Ridiculously loud music with ridiculously powerful bass!

SunsetT

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I went to some outside function several months ago and they had those huge speakers and unfortunately we happened to have been sat some 30 ft from the front facing speakers and the bass level made me physically sick! and volume meant none of us, not one, could actually speak to one another as we couldnt hear a word that was being said. Absolutely stupid situation and we left after about 40 minutes.

We did explain to our hosts about the problem as we left.That was met with a smile a wai and "sorry" but no actual action.☹️

Next time talk to them before you leave, then they could do something about it.

• Confused 1

I live in a small Isaan village. If someone isn't having a party or wake at 7am with those crazy speakers blasting out morlam, then there are guys driving pickup trucks loaded with mattresses or watermelons belting something out through a loudhailer.  I rarely get a chance to sleep in past 8am. Noise pollution is not a real thing in Thailand. When I ask my wife about it I get the classic Thai smile and she just says that's how it is.

But then again the first thing in my memory from my adventures in Thailand as a young man is that incessant bell-ringing of the street food vendors near Khao San road after having had a skinfull the night before. I don't know why they insist on using those bells to attract custom in an area surrounded with hotels and guesthouses packed with hungover people. Maybe that's part of the experience. Or maybe they are trying to attract blind people. Who knows. Thailand is a funny place.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

Happy, after many different places in TH, I did do my research before renting (visiting at night to check too, few days). 
Now living in a super quiet village, if there is anything going on it will never last longer than 10-11PM on average. 

Just some dogs barking casually, but not many and never too long. I hate noise, living outside of town and around old people on purpose. 

• Like 1

I got myself an over the ear noise protection, looks like a heavy headphone, the airplane guys use it on the airfield while the engines are running. Good brand is 3M. can order online through Lazada. Or else go to the noisemaker with a young baby in the arm, tell them baby cannot sleep. Worked well in my case...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

Yeah welcome to Thailand. Thai music has a bandwidth of less than 30 to 100 Hz.

It is not so much the kind of music. The problem is that they often use now speakers that can generate very deep strong noise. The advantage is that even if you are deaf already and don't hear it anymore you still can feel the noise.

But against very deep noisy frequencies there is not much you can do. At least if you still want to have windows and balcony doors instead of thick solid walls. Sometimes even the walls vibrate. I have expensive special windows already and they block high and middle frequencies but not very deep frequencies. I even use earplugs in addition and this is still not enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Happy, after many different places in TH, I did do my research before renting (visiting at night to check too, few days). 
Now living in a super quiet village, if there is anything going on it will never last longer than 10-11PM on average. 

Just some dogs barking casually, but not many and never too long. I hate noise, living outside of town and around old people on purpose. 

And the chickens at 5am! I am in the sticks and love it, but when the fish sauce vendors come, or yes, mattress sellers, I stand at my gate and put my fingers in my ears. They couldn't give a toss as most of the locals couldn't buy anything from them.

Where can I buy one of those things with nails the cops use to stop vehicles. 

• Like 1

Noise is my biggest dislike of Thailand ( I have  many more likes than dislikes ) . Whether it's booming music at concerts and festivals , incredibly loud volume speeches and announcements at schools and on planes , or the problem the OP has at the night market , there's nothing anyone can do about it --- especially not farangs .

• Like 1

Alarming when you see people holding babies next to mega watt speakers, they almost always have the bass too high to the extent you often cannot hear the vocalist properly. There are places that get the sound right, surprisingly our local market which has some very expensive equipment. Never go to a concert without boots wax ear plugs stuffed in, has the advantage of not being able to hear what the mrs is on about as well ????

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Haha 2