Just Say No! 2 No Bag Day! Tag it and Bag it!

4675636b596f75

Will you make a fuss over the ridiculous no bag day policy?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Yes ! purely from a practical point of view. 

If I had stuff that could not be reasonably carried then they would have to bag it or I would leave it. The option to buy a non-plastic bag should be and remain a choice, NOT compulsory. (imho)

Walking around Thailand with the ability to avoid the gaps in the pavement is hard enough when your eyes can see the terrain beneath you, but now add a ridiculously cumbersome box with food items rolling around and think about your safety.  

FoodLand and all other stupidmarkets should be sued for any injuries due to not being able to control one's own groceries!

Try navigating the parking lots, with cables strewn across, uneven pavement and bad steps, and do it while balancing a huge box full of groceries.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

at Villa Market I tell the super beautiful check out checker person to put everything back in the cart.  You can shop for me on Tuesdays.  I just want to know where you will put the 5k bag of rice.

I'll pay you to shop for me.  How much?

Edited by 4675636b596f75
  • Haha 2

Wonderful idea.  Sometimes I shop on a whim.  I take Ikea bags with me to Makro because I know they don't have bags.  They don't hide them.  

I plan my trips to Makro.  In the case of shopping at Foodland I may do it spur of the moment and I might not be home.  I don't carry those stupid clothes bags with me when I go out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Wonderful idea.  Sometimes I shop on a whim.  I take Ikea bags with me to Makro because I know they don't have bags.  They don't hide them.  

I plan my trips to Makro.  In the case of shopping at Foodland I may do it spur of the moment and I might not be home.  I don't carry those stupid clothes bags with me when I go out.

I guess when you go shopping you bring your stuff first home ….?Or you take it all along your day/night journey ? besides it is like a wallet folded ...and just a suggestion not force .

13 minutes ago, david555 said:

I guess when you go shopping you bring your stuff first home ….?Or you take it all along your day/night journey ? besides it is like a wallet folded ...and just a suggestion not force .

I read the above twice, and I still don't get your meaning.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I read the above twice, and I still don't get your meaning.

I was reading your reply in the way you don't like  walking around with a shopping bag when going out .

lost in translation I think 

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

I was reading your reply in the way you don't like  walking around with a shopping bag when going out .

lost in translation I think 

You keep a condom in your wallet for that time you didn't plan.  Do you have 2?  Or perhaps 5 condoms in your wallet? Who goes out to the movies and takes shopping bags with them, just in case they shop?  

This is why stores have bags.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

You keep a condom in your wallet for that time you didn't plan.  Do you have 2?  Or perhaps 5 condoms in your wallet? Who goes out to the movies and takes shopping bags with them, just in case they shop?  

This is why stores have bags.  

understand …. but what you go do 1 January as it seems the Thai government go on with their plan ….

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Can you not walk out of Foodland pushing a trolley with your groceries in it?  Makro never supplies bags and  unless you went to Foodland by public transport, I don't see the problem. However I do agree that they might have made an exception, after all, Thais don't normally question things like this.

Great idea. But perhaps they will not allow you to walk home with the trolley. But it would be worth a try. 

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

The only people I sympathize with are tourists unaware of a "no bag" policy and without the ability to prepare for it. A recent visitor from Japan wound up at Tops Market just off the plane, and was shocked he would not be provided with a bag for his purchase. Seems a simple alternative is to just charge 5baht for a bag. So you can get it when it is absolutely needed, but have the ability to plan for not needing one and saving the 5baht.

agree, but why only 5 baht ?

• Like 2

I keep plastic bag folded up in my pocket all the time because often even on regular days they're skimpy on the bags and I need fortification. 

So I can deal with no bag days but sometimes I put some stuff back on those days. 

The box thing is an insult for those taking public transportation. Seems like we should get some baggie points for that. 

No I wouldn't push them but on the other hand I'm cynical about the global impact of such measures which sorry to use right wing rhetoric sometimes feel like virtue signaling. OK boomer? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I keep plastic bag folded up in my pocket all the time because often even on regular days they're skimpy on the bags and I need fortification. 

Every one of my backpacks and murses have good quality USA or Siam Department store plastic bag folded into a nanometer sized package and stashed. Sometimes two. For keeping the camera dry.

22 minutes ago, 30la said:

I haven't used plastic bags in years, and?
It works very well and makes me feel good too!

well I use them here because:

1. I need garbage bags and hate buying them  and

2. my groceries are delivered. Tops uses plastic bags. Hey look, garbage bags!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

OK, it will not be enough for eradicate the plastics polluting everywhere the landscape of Thailand.

But we have to start well and this measure is going in the right direction. So I'm happy to take my reusable nylon bags and not add to the disaster.

Times are changing. We need to change, and very soon you'll have to get used to bringing your own bags, whether it's reusable fabric bags or your own plastic bags. In the mean time, perhaps Thailand should do like Hong Kong, either bring your own bag or pay extra to get a plastic one. It's only a minor adjustment to our lives and one that needs to be done. Most of the grocery stores sell the nylon/cloth bags for very little money. Buy a few, in the near future it will be how everyone brings their purchases home.

Edited by gjoo888
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Times are changing. We need to change, and very soon you'll have to get used to bringing your own bags, whether it's reusable fabric bags or your own plastic bags. In the mean time, perhaps Thailand should do like Hong Kong, either bring your own bag or pay extra to get a plastic one. It's only a minor adjustment to our lives and one that needs to be done. Most of the grocery stores sell the nylon/cloth bags for very little money. Buy a few, in the near future it will be how everyone brings their purchases home.

Yes! Paying the extra ( I think 2/3 baht ) will educate Thais and stubborn old foreigners learn what day is Tuesday super fast!  Imagine leaving your cut pastrami among other things for 6 or 7 bags x 2/3 baht!!  The gas and effort it takes to leave everything and then waste gas, time etc to go to another supermarket based on being a dink is insane. If you have a car throw 10/20 bags in it now if motor bike there are storage places too. If by backpack 4 or so plastic bags weigh nothing. Can you believe this guys son was with him! Jeez

On a side note. This guys question is not a yes/no answer. Read your question OP you are so riled up! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2