Just Say No! 2 No Bag Day! Tag it and Bag it!

4675636b596f75

Will you make a fuss over the ridiculous no bag day policy?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems that most of the expat guys here in Chiang Mai walk around in some variant of cargo shorts with a gazillion pockets.  So how difficult is it to have one of those folded up nylon bags in one of those pockets?  That's what Hubby does.  

But, it's gotten to the point that we buy small plastic bags for disposal of the cats' tuna truffles since our supply of grocery store plastic bags is now almost non-existent.  Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

It seems that most of the expat guys here in Chiang Mai walk around in some variant of cargo shorts with a gazillion pockets.  So how difficult is it to have one of those folded up nylon bags in one of those pockets?  That's what Hubby does.  

But, it's gotten to the point that we buy small plastic bags for disposal of the cats' tuna truffles since our supply of grocery store plastic bags is now almost non-existent.  Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Cellophane donut bags work. Buy more donuts!

• Haha 1

Ok I can agree plastic bags are not great for the environment (probably less worse than diapers)

BUT, Here is the thing I hate in my own country that has also adopted no plastic rules

What I hate is the stores think that is a profit boost for them.

They neither lower prices to reflect the savings of not supplying bags nor do the provide free (aka: paid for in grocery profits) alternatives

We have two major stores that smartly returned to brown paper that even has handles now & is stronger than pre-plastic days

I just think stores that want to help & reduce plastic should be implementing a swap not just ban plastic & think they have no responsibility to package their customers goods.

If not provide free paper bags, free cloth bags

None want to get to their car with various goods all loose & much worse for scooter riders

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever read such a selfish OP than this one,  so you want plastic bags to pick up your cats cr ap with ? They do sell biodegradable bags in different sizes that will fit your trash can in the kitchen or smaller ones for the dog or cat cr ap, if you can't afford to buy those perhaps you should consider getting rid of the pet because you obviously can't afford to look after an animal.

What are you gonna do come January or whenever the government decides to implement a total plastic bag ban ? eh.

Do you walk or drive to the shops ? It would be really ironic if you drove to avoid causing pollution LOL 5555

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yes ! purely from a practical point of view. 

If I had stuff that could not be reasonably carried then they would have to bag it or I would leave it. The option to buy a non-plastic bag should be and remain a choice, or preference and NOT compulsory.  (imho)

Doesn't Foodland give you a cardboard box just like Tops does on Tuesdays?

11 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I expect long lines at the cashiers because some people will need a lot of time to pack their things themselves. 

...yes the supermarkets  should prepare also from their side ! to make a place at the end of cashier , just like in my country where you can load any bag or carrier while cashier is passing it the scanner , more even our supermarkets have some big table  after the cash counter where you can load or pack what you bought in all peace

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

Stop being a whiney d1ck and take your own bags. If I owned a shop I'd kick you out every of the week, damn the loss of sales. 

As others have said, Makro don't pander to w anchors like you. No bags at all. I spend 6-10k there on a visit, I don't need or expect bags to be provided. Grow up, child. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

When I got to the checkout, I told them no bags no sale.  I told them they could put everything back on the shelves and put the cut Pastrami (my boy loves pastrami) back the way it came.  They could reverse slice it if they cared to.  I told them in no uncertain terms, that I would leave and leave all the food in the basket. 

What a very sad and irresponsible individual you are.  Many countries have done without plastic bags for many years.  Several countries in Africa have had a ban for years.

Bangladesh was the first country to ban plastic bags in 2002. China, Israel, South Africa, the Netherlands, Morocco, Kenya, Rwanda, Mauritania, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Albania and Georgia have since implemented similar bans.

Followed by New Zealand and a growing number of others.

Many of the large retailers here, including 7/11 have signed an agreement not to issue bags after January prior to a legal ban in 2021. What will you do then??

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't think I have ever read such a selfish OP than this one,  so you want plastic bags to pick up your cats cr ap with ? They do sell biodegradable bags in different sizes that will fit your trash can in the kitchen or smaller ones for the dog or cat cr ap, if you can't afford to buy those perhaps you should consider getting rid of the pet because you obviously can't afford to look after an animal.

What are you gonna do come January or whenever the government decides to implement a total plastic bag ban ? eh.

Do you walk or drive to the shops ? It would be really ironic if you drove to avoid causing pollution LOL 5555

I own one of the few Left Hand Drive Cadillac Seville's and without specifically dating my boat, it is from the 80's.  It sports an 8 Cylinder Detroit Engine with a cubic inch displacement that would make John Holmes jealous. 

It has been known to attract attention where we go.  And for a boat from the 80's, it gets fantastic mileage too!

