English speaking pharmacy

mrblonde

As above please people, am staying on Soi Diana and feeling rough, have popped into a couple to get something but very limited English speaking, combined with my non-existent Thai, means im struggling loads. 

Any recommendations for an English speaking pharmacy in town? And where is it near please?

You are not far from Pattaya City Hospital on Soi Bukhaow. There are English speaking doctors who could diagnose what you have and prescribe meds accordingly. It is a state hospital so not overly expensive. You may have to wait around a while.

Thanks champers, have never visited a hospital out here and had images of going in for a simple chest infection (what it feels like) and coming out several million baht worse off and with a leg missing

think I just need some antibiotics, but didn’t want a £100 or £200 bill for the privilege 

Believe it or not it's a requirement that all doctors and pharmacists in Thailand pass an English proficiency test before graduating! Make sure the person serving you is a pharmacist, often in smaller pharmacies the pharmacist only visits from time to time.

3 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks champers, have never visited a hospital out here and had images of going in for a simple chest infection (what it feels like) and coming out several million baht worse off and with a leg missing

think I just need some antibiotics, but didn’t want a £100 or £200 bill for the privilege 

Hospitals are cheap and efficient here. There is one one or two near/on Soi Buakhao,  and off 2nd Rd but I go to BPH on Sukhumvit. Irrespective of language issues..ALWAYS go to a proper hospital NEVER rely on pharmacists.

5 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Hospitals are cheap and efficient here. There is one one or two near/on Soi Buakhao,  and off 2nd Rd but I go to BPH on Sukhumvit. Irrespective of language issues..ALWAYS go to a proper hospital NEVER rely on pharmacists.

What do they charge for a doctor to prescribe meds for eg.Op case

12 minutes ago, Olmate said:

BPH ? Are you sure.

Got meds from CM RAM Hospital three months ago, doctors charge was 500 baht.

Got meds from Bangkok Hospital CM last month, 450 baht.

Private doctor/clinic, doctors fee 300 baht.

BUT doctors fee does not include the hospital charge nor the cost of the meds.

4 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Who diagnosed this? Anyhow, yes these can be bought over the counter.... 

Big Fascino opposite Tesco on Nua, One on Klang  near soi 16. Perhaps visit one of the Malls Pharmacies, where English is better spoken, there are even 'Boots' shops. 

The best strategy is to visit the hospital for a consultation, refuse the meds but note their names and then buy them at a pharmacy on the street, that's what most would do. A private hospital will add an O/P charge of 60 baht, their cost overhead, perhaps 200 baht or so, plus the cost of tests (varies) but their real profit comes from meds. meds can easily be marked up by 500%. So doctors charges are reasonable, med costs at hospitals are not. FWIW I had a chest xray at CM RAM (a BPH lookalike) recently and it cost 500 baht, just to give you an idea. 

Beware, when you check out at the cashier you will have to pay the bill before collecting your meds, ask to see the bill details first and note the meds at that point, before you refuse them and have the bill adjusted.

Every pharmacy I have been to in Thailand, even in the sticks, knows EXACTLY what I am looking for. Every prescription medication box I have seen has the name of the meds in English. Med names are in English all over the world.

If you do desire to self diagnose, which is stupid but hey I do it all the time, Google for your selected med and walk in and say "Amoxill" or "Crestor" or "Losartan"...remember your pronunciation rules of tones and elongated vowels. Even easier, show them a pic of the med on your phone or put the name of the med in google translate and let it speak. 

Let me know if I can give you any more basic life advice.

6 hours ago, mrblonde said:

I have got medical insurance, for our holiday.

I’ve got a sore a sore throat or chest infection, my leg isn’t hanging off so wasn’t planning on submitting a claim just for some antibiotics or 2 bottles of cough medicine. 

Pharmacists here operate as an inexpensive alternative to doctors and hospitals, most locals will consult with a pharmacist before spending money on a doctor or hospital. As long as you find one who is actually a pharmacist and has a good command of English, it's a viable option. 

Have lived in Pattaya for many years . Also travelled Thailand for years. Yet to find a Pharmacist that could not speak  English

Do you have a strong accent?

If you go up Soi Diana -turn left at Soi Bua Khao -then Soi Bua Khao  clinic is on your right.

Not expensive !

23 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

If you do desire to self diagnose, which is stupid but hey I do it all the time, Google for your selected med and walk in and say "Amoxill" or "Crestor" or "Losartan"...remember your pronunciation rules of tones and elongated vowels

I would write it down... they can all read English script. Obviously write the component as the Western Brand name might not be known, as in amoxicillin. Which I suspect is what the guy wants. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:06 AM, saengd said:

Believe it or not it's a requirement that all doctors and pharmacists in Thailand pass an English proficiency test before graduating! Make sure the person serving you is a pharmacist, often in smaller pharmacies the pharmacist only visits from time to time.

Basically, a real Thai pharmacist with a university degree uses Google translate.
Better not to ask where 'pharmacists' who speak English have learned it.

13 hours ago, richsilver said:

I have been coming to Thailand since 1992 and have been to many, many pharmacies over the years.  I have never found one where they could not speak English.  Anywhere!

Well it is quite likely if the Pharmacist is out and has left a young assistant in charge. That happens out of town a bit.

Archived