they no longer had to conform to nanny state regulations and endure pesky inspections and permitting when they had their homes built.

Then we read about tragedies like this, and kids electrocuted when they touch metal.

On the flip side, there's about a zillion Youtubes right now from Australia about multi-million $$$ buildings that can't be occupied because they're unsafe, and others that are clad in flammable veneer like the Grenfell Tower horror.

This was an avoidable accident, the slab was not supported correctly and has nothing to do with faulty or cheap materials, the person in charge is/was not competent enough to do the job, like many workers i come across. I just had an A/C fitted, when i pointed out that the earth/ground wire from the outside unit should be fitted to the outside power cable, i was told 'mai pen rai' i lost it and shouted in his face PEN RAI !  for the sake of 5 mt single cable ? he fits these units  everyday ! ????

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm recalling several extended threads over the past few years of guys reveling in the fact that they no longer had to conform to nanny state regulations and endure pesky inspections and permitting when they had their homes built.

Then we read about tragedies like this, and kids electrocuted when they touch metal.

On the flip side, there's about a zillion Youtubes right now from Australia about multi-million $$$ buildings that can't be occupied because they're unsafe, and others that are clad in flammable veneer like the Grenfell Tower horror.

I'm one of the kinds that don't like inspectors or permits most of the time it's just a way for the govt to make money. When I built my house in GA I had to have a final inspection the inspector sat on my front porch said I needed to put a hand rail on the steps and signed the papers never went inside another so called electrical inspector came out to inspect my shop so I could have a separate service hooked to it the wiring was in conduit because it was exposed he questioned that and other things that an inspector should have known.

Archived