Ridiculously loud music with ridiculously powerful bass!

SunsetT

15 hours ago, gimo said:

Noise is my biggest dislike of Thailand ( I have  many more likes than dislikes ) . Whether it's booming music at concerts and festivals , incredibly loud volume speeches and announcements at schools and on planes , or the problem the OP has at the night market , there's nothing anyone can do about it --- especially not farangs .

I think the locals driving is my biggest dislike , certainly noise comes close. Sitting having a chat and coffee then talking stops as a horrid youth goes by on his Honda Wave with the loudest exhaust his money can buy.  My middle digit right hand goes up every time , if someone says it is rude to do this I say let that moron on the bike come and complain.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

A couple of years ago we were at the dam about 50 klicks north of Khon Kaen. Very nice lake with bamboo huts lining one shore, and many vendors selling food. We go there often, a couple of cold beers, Some Tom, shrimps, etc, while the kids play in the water 

image.thumb.png.990b83948f094d474f08dd74d86ac4b8.png

Nice place to visit when in the area. Nice an quiet, maybe some music from far away in the background, the sound of laughter from the kids.

Nice most of the time. One time this selfish idiot, and his family backed their pickup truck a few huts away and proceeded blasting music so loud that we had to shout to each other to talk.

Needles to say,the day was ruined, and we packed up an left. 

Why the authorities or the vendors in the area would not say anything is beyond me.

Looks really nice and worth a day trip with the kids when we are in Udon. Can u be more precise about the location and/or give it a name so I can find it on google please?

My brother in law who lives with us was a monk for 15 years and left the Wat about 3 years ago. We are in a small village and he was smart enough to see that the locals who hired out the equipment for weddings, funerals, new monk celebrations etc were a bit thin on the ground, so he invested in 2 sets of sound systems. One he calls big and one he calls small. Believe me the small is loud enough for any event, and the big is way too big. He has 4 speakers that take 4 people to load onto the pickup.  He is quite considerate and always starts off any music at an acceptable level, but tells me withing a minute or 2 the customer turns it up full blast. Fortunately there are only 3 potential customers within earshot of our house, so we never really hear him.

He also spends a fair bit of time maintaining his kit and I have to say the sound is good, not bass-heavy and minimal distortion. About once a month he checks everything in our yard but not at ridiculous hours of the day or night. Actually as a 70's rock fan, sometimes I plug in my phone just for fun, and give our neighbours a brief introduction to Motorhead and Black Sabbath. I don't think they like it much ????

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Looks really nice and worth a day trip with the kids when we are in Udon. Can u be more precise about the location and/or give it a name so I can find it on google please?

Ubolratana dam, it's quite big and there are several such places around the lake.

For example this one: https://goo.gl/maps/ojhmzWcXhXvSwnWK7

Or this one: https://goo.gl/maps/yoHKNbAuB41sLU6o7

I don't know at which exact location the previous poster was.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"Low Frequency Intrusion (LFI) is the involuntary exposure to loud low frequencies in people's personal environments, like their home or work place, inducing physical and mental distress. Evidence suggests that second-hand bass frequencies, most commonly generated by high-powered car or home audio systems, have a negative impact on the human body, mind and spirit."

http://www.lowfrequencyintrusion.com/?p=about

Studies have shown that there are direct links between noise and health.

Problems related to noise include stress related illnesses, high blood pressure, speech interference, hearing loss, sleep disruption, and lost productivity.

Somwhere I read that loud base music makes some women horny, not sure if it's true though.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many Thais I have encountered do not even seem to hear noise. Or it does not register as noise to them. Very bizarre. Further proof that Thailand is not a foreign country, but rather a distant planet. 

Quite similar to them not noticing rubbish in the street/ countryside.

20 hours ago, seajae said:

when I attended a party my wife organized at her work and the music was loaded with full bass and set as loud as it would go distorting it very badly I adjusted it so it was still very loud but with bass turned down a bit with more treble so it actually sounded good, lasted all of a couple of minutes before some idiot went and changed it back. Every event with loud music in Thailand has full bass and no treble and turned up as loud as possible, the music is always distorted because of it, I am convinced many thais have no music sense what so ever so need the bass turned up full so they can feel the vibrations instead of listening to  well balance music, maybe due to being brain dead, hard to tell at times with some of them. We are one street back from the local park so when they hold any events the windows in our house shake very badly due to the full bass and you cant hear each other talk unless you shout, thais have no idea what music should sound like, maybe thats why they like stuff that sounds like screaming cats

Ever heard Thai guys trying to sing? They even make Peltin Elton and Stevie Wonder sound good, when you

hear any of these two singing, you will be thankful for a loud heavy bass sound to drown them out. ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SunsetT said:

It's on the reservoir. Baensaeng 2

On the opposite side is Pattaya 2

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g2237434-d4539145-Reviews-Ubol_Ratana_Dam-Ubolratana_Khon_Kaen_Province.html

I guess the loud music is why so many elderly Thai have to shout at each other. Their ears have gone after decades of loud, amplified music.

I found it funny at a local Thai bar we sometimes went to which had a video music set up. If we played western music loudly, it was always turned down at the request of the Thai patrons.

Once the Thai music started it was turned up and up until it was just distorted noise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Simple, I've got a bigger wang than you, so I have bigger and better speakers, I had the same problem in a previous house the windows vibrated from speakers two soi's away. I don't attend Thai parties or weddings anymore, simply because they crank up the music so load nobody can hear anybody talking without yelling to each other. Thai mentality in most cases is something I find hard to comprehend. TIT

Yep. Total tossas the lot of them.

Cannot disagree with that.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:14 AM, Beggar said:

Here in Pattaya I have noise of open air bars every night. In addition to big speakers they use very big sub woofers directed in my direction.

You live in Pattaya - party city, obviously fairly close to a bar area and you complain about noise?

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, richard_smith237 said:

More volume = more sanook....   That is the only way many will see the 'speaker' issue.

If foreigners are not comfortable with this situation then you may be accused of being 'jai-rai' or 'jai-raun' by some cackling bit of strumpet sporting some slapper ivory and a giveaway tattoo... I've digressed... 

In short - Farang no understand...  Its the mind-numbing banality of it all which makes many events worth avoiding !

Slapper ivory?

I've not heard that before, any chance of a translation which may pass inspection from

the moderators.

• Thanks 1