Second consecutive setv - a problem at BKK?

Hello, maybe I am just being paranoid, but I am wondering if I am likely to be denied entry at BKK airport after I go on a border run to Vietnam for three weeks, and get a new SETV. This will only be my second SETV. Prior to this I only have one visa stamp from a year and a half earlier. It seems people only have problems after they've already had at least 2 tourist visas before, and then they have trouble on the third, or forth, etc. After this I will be 50 and can apply for the non-O. 

• Like 1

Very likely no problems but nowadays you really cannot be so sure like 2-3 years ago. The changing rules for retirees might be the real cause of concern instead in the future..

Just make sure you have that 20 000 baht in cash at least. 

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Very likely no problems but nowadays you really cannot be so sure like 2-3 years ago. The changing rules for retirees might be the real cause of concern instead in the future..

Just make sure you have that 20 000 baht in cash at least. 

I will definitely take 20k baht. So far, researching this forum, I haven't found anyone with an equivalent visa history as mine, who has been denied entry at BKK, but maybe I haven't noticed it yet. 

You do not say whether your first entry on the tourist visa was extended. If not, I would be astonished if you have a problem. If you stayed almost 90 days on the first SETV, I will still be surprised if you are denied entry, returning from Vietnam, or even questioned, but you never know. Please do let us know if tit turns out that he unofficial rules are becoming even more strict.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You do not say whether your first entry on the tourist visa was extended. If not, I would be astonished if you have a problem. If you stayed almost 90 days on the first SETV, I will still be surprised if you are denied entry, returning from Vietnam, or even questioned, but you never know. Please do let us know if tit turns out that he unofficial rules are becoming even more strict.

Yes, first entry on SETV was extended. Original tourist stamp a year and a half earlier was not extended. So 90 days on that first SETV. Just in case, I plan on bringing the 20k baht with me, copy of onward travel (a cheap ticket back to Vietnam within the period of new visa), a copy of hotel  reservation (rather than using my long-term condo lease as proof of accommodation, I just booked a very cheap hotel or hostel room for one night on the day I get back to Thailand--I figured if questioned by immigration at BKK a year lease might look bad).  I will certainly report back if I have problems. 

The hotel room is only for one night and 150 baht (obviously I don't plan to actually use it). Will that look suspicious to an I/O if I am questioned? Like a "throw-away" room?

Just trying to prepare for worst-case scenario. 

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Like 2

I assume entering back into Thailand after my 3 week stay in Vietnam on a tourist stamp rather than another SETV would be a safer bet? Because I could probably make that work as far as my eventual non-O application and bank seasoning is concerned. I turn 50 on January 13.  

Avoid Lady IO’s, but who the hell knows anymore ,I went to Laos for wedding for 3 days came back flew to Philippines for one month and I got bloody grief from lady IO, had to retrieve gf and she told her we marry soon, they let me in, Lao trip was land border , Phil return Suvarnabhumi 

Edited by Ireland32

I got into Phuket Tues evening (Off Etihad flght x AUD) New passport issued last year used a year ago to Thailand on that trip was on a SETV this time am just here 30 days, no prior issues at all in my old passport /visits to LOS;

At Immigration desk lady officer goes through PP then asks why I here? - Hoiliday, Why you no have VISA? I no need one this time, How long you stay? 30 days... Then she wanted proof of my return flght, I showed her my Itinary which I had in my backpack (Im thinking what a crock of $ hite) Totally have never been in any way dodgy in/out always correct docs, felt like she wanted to get something on me, and the hall was hammered with people felt like she reluctantly had to stamp me through... Really? This place does not deserve legal paying people who contribute to the local ecomony are they really that dum???

• Like 2

General rule of thumb to keep in mind is if you've been in Thailand for more than 180 days this year, then you're playing with fire!  That is the group of people that are being targeted. Otherwise, don't worry about being denied entry. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:33 PM, Tayaout said:

You should pay the extra for Vietnam multi-entry visa if you need one. If you are denied then you won't be bounced back from Vietnam to your home country. 

Could a multi-entry visa be applied for on arrival back at Vietnam airport if things came to that? Not clear on how that would work if someone got sent back to Vietnam who had a single entry visa for a month.

11 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Could a multi-entry visa be applied for on arrival back at Vietnam airport if things came to that? Not clear on how that would work if someone got sent back to Vietnam who had a single entry visa for a month.

I'm not a Vietnam visa expert but I read that a Canadian was sent back to Canada from Vietnam after a denied entry to Thailand. A Vietnam multi entry probably solve this issue but some nationality can have visa exempt (USA, UK?,...) so they don't have this problem. 

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was due to him not having a e visa or a letter for a visa on arrival.

More info is here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

Yes, I'm Canadian and need 2-3 days to get this letter. So if denied and sent to Vietnam then it becomes a problem if I only bought a single entry. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Yes, I'm Canadian and need 2-3 days to get this letter. So if denied and sent to Vietnam then it becomes a problem if I only bought a single entry. 

A post some months back from UK guy. He was denied entry at DM (had long history stays in los) was returned to Saigon. There he was denied entry even though he is UK. 

He was then made to fly to UK.

BTW you can get online pay express service and obtain "letter of approval" in under 4 hours. I fly Saigon every month and helped couple of folk with this. One USA guy just arrived Saigon without letter. Don't know how he go on his inbound flight.

Edited by DrJack54

On 11/24/2019 at 7:24 AM, DrJack54 said:

A post some months back from UK guy. He was denied entry at DM (had long history stays in los) was returned to Saigon. There he was denied entry even though he is UK. 

He was then made to fly to UK.

BTW you can get online pay express service and obtain "letter of approval" in under 4 hours. I fly Saigon every month and helped couple of folk with this. One USA guy just arrived Saigon without letter. Don't know how he go on his inbound flight.

UK people should be visa exempt so that is very strange. I'm American. I was thinking of just applying for another throw-away e-visa online that begins in Vietnam the day of my departure back to BKK. That way if I'm turned back I'll have a visa for Vietnam.  Only costs $25. Seems like a good insurance policy if you're American, not visa exempt in Vietnam, and could be facing a very expensive deportation back to the US. Maybe paranoid under the circumstances, buy hey, it's cheap. Americans on similar border runs to Vietnam might want to pony up the extra $25 for a multi-entry visa just in case, especially if they have a history.