Ridiculously loud music with ridiculously powerful bass!

SunsetT

On 11/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Beggar said:

Here in Pattaya I have noise of open air bars every night. In addition to big speakers they use very big sub woofers directed in my direction. My experience after endless complaints at the City Hall is that these mostly young people can do whatever they want to do. It is on you to take action and to move away if you don't want to live with it. When I bought this condo this area was completely quiet.

I never would buy a condo here again. 1 big speaker can ruin your investment of several million Baht and the only thing you can do is to forget it and move somewhere else. Now they stop at 2 in the morning. But if I remember correctly they were discussing to extend the opening hours until 4 in the morning. I don't remember that they were discussing the noise pollution these open air bars create now already for very many people. There are not only tourists suffering but also small children who need sleep, children who have to go to school, people who have to work and... 

But it's not only the boom box brigade. I think maybe Thais are immune to noise. I attended my son's parent's meeting last week. The sound system was way too loud, and I'm deaf. 

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, wgdanson said:

Absolute rubbish. And distorted music, creating a square wave, will damage your hearing much quicker than loud good quality sound.

Yes correct typical Thai response I guess she has never been to a concert

with classical music, try playing that loud it will destroy every thing.

(note I am not saying that I like classical music)

On 11/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, sandrabbit said:

I agree, high end hi fi doesn't have tone controls. Bands like Pink Floyd used to spend a small fortune recording their music to perfection only for some idiot to turn up the bass, play it as it was meant to sound. As I keep saying to my wife I wouldn't mind the loud music so much if I could actually hear it instead of a Lancaster bomber going overhead. On the beach during holidays you will get a line of pickups parked and all of them blasting music all day, can't understand how the batteries don't discharge?

No they only discharge when you turn on the light at night time

11 hours ago, Beggar said:

Always these stupid remarks. When I bought this condo there was not one bar in this area. And there is no guarantee at any location that there will not be noise in the future. 

But its Pattaya. If you wanted 'The Quiet Life' - maybe Hua Hin would have been a better choice?

Edited by KhaoYai

Thai people should really be true Buddhists and not indulge in their senses with loud music. In my village, there are loud music blaring almost every night.

The problem is that it is legal to blast extremely loud volume instead of limiting the decibel level in residential area until midnight.

What do Buddhists do? Meditate in silence.

GettyImages-74377267.0.0.jpg

Edited by EricTh

On 11/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, CharlieH said:

I went to some outside function several months ago and they had those huge speakers and unfortunately we happened to have been sat some 30 ft from the front facing speakers and the bass level made me physically sick! and volume meant none of us, not one, could actually speak to one another as we couldnt hear a word that was being said. Absolutely stupid situation and we left after about 40 minutes.

We did explain to our hosts about the problem as we left.That was met with a smile a wai and "sorry" but no actual action.☹️

For someone that's been here as long as you, you should have know what to expect ( and not bothered attending ).

On 11/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

More volume = more sanook....   That is the only way many will see the 'speaker' issue.

If foreigners are not comfortable with this situation then you may be accused of being 'jai-rai' or 'jai-raun' by some cackling bit of strumpet sporting some slapper ivory and a giveaway tattoo... I've digressed... 

In short - Farang no understand...  Its the mind-numbing banality of it all which makes many events worth avoiding !

Totally agree, i never attend nothing where this noise level is expected - basically any local event!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Beggar said:

Always these stupid remarks. When I bought this condo there was not one bar in this area. And there is no guarantee at any location that there will not be noise in the future. 

This is why you should rent and not buy.

You are lucky that your next door neighbour didn't open a metal workshop yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

But its Pattaya. If you wanted 'The Quiet Life' - maybe Hua Hin would have been a better choice?

I have been living at this area for many years before I bought my condo and it was completely quiet. Now with this noise every day from 5 in the afternoon until at least 2 in the morning I have a condo that I don't want to use anymore. It is almost like living next to a big construction site where the construction never ends.  It is better now than some years ago. For a long time not even a conversation in my rooms was possible and I did a lot to block the noise. And of course I complained a lot. But despite this watching TV without earphones is often not possible and sleeping without earplugs completely impossible and this despite special windows (not only double glazing). 

I can move out and write off several millions. I think it will be almost impossible to find a buyer. 

You can call it bad luck or you can call it Pattaya. I understand that some people will laugh at me. But be careful that you don't have the same expensive and frustrating experience. This is why I tell you my sad story even if some might find it funny. Hua Hin? I will never buy anything here again - promised! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes correct typical Thai response I guess she has never been to a concert

with classical music, try playing that loud it will destroy every thing.

(note I am not saying that I like classical music)

Don't really know what you mean. A symphony orchestra can be louder than a rock group, but as it is pure sound, it does not harm the ears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I doubt that a symphony orchestra can be louder than a rock group or karaoke....

I like classical music (which is never too loud) AND rock music (loud, but within limits).

And then there is the Thai problem of not well tuned rock music and off key karaoke.

