BANGKOK
4675636b596f75

Just Say No! 2 No Bag Day! Tag it and Bag it!

Will you make a fuss over the ridiculous no bag day policy?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Times are changing. We need to change, and very soon you'll have to get used to bringing your own bags, whether it's reusable fabric bags or your own plastic bags. In the mean time, perhaps Thailand should do like Hong Kong, either bring your own bag or pay extra to get a plastic one. It's only a minor adjustment to our lives and one that needs to be done. Most of the grocery stores sell the nylon/cloth bags for very little money. Buy a few, in the near future it will be how everyone brings their purchases home.

Yes! Paying the extra ( I think 2/3 baht ) will educate Thais and stubborn old foreigners learn what day is Tuesday super fast!  Imagine leaving your cut pastrami among other things for 6 or 7 bags x 2/3 baht!!  The gas and effort it takes to leave everything and then waste gas, time etc to go to another supermarket based on being a dink is insane. If you have a car throw 10/20 bags in it now if motor bike there are storage places too. If by backpack 4 or so plastic bags weigh nothing. Can you believe this guys son was with him! Jeez

On a side note. This guys question is not a yes/no answer. Read your question OP you are so riled up! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

It seems that most of the expat guys here in Chiang Mai walk around in some variant of cargo shorts with a gazillion pockets.  So how difficult is it to have one of those folded up nylon bags in one of those pockets?  That's what Hubby does.  

But, it's gotten to the point that we buy small plastic bags for disposal of the cats' tuna truffles since our supply of grocery store plastic bags is now almost non-existent.  Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Petulant foreigner at their worst. Good grief, Thailand is swimming in plastic and the stores that try to do something about it should be applauded.

Be prepared and carry some bags in the car or suffer. Foot stamping is not a good example to create.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

It seems that most of the expat guys here in Chiang Mai walk around in some variant of cargo shorts with a gazillion pockets.  So how difficult is it to have one of those folded up nylon bags in one of those pockets?  That's what Hubby does.  

But, it's gotten to the point that we buy small plastic bags for disposal of the cats' tuna truffles since our supply of grocery store plastic bags is now almost non-existent.  Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Cellophane donut bags work. Buy more donuts!

• Haha 1

Ok I can agree plastic bags are not great for the environment (probably less worse than diapers)

BUT, Here is the thing I hate in my own country that has also adopted no plastic rules

What I hate is the stores think that is a profit boost for them.

They neither lower prices to reflect the savings of not supplying bags nor do the provide free (aka: paid for in grocery profits) alternatives

We have two major stores that smartly returned to brown paper that even has handles now & is stronger than pre-plastic days

I just think stores that want to help & reduce plastic should be implementing a swap not just ban plastic & think they have no responsibility to package their customers goods.

If not provide free paper bags, free cloth bags

None want to get to their car with various goods all loose & much worse for scooter riders

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever read such a selfish OP than this one,  so you want plastic bags to pick up your cats cr ap with ? They do sell biodegradable bags in different sizes that will fit your trash can in the kitchen or smaller ones for the dog or cat cr ap, if you can't afford to buy those perhaps you should consider getting rid of the pet because you obviously can't afford to look after an animal.

What are you gonna do come January or whenever the government decides to implement a total plastic bag ban ? eh.

Do you walk or drive to the shops ? It would be really ironic if you drove to avoid causing pollution LOL 5555

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yes ! purely from a practical point of view. 

If I had stuff that could not be reasonably carried then they would have to bag it or I would leave it. The option to buy a non-plastic bag should be and remain a choice, or preference and NOT compulsory.  (imho)

Doesn't Foodland give you a cardboard box just like Tops does on Tuesdays?

I expect long lines at the cashiers because some people will need a lot of time to pack their things themselves. 

11 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I expect long lines at the cashiers because some people will need a lot of time to pack their things themselves. 

...yes the supermarkets  should prepare also from their side ! to make a place at the end of cashier , just like in my country where you can load any bag or carrier while cashier is passing it the scanner , more even our supermarkets have some big table  after the cash counter where you can load or pack what you bought in all peace

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

Stop being a whiney d1ck and take your own bags. If I owned a shop I'd kick you out every of the week, damn the loss of sales. 

As others have said, Makro don't pander to w anchors like you. No bags at all. I spend 6-10k there on a visit, I don't need or expect bags to be provided. Grow up, child. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't think I have ever read such a selfish OP than this one,  so you want plastic bags to pick up your cats cr ap with ? They do sell biodegradable bags in different sizes that will fit your trash can in the kitchen or smaller ones for the dog or cat cr ap, if you can't afford to buy those perhaps you should consider getting rid of the pet because you obviously can't afford to look after an animal.

What are you gonna do come January or whenever the government decides to implement a total plastic bag ban ? eh.

Do you walk or drive to the shops ? It would be really ironic if you drove to avoid causing pollution LOL 5555

I own one of the few Left Hand Drive Cadillac Seville's and without specifically dating my boat, it is from the 80's.  It sports an 8 Cylinder Detroit Engine with a cubic inch displacement that would make John Holmes jealous. 

It has been known to attract attention where we go.  And for a boat from the 80's, it gets fantastic mileage too!

What I do not understand, is how so many of the social justice warriors we have posting here on TV.  Everyone seems to forget that I get a dual use from my bags.  I love my plastic bags!  I collect them!  Double bag is my motto.  

I am a double-bagger!  

I am curious, how would you have me dispose of my cat crapola?

5 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

What I do not understand, is how so many of the social justice warriors we have posting here on TV. 

Yeah thats me 🙄

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm not.  You can bear the shame for me, if you wish.

• Like 1