Unexpected result at CM immigration on Wednesday. Need help.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is nonsense and false info. I think you need to go back an try to talk to a different officer.

You can use the income option to apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. You should only need one or 2 months of transfer into a Thai bank from abroad.

I am sure you will need a statement form the bank showing the transfers came from abroad. They may also want a letter from the bank detailing your transfers such as this one. Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

If all else fails you may have to go out for a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

Theoretically I'm sure you are right but on the ground different rules apply to these people. At Jomtien i couldn't get a non Imm O using monthly transfers. Insistent 800k was required. Was boss lady lying? Probably, but what can you do

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Theoretically I'm sure you are right but on the ground different rules apply to these people. At Jomtien i couldn't get a non Imm O using monthly transfers. Insistent 800k was required. Was boss lady lying? Probably, but what can you do

The real question is, what did you do?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoBoTheClown said:

I think you are very confused. People are using the 65,000 baht method everyday at the CM immigration office. 

true--i have friends who have used it and I have used it myself.  however, i think because you only had 2-3 months of the 65,000 shown, they would not accept it.  I think now that all the leniency is over and you need to show a full 12 months previous of at least the 65,000 deposited as it required and accepted.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is nonsense and false info. I think you need to go back an try to talk to a different officer.

You can use the income option to apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. You should only need one or 2 months of transfer into a Thai bank from abroad.

I am sure you will need a statement form the bank showing the transfers came from abroad. They may also want a letter from the bank detailing your transfers such as this one. Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

If all else fails you may have to go out for a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

That's what I thought, Joe. But what I said is what he said. He seems like he is the senior man at the front desk. I have seen him there for years. Through this process I have checked in with ThaiVisa to get advice. I believe you have helped me through your advice. When he denied me my first thought was that he was wrong. Could this be a very recent change? And I am one of the very early cases?

11 minutes ago, BizMarkDee said:

Could this be a very recent change? And I am one of the very early cases?

The police order allowing for monthly transfers was issued in December of last year. So certainly not new.

I think you need to try again. Just go in with a completed TM87 form and proof of your transfers into the country.

3 hours ago, deej said:

The Colonel (directly opposite the  Cmai Immgr Dept)

Ask for Cindy. who i am sure will lay your cards on the table with intergrity.

Fees approx in line with other Visa Agencys in Cmai

but has Ample free customer parking on their door step .and a short stroll to the Immgr Dept

Very best of luck

Right after CM Immigration I actually went to The Colonel for advice. The lady I talked to agreed with the officer. Seriously. I would not go to The Colonel. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks. Joe, I want to get a Non-Immigrant O entry in Vietnam. I went on their website and saw that they offered Non-Immigrant O but I didn't see Non-Immigrant O for retirement. Maybe I missed it. Are you sure I can do that in particular at Ho Chi Minh where I plan to apply? (FYI. HCM in Vietnam is cheaper to get to by plane than Vientiane in Laos. And Vientiane is so busy that it requires getting registered and getting an appointment sometimes as much as 2 weeks in advance. That's why I am picking HCM.) If I can do this this will solve my problem. Thanks again.  

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I totally agree. I am going to try the work around of going to Vietnam and applying there. I just need a way to proceed. 

44 minutes ago, BizMarkDee said:

Thanks. Joe, I want to get a Non-Immigrant O entry in Vietnam. I went on their website and saw that they offered Non-Immigrant O but I didn't see Non-Immigrant O for retirement. Maybe I missed it. Are you sure I can do that in particular at Ho Chi Minh where I plan to apply? (FYI. HCM in Vietnam is cheaper to get to by plane than Vientiane in Laos. And Vientiane is so busy that it requires getting registered and getting an appointment sometimes as much as 2 weeks in advance. That's why I am picking HCM.) If I can do this this will solve my problem. Thanks again.  

HCMC is expensive to fly into after this year as Air Asia appear to have cancelled the route from CNX, Vietjet want 4,800bht return.

Air Asia still fly direct to Hanoi from CNX for around 3,000bht return, which may be the best destination for your VISA.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

HCMC is expensive to fly into after this year as Air Asia appear to have cancelled the route from CNX, Vietjet want 4,800bht return.

Air Asia still fly direct to Hanoi from CNX for around 3,000bht return, which may be the best destination for your VISA.

Thanks. Now that is good info!

