Prepaid SIM balance disappearing

Patanawet

I have had my AIS prepaid number for years.

For a few months now, as soon as I top up, the balance reduces to a minus within a few hours.

I see messages which I do not respond to and block from numbers like 4542921, 4556074 etc. They ask me to click a link which I don't do.

I went to Silom Complex Telewiz shop and spent 20 minutes with the assistant ending up saying 'I cannot check from here, please go to an AIS shop in Paragon where they have 'bigger computers'.

I have A Mao Mao package which I don't dare to top up for until it expires each month and hope that AIS uses it before the pirates do.

Does anyone else have this problem?

20 min at telewiz without a conclusion? Poor.

You receive messages? SMS?

Could be (accidental) subscription to some "services".

Can you give more detail about these messages.

Such services can easily be stopped.

Second balance eater is internet of course.

Is the mobile data switched on at your phone?

Do you have a subscription for an internet package?

Yes/No: switch off mobile data otherwise eats one Baht per minute.

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

AIS is owned by Taksin Shinawat, he has to finance his exile somehow.

If you cannot get ahold of Taksin, you might ask AIS to block the spam messages you are no doubt being charged for.

Why you post such nonsense?

Founded but long gone and sold (2006).

Yes

Same happens with me.

Countless phone calls and visits to AIS shop have failed to solve the problem.

Last time I visited an AIS shop the so called assistant just laughed.

Plenty of robbery here.

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

I have had my AIS prepaid number for years.

don't go into shops. call 1175 and hit 2 for English and talk to a human. they speak perfect English.

tell them what the problem is and you want your money back. ask for all unwanted SPAM SMS to stop also ask for all texts from AIS to be in English. 

I don't know about AIS, but last time (only time) I had a problem with some unwanted spam messages I was going to a DTAC Shop in a shopping mall, told them my problem, showed them the message and they even refunded me the money which was already deducted (as I remember correct not the whole amount, but at least 50%). And they stopped this service to deduct any more money.

Never had a problem again. 

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

On the left, open "Service".

Scroll down and click on "SMS Preference / Cancellation" and check whether you have "SMS subscriptions with fee".

I don't :smile:

i want to be cool like you but i don't see Service on the left.

For the oldies....

AIS:

Tap in *137 and the the call button. For AIS choose options 1, 2 & 3. Redial each time if necessary.

DTAC the SAME, though just 1 & 2.

Truemove H; Just 3.

For all options, it is actually number 2 that cancels the paid for subscriptions. The others cancel advertising etc.

15 hours ago, seasia said:

Yes

Same happens with me.

Plenty of robbery here.

Any shop could have solved the issue for you. But only the call centre/service centre can arrange a refund. 

Some time ago I noticed that the credit on my mobile DTAC prepaid was slowly going down (approx 10 bath per day) even when I did not use the phone.

I am on a DTAC subscription for unlimited data (as I use my mobile as hub to access the web on my laptop).  So my credit is only affected when I make regular phonecalls or send SMS, which I very seldom do.  That's why I noticed that my credit was eaten slowly by these unwanted SMS's. 

Looking for the possible cause I searched the ThaiVisa forum and learned that this is due to a well known SMS scam.

When you receive an SMS about games, gambling or sexy pics, you are most probably being charged for receiving it, regardless if you open it or not.

And there is only one way to get rid of it, and that's to contact your provider and ask them to block these unwanted messages at the source.

It's not sufficient to block the sender of the SMS's (my credit kept going down even after having blocked the sender and not receiving any messages anymore).

Also using the *137 spam SMS-blocker does not seem to work anymore.

< Procedure consisted of dialing *137 and then a lady in Thai will say press 1 and to hang up.  Then dial again *137 but this time press 2.  Hang up and you will receive an SMS in Thai which says that unwanted SMS's are now blocked >

Even after getting the message, my credit kept going down.

So it seems there is only one way to get rid of it, and that's to contact your provider and ask them to block these unwanted messages at the source.

I did contact dtac (through a phone shop as I do not speak thai) and they were well aware of the scam and blocked it.

It's useful to check from time to time if your credit disappears without using the phone, as there are some

posts indicating that the scam might return even after your provider blocked it.

Thanks all so much everyone. Many things to try. 

I Was thinking that I was the only person suffering.

I was indeed getting SMSs from numbers such  4542921, 4556074 asking me to open URLs like 'http://goo '...... etc which I never opened.

One poster express admiration for khunBENQ ---- I too wish I was so knowledgeable.

I'll report back on any success or failure.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, NCC1701A said:

don't go into shops. call 1175 and hit 2 for English and talk to a human. they speak perfect English.

tell them what the problem is and you want your money back. ask for all unwanted SPAM SMS to stop also ask for all texts from AIS to be in English. 

SMS to English by AIS *700*9*7*2#

No commercial SMS (unless AIS , can not block) *137

Same happen to me ,I have a very old MaoMao package even before coming Thailand I bought on internet from AIS , 1x 100 baht loading is good for 1 year sim stay alive ...

But when I load the money disappear in batches , so in 1 month all gone even no calling out…, went few times to a AIS center , they checked and said O.K. now …… no way it stay same ...

My solution 

1) load 100 and get 1 year access  and load a internet package before the deduction start .

Or 

2) I just don't care and use that number (my official one ) just only for receiving and for calling my second duo sim number that has not that problem , all credit on that one is correct deducted by calling , number one I never use for out calling only for receiving 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:54 PM, seasia said:

Yes

Same happens with me.

Plenty of robbery here.

AIS refunded scam advertising 10 bahts that were going through daily. Phone customer service

3 hours ago, trevor67 said:

My AIS does not look like that....at least on my phone?

I checked the "myAIS" app on the phone and seems they don't have this as a feature.

Instead under a help topic you find the "oldie" method as explained in post #15 :smile::

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1135154-prepaid-sim-balance-disappearing/?do=findComment&comment=14789961

Archived