What I do not understand, is how so many of the social justice warriors we have posting here on TV.  Everyone seems to forget that I get a dual use from my bags.  I love my plastic bags!  I collect them!  Double bag is my motto.  

I am a double-bagger!  

I am curious, how would you have me dispose of my cat crapola?

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

I expect long lines at the cashiers because some people will need a lot of time to pack their things themselves. 

You don't have to look far, just visit Tops in Central Lad Prao on any no bag day and you will see a disaster.  It takes 3 times the normal process to deal with no bags.  

It's a very bad idea all around.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

I don't own a single pair of cargo pants.  I have an issue with the excessive amount of cloth used to make one of these anti-societal and wasteful pants.  

When you buy your small bags for the cat's truffles, do you put them in a bag at checkout, or do you open them and stuff them into one of the truffle bags? 

Perhaps you stuff them into the cargo shorts!  Don't you know, that some poor woman in China slaved to knit those shorts for you and she was probably paid very little and lucky if she can afford cat food to eat.  

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Like you are a fellow Yank and all that, but our position on this earth, ie representing the greatest, freest, richest and most powerful nation that ever existed, the beacon of hope in an otherwise crappy world, give us Americans the heavy responsibility of not acting like dicks in foreign countries where we are permitted to come and go as we please as guests.

What a load of -- !!!

On 11/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

FoodLand and all other stupidmarkets should be sued for any injuries due to not being able to control one's own groceries!

Who said it´s their object to control your groceries? Shame on you! 

Grow up and take respoinsibility! We must all help to build up our enviroment. That means you have to do your part too.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

It takes 3 times the normal process to deal with no bags.  

It's a very bad idea all around.

I don't see any reason why packing the groceries into baskets, boxes or reusable bags should take any longer. With practice, this can be done quickly. I packed my own resuable bag today at Big C. No extra time needed. 

28 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Agreed!  I like to put my <deleted> in plastic bags.  I especially like to fill plastic bags with cat dookies.  No one has yet to suggest a better idea.

Biodegradable bags, available at a supermarket near you, the rest of what I think cannot be posted..............

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

at Villa Market I tell the super beautiful check out checker person to put everything back in the cart.

Yep. Easy solution. We actually have a shopping bag but I always forget to bring it from the car. They just put everything back in the cart and good to go.

I am willing to guess that a hell of a lot of people use Big C or Tesco bags as bin liners at home.

If they stop providing bags then likely people will be obliged to buy black bin liners so in reality the bag ban is unlikely to be as green as planned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I own one of the few Left Hand Drive Cadillac Seville's and without specifically dating my boat, it is from the 80's.  It sports an 8 Cylinder Detroit Engine with a cubic inch displacement that would make John Holmes jealous. 

It has been known to attract attention where we go.  And for a boat from the 80's, it gets fantastic mileage too!

What I do not understand, is how so many of the social justice warriors we have posting here on TV.  Everyone seems to forget that I get a dual use from my bags.  I love my plastic bags!  I collect them!  Double bag is my motto.  

I am a double-bagger!  

I am curious, how would you have me dispose of my cat crapola?

Shoot the cat?

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

Yes, let's do something.  Anything.  Just do it.  

I do something, I collect as many bags as I can.

IMG_20191113_202815.jpg

So  you stash the  bags  but   can't  be  bothered  to  shove a  couple in   your   back pocket  to  use  next  time? Convenience  rules?  <deleted> !

• Like 1

• New York state lawmakers have approved a state-wide plastic bag ban, which will go into effect in March 2020.
  • Similar bans are already in effect in California, Hawaii, and more than 32 countries. Some places tax plastic bags in lieu of a ban.
  • Shoppers use 500 billion single-use plastic bags worldwide every year.
  • These bags typically end up in landfills or the ocean. More than 100,000 marine mammals get entangled in plastic bags and die annually.
  • Other cities and companies have also banned single-use plastic straws.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the New York legislature have approved a new fiscal budget that includes a state-wide ban on single-use plastic bags.

When the ban goes into effect on March 1, 2020, New York will become one of three US states that doesn’t allow these bags. (The others are California and Hawaii.)

“The convenience of plastic bags is simply not worth the environmental impact,” New York State Assembly speaker Carl Heastie told the Associated Press. “By reducing our state’s usage, we will see less litter in our communities and less plastic pollution in our waterways.”

You can get jail time in some countries for using plastic.

Some 127 countries have some form of legalising the control of plastic.

Tens of thousands of marine life die annually from ingesting plastic.

Plastic has already entered OUR food chain.

Plastic can be found in human excrement.

When I was a kid, people managed fine without plastic.

Many countries that have banned plastic manage fine and their environment has improved.

Look at Rwanda and the difference it's made to their lives.

There are no valid excuses.

Edited by HHTel
spelling
  • Like 1