Help please re numbness

Stevon

Hi all, can anybody help I’m 64 years of age always been very fit and healthy but now if I walk more than 50 yards my bum goes completely numb then my feet. I then sit down for only 5 minutes and every thing is fine, then start walking again and just happens all over again I have been to many doctors in Thailand but no one can seem to help me. I was wondering if Sheryl has any ideas.

All ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I am at an all time low.

Stevon

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Likely either a spinal problem or a vascular one.  As you mention numbness and not pain I would worry re spine.

Where in Thailand are you?

Phetchabun and yes numbness no pain sit down less than 5 minutes bum and feet start to tingle then I’m all back to normal then another 50 yards just happens all over again 

thank you for replying Stevon 

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

See a Dr do not take non professional advice on what could be a life threatening matter.

john

Hi john I have been to see many doctors in Thailand all say not life threatening just old age.....?.... whilst back in the UK went to see doctors who all were pretty clueless but still charged £90 ...I was just hoping someone on the forum would say...oh I’ve had that and what to do I have googled just cannot seem to get anywhere and life is hell cannot go shopping or do anything basically housebound 

thanks anyway Stevon

A few years ago I had very similar symptoms to you. I had an MRI at the RAM in Chiang Mai, consultant found nothing spinal, the discs all  looked ok. 6 months later I was the same as you, couldn't walk more than 50 yards, often hed to sit down on the kerb to get to my destination. Went to Bumrungrad in Bangkok for a second MRI. I wasn't impressed with the consultant. He also could see nothing definitive on the MRI but still suggested a bone fusion procedure that was to cost me $20,000+ USD. I declined. It was never diagnosed but I am pretty sure it was sciatica.

Grasping at straws I visitied a Swiss acupuncturist working where I was living in Siem Reap, Cambodia at the time. I was very skeptical but had nothing to lose. 7 sessions and pain free and that was 5 years ago. I still have minor aches on my lower back but I just walk regularly for exercise and don't do any lifting.

I should say my pain was excruciating, and so your 'numbness' may not be exactly the same. Just my contribution, hope you get this sorted.

I don't have any symptoms that you describe but a few years ago I had numbness in my arm which turned out to be from a nerve that was being "pinched" in my neck.

Anyway I went and had an operation in Singapore which fixed the problem.

So if you are not happy with the Doctors you are seeing in Thailand then maybe a visit to Singapore would be beneficial. If you have the financial means for that and good International Health Insurance I would recommend you visit there.

If that is something you would think about doing let me know and I will post the details of the Neurosurgeon, he is (in my opinion) brilliant and a world leader.

2 hours ago, Stevon said:

Hi Sheryl I live in Phetchabun and the only thing I have not done is a MRI scan

Stevon

1. Get an MRI without contrast of your lumbar spine. You can do that at an imagiong center (quicker and less expensive than hospital), tyhis place has breanches in Pitsanolok and  KhonKaen

http://www.mrithailand.com/en/

2. Bring results on CD to one of these doctors at Srinagarind Hospital Khon Kaen University

1. Prof Kitti Jirarattanaphochai

2. Prof. Surachai Sae-jung

(try through their after hours clinic)

If it is easier or preferrable to come to Bangkok than Khon Kaen let me know and I'll give alternative suggestions.  This is not something to handle within Petchabun.

15 hours ago, AtlasAus said:

No Dr, but could be sciatica, especially if you have pain as well. Perhaps if it keeps happening go to a decent hospital for a look.  

I get sciatica and there is zero numbness.

Re the OP numbness can only come from interference with nerves, IMO, so as said possibly spinal.

Have you tried a chiropractor?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I advise getting a clear diagnosis first before considering chiropracty. Could make matters worse.

He does not have sciatica. He has no pain. He has numbness on buttocks and legs on both sides.

Many many thanks to all who have replied you are all very kind and I really appreciate all your comments 

Sheryl I will take your advice and arrange a MRI scan and come back to you if you don’t mind

Stevon

2 hours ago, Stevon said:

Many many thanks to all who have replied you are all very kind and I really appreciate all your comments 

Sheryl I will take your advice and arrange a MRI scan and come back to you if you don’t mind

Stevon

Of course. No problem.

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Sciatica comes with fierce pain...numbness is a relief.

Sciatica most commonly occurs when a herniated disk, bone spur on the spine or narrowing of the spine (spinal stenosis) compresses part of the nerve. This causes inflammation, pain and often some numbness in the affected leg.

I have had it for years, has swapped sides 3 times in the last couple of years... I find massage, heat packs can relieve it. 

P.S. OP - please do not delay.

With buttocks and both legs being numb, spinal cord lesion or compression needs to be ruled out. Very different situation from typical lower back problem with pain & radiating down one side only.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

P.S. OP - please do not delay.

With buttocks and both legs being numb, spinal cord lesion or compression needs to be ruled out. Very different situation from typical lower back problem with pain & radiating down one side only.

Thank you Sheryl I certainly will not delay i promise my wife tomorrow will contact the people in Phitsonaluk re the MRI scan you recommended 

thank you for your concern I really appreciate it

Stevon

Archived