I like to sing (and play space guitar), but I know I have a horrible voice, so I sing only when nobody hears me - and I would never amplify my voice (unlike Thais who often sing like cats).

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, a symphony orchestra can easily reach 98 decibels, and certain brass and percussion instrumeny have registered 130 - 140 at close range. 

As I said previously, a lot depends on the audio quality of the music, be it classical, heavy metal, rock or Thai. Distortion wil knacker your ears and can cause mental problems. A good hifi system is necessary to enjoy any music, not the thrown-together PAs used over here at full bass eq.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

I have been living at this area for many years before I bought my condo and it was completely quiet. Now with this noise every day from 5 in the afternoon until at least 2 in the morning I have a condo that I don't want to use anymore. It is almost like living next to a big construction site where the construction never ends.  It is better now than some years ago. For a long time not even a conversation in my rooms was possible and I did a lot to block the noise. And of course I complained a lot. But despite this watching TV without earphones is often not possible and sleeping without earplugs completely impossible and this despite special windows (not only double glazing). 

I can move out and write off several millions. I think it will be almost impossible to find a buyer. 

You can call it bad luck or you can call it Pattaya. I understand that some people will laugh at me. But be careful that you don't have the same expensive and frustrating experience. This is why I tell you my sad story even if some might find it funny. Hua Hin? I will never buy anything here again - promised! 

Try and sell it. Maybe a wealthy young party animal from India will buy it, They love noise in India too.....or maybe someone deaf would buy it...????.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, wgdanson said:

They have the loud music even for funerals, so the next time will be in seven days, and then 100 days after that.

They possible COULD do something, the question is WOULD they. No way. They do not want to lose face with the music operator/DJ.

Last time I flew back to Thailand when we arrived at our house in rural Korat it looked like Led Zeppelin were performing at the house across the road. They had huge speaker bins set up on scaffolding. The old lady across the road from us had died that afternoon, while we were traveling in the van from Mor Chit to Pak Thong Chai. I reckon the very second she took her last breath her family were immediately on the phone ordering the Led Zeppelin sound system. As you say it lasted 7 days, starting at 5am and continuous to around midnight. Then 100 days later we had another round but not so loud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Try and sell it. Maybe a wealthy young party animal from India will buy it, They love noise in India too.....or maybe someone deaf would buy it...????.

It is hard to sell used condos here in Pattaya. And this condo - the buyer must be insane. Many people love noise - but not next to their home. I see it as total loss and if I move out I will still have to pay the condo fees. It is a bigger condo and so I will pay several thousand Baht for nothing every month. And I will move out because I don't expect any improvement. Rather the opposite. 

• Sad 1

On 11/22/2019 at 5:14 AM, SunsetT said:

This reminds me of another issue regarding noise: The core practice of Theravada Buddhism is supposed to be meditation. So the fact that, with Wats and monks everywhere here, there is no official criticism or condemnation of noise and bass levels by The Buddhist head honchos, because it interferes with meditation, leads me to think that there is precious little meditation being practised at most Wats in Thailand. If there was an appeal to curb it coming from the Buddhist hierarchy, I think the superstitious Thai people (worrying about decreasing their karmic likelihood of winning the lottery) might actually respond and lower the volume and bass...????

If you have mastered meditation the noise is no longer an issue as you have mastered control of your mind. I would suggest these monks are far from this state of grace. Grimly the Vietnamese monk who set himself on fire felt no pain or moved a muscle as he burnt to death such was his mastery. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thích_Quảng_Đức

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/curb-enthusiasm-returns-7-signs-becoming-grumpy-old-man/

Edited by beautifulthailand99

5 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Because they keep their engines running full blast to charge the batteries and to add to the relaxing seaside ambiance of extreme noise and choking diesel fumes. Falang no unnerstan....

full blast ..... do they hold them on the rev limiter ?

I ear you. My gym plays nauseating Techno and it is neither motivating nore tolerable. They also play aerobics TV with its own "music" and the horrible clash seems to bother no one.

Many buses in Vietnam play awful domestic songs with shrill tones or techno. Hours of noise pollution! 

And when there was a funeral, their response is to blast the neighborhood from 5 something am till about 11 pm.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, CharlieH said:

I went to some outside function several months ago and they had those huge speakers and unfortunately we happened to have been sat some 30 ft from the front facing speakers and the bass level made me physically sick! and volume meant none of us, not one, could actually speak to one another as we couldnt hear a word that was being said. Absolutely stupid situation and we left after about 40 minutes.

We did explain to our hosts about the problem as we left.That was met with a smile a wai and "sorry" but no actual action.☹️

I am "self-excluded" from social events because of it.

Also public events, even those that concern my enthusiasms/interests.

My last was a temple fair 4 years ago.

I only went because I thought it impolite to decline an invitation, by a fellow foreigner, to take me there.

It was one of the first things to "rub the shine off" Thailand for me.

• Like 2