Just Say No! 2 No Bag Day! Tag it and Bag it!

4675636b596f75

Will you make a fuss over the ridiculous no bag day policy?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am always amused to watch dog owners in America following their poopy pooches with a plastic bag over their hand, waiting for the little Rover to drop a dookie. 

When little Fido dookies in the park, the owner will pickup the poop and deposit it in the trash.  He doesn't take it to the ocean, or drop it in the street.  He takes care of it properly.

Here in Thailand the Thais could give a *$&$&%$& about where the bag goes.  They dump oil into the sewers, litter their country like pigs and then everyone laments that some sea animal buys it due to getting strangled. 

Blame the bag.  It's the bag.  Same stupid logic as blame the gun, or the knife.  

So let's ban dog dookies or dogs, or bags or anything else that matters not.  

But the last thing you want to blame is the litterer.

Make everyone else the crook in this equation.  Don't make the people who litter responsible for their littering, just ban the bag so they can't litter anymore.

To hell with the rest of us who find utility in something as simple as a plastic bag.

And all you do gooders out there, you social justice warriors, do nothing but enable the lawbreaking litterers.

Great plan.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

No one blames , bags, guns, or knives. what people blame is the misuse of the above. 

You are as wrong as you can be.  Banning the bag instead of the litterer is just that.  It's stupid and senseless.

10 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I own one of the few Left Hand Drive Cadillac Seville's and without specifically dating my boat, it is from the 80's.  It sports an 8 Cylinder Detroit Engine with a cubic inch displacement that would make John Holmes jealous. 

It has been known to attract attention where we go.  And for a boat from the 80's, it gets fantastic mileage too!

What I do not understand, is how so many of the social justice warriors we have posting here on TV.  Everyone seems to forget that I get a dual use from my bags.  I love my plastic bags!  I collect them!  Double bag is my motto.  

I am a double-bagger!  

I am curious, how would you have me dispose of my cat crapola?

Down the toilet? Duh!

17 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Down the toilet? Duh!

Are you serious?  The toilets here can barely handle human waste.  I cringe at the thought of attempting to dispose of clumps of hardened kitty litter (cat urine) or clay-covered cat feces down the toilet in our condo.  We'd be quite the talk of the building staff when the handyman came to unplug the toilet and reported back to them what happened.

We didn't even flush kitty litter in the U.S. when we lived on a farm with a barely functioning septic system.  All it took was several days of heavy rain during the spring snow melt for the septic system to back up into our bathtub.  We didn't want to overload it with used kitty litter.

54 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Down the toilet? Duh!

I have to come out on the side of not putting kitty poo in the toilet.  While dog poo is fine to put in the toilet, cat poo isn't.

Studies are showing that toxoplasmosis, a parasite found in cat feces, has infected marine mammals and otters. ... Toxoplasmosis can cause brain damage and death in sea otters. Most (if not all) litter manufacturers warn on their packaging not to flush feces or litter down the toilet, and that is the reason

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

If you really had looked, you wouldn't be making such stupid comments.

Some people will never learn and remain 'uneducated'.

If you read the OP's signature tag it reinforces your comment about being uneducated.

• Haha 1

How hard is it to buy and bring re useable bags shopping.

i always bring a few from Australia when I go home.

much easier to pack at the counter.

im certainly no greenie but feel better for my use of cloth bags.

and as for your cat <deleted> you can for a small price buy some small bags.

Here's some background on why I am cynical about such things as no plastic bag days in the bigger perspective. It's not that such measures are wrong per se, just that they're ridiculously SMALL compared to the actual problem. So making a big show about doing these small things seems to me to be a kind of theater rather than anything very real. Similar to airport security bothering people with water bottles -- more about security theater than anything else.

Consider this article. While it's probably rational to consider this position as on the high extreme of alarmist look at the other side, total denial. So I reckon the extreme alarmist view is closer to reality than total denial. So split the difference and consider it may be somewhat in the middle of those views, which is actually probably a conservative estimation. So if that's the case, no plastic bag days or no plastic bag years accomplish what exactly? Again I'm not saying don't do it but I can't imagine that will even begin to cut it in the long run.

So what will cut it? Well I don't think people's voluntary actions. It would have to be from massive top down pressure touching on all aspects of living with severe consequences for non-compliance. GLOBALLY. Yes, generally people don't have an appetite for that, understandably so. So my cynicism about this goes even deeper. 

The Collapse of Civilization May Have Already Begun

“It is now too late to stop a future collapse of our societies because of climate change.”

These are not the words of a tinfoil hat-donning survivalist. This is from a paper delivered by a senior sustainability academic at a leading business school to the European Commission in Brussels, earlier this year.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwygg/the-collapse-of-civilization-may-have-already-begun

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not that such measures are wrong per se, just that they're ridiculously SMALL compared to the actual problem.

I agree.  However, I think the main point of this action is to raise awareness by the public and beyond.  Otherwise nothing gets done and life continues unaware of the dangers of pollution.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:29 AM, HHTel said:

What a very sad and irresponsible individual you are.  Many countries have done without plastic bags for many years.  Several countries in Africa have had a ban for years.

Followed by New Zealand and a growing number of others.

Many of the large retailers here, including 7/11 have signed an agreement not to issue bags after January prior to a legal ban in 2021. What will you do then??

You should be ashamed of yourself.

No. The manufacturers should be ashamed.

21 hours ago, HHTel said:

You can get jail time in some countries for using plastic.

Some 127 countries have some form of legalising the control of plastic.

Tens of thousands of marine life die annually from ingesting plastic.

Plastic has already entered OUR food chain.

Plastic can be found in human excrement.

When I was a kid, people managed fine without plastic.

Many countries that have banned plastic manage fine and their environment has improved.

Look at Rwanda and the difference it's made to their lives.

There are no valid excuses.

Rwanda! Yeah right!  555

Plastic bags were introduced to protect the environment cutting down on tree based paper bags. I remember as a kid everyone took shopping bags before plastic bags were introduced and they were and are a great blessing which have a multiplicity of uses. The idiocy of shaming people for using plastic bags is playing into the hands of the  manufacturers who neatly avoid responsibility while continuing to make profits. Loads of environmental directives are nonsense. The biggest con trick is recycling at home! Total waste of time to keep idiots busy.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Rwanda! Yeah right!  555

You obviously know NOTHING about Rwanda and it's success in tourism, jobs and a healthy GDP.  I wonder why the rest of the world is looking at Rwanda for guidance in their own plastic waste control. 

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

You obviously know NOTHING about Rwanda and it's success in tourism, jobs and a healthy GDP.  I wonder why the rest of the world is looking at Rwanda for guidance in their own plastic waste control. 

Rawanda and The Democratic Congo and Nigeria and Somalia..The west is rushing to emulate them and falling over themselves to book holidays there. Are you a missionary there?

On 11/21/2019 at 9:04 PM, david555 said:

This 3bb bags are handy ...would also go for medium shopping folded 19cm x 14 cm…..open 36 x40 x 12 cm 

And for those with big pickups ….I don't see a reason they can not walk up with shoppers to their car and fill one of those plastic crates in the boot...

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

I use these type bags all the time.........not sure why everyone else cant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Plastic bags were introduced to protect the environment cutting down on tree based paper bags. I remember as a kid everyone took shopping bags before plastic bags were introduced and they were and are a great blessing which have a multiplicity of uses. The idiocy of shaming people for using plastic bags is playing into the hands of the  manufacturers who neatly avoid responsibility while continuing to make profits. Loads of environmental directives are nonsense. The biggest con trick is recycling at home! Total waste of time to keep idiots busy.

Used to be in Canada they would ask "Paper or Plastic?" at the grocery

If you were "woke", (before it was a thing) you correctly said Plastic, to help the environment, safe in the knowledge that you were "saving" a tree from being cut down

At the time I would ask for paper, saying that it would biodegrade and the plastic would not,

Politically incorrect would say the smart people, plastic will help save the trees.

You want to cut down on plastic waste go after the number one problem.

Soft drink bottlers are the leading cause of plastic waste, number one on the hit parade CocaCola.

Not giving out bags in a grocery store that just about everyone dual uses is very visible and very useless.

Edit: I bring a reusable cloth bag when I shop, have for decades

Edited by kwonitoy
add