40 minutes ago, BizMarkDee said:

Are you sure I can do that in particular at Ho Chi Minh where I plan to apply? (FYI. HCM in Vietnam is cheaper to get to by plane than Vientiane in Laos. And Vientiane is so busy that it requires getting registered and getting an appointment sometimes as much as 2 weeks in advance. 

I never said they would do one for being 50 or over in Ho Chi Minh City. As far as I know they do not issue them.

You can fly from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani on Nok Air. Then take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Khai to crossover to Vientiane.

Vientiane wants a police clearance and medical certificate to a apply for the non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. Both can be from here.

You don’t have to purchase thai health as foreign insurance can meet the Thai criteria...just require original policy and form letter from your insurance company...print it from a Thai consulate abroad 

if you plan to live part time in LOS might be best to get an O-A visa from your home country...that way no proof of Thai monies needed though other hoops you must jump through 

what I found out about the O-A is you can get almost 2 years out of an annual visa by returning to LOS just B/f visa expiration date...thai will stamp one year from date of arrival even though your visa might expire in a week - hence the 2nd year...what I don’t know is if you want to leave and return if a re entry permit keeps the extension alive even though your one year visa has expired...your O-A is a multiple entry visa which eliminates re entry permits at least that first year...

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I never said they would do one for being 50 or over in Ho Chi Minh City. As far as I know they do not issue them.

You can fly from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani on Nok Air. Then take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Khai to crossover to Vientiane.

Vientiane wants a police clearance and medical certificate to a apply for the non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. Both can be from here.

What are the financial requirement when going to Vientiane? I don't think the op has transferred the 800k

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ok thanks for clarifying. Because I don't think they issue them in Vietnam. I have been looking and I don't see non-immigrant O for retirement as being offered. Do I need special or particular forms for the police clearance and the medical certificate? 

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

You don’t have to purchase thai health as foreign insurance can meet the Thai criteria...just require original policy and form letter from your insurance company...print it from a Thai consulate abroad 

if you plan to live part time in LOS might be best to get an O-A visa from your home country...that way no proof of Thai monies needed though other hoops you must jump through 

what I found out about the O-A is you can get almost 2 years out of an annual visa by returning to LOS just B/f visa expiration date...thai will stamp one year from date of arrival even though your visa might expire in a week - hence the 2nd year...what I don’t know is if you want to leave and return if a re entry permit keeps the extension alive even though your one year visa has expired...your O-A is a multiple entry visa which eliminates re entry permits at least that first year...

Thanks for the insurance advice. 

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I have used Assist Thai Visa since they opened, and consider them a reputable and trustworthy company.

I personally believe that Frangs do not know the correct ways to deal with Thai Immigration Police Officers and an agent is best way to go.

john 

What is the going rate at Assist Thai Visa. 

I'm currently in Thailand on a business Visa + work permit. Working here.

If I decide to retire in Thailand I plan to have the 800k plus... Will o get rejected because the 800k did not come from overseas? It would come from my salary from the Thai company that employs me.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I'm currently in Thailand on a business Visa + work permit. Working here.

If I decide to retire in Thailand I plan to have the 800k plus... Will o get rejected because the 800k did not come from overseas? It would come from my salary from the Thai company that employs me.

No requirement to show it came from overseas for a retirement extension. Check if your local office is prepared to make a retirement ext on a Non-Imm-B, not all do!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BizMarkDee said:
9 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

If you obtain a new O-A visa at home, you will be subject to the new law requiring you to purchase Thai health insurance.  Went into effect on 31 October.  It's suboptimal insurance and overpriced.  

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to obtain a new O-A visa using the income method.

Thank you. And yes I knew about the health insurance. But not that it is overpriced and suboptimal. Thanks for that info. 

When applying for an O-A in your home country you can use your existing insurance if the insurance company will fill out the required form.  If you do not have insurance already you might as well get one of the approved ones because when you go to extend they are the only ones accepted.  Pacific Cross has several different plans that are approved for extensions, not just the longstay version they offer.  Where it says maximum coverage that is per disability per year, not just a per year total.  Artboard 1

20 minutes ago, BizMarkDee said:

ou don’t have to purchase thai health as foreign insurance can meet the Thai criteria...just require original policy and form letter from your insurance company...print it from a Thai consulate abroad 

Just beware that going this route is a gamble if planning on using foreign insurance to get the O-A as the certificate has to be signed by two board members from the insurance co. and they must state that you will have the required 400k/40k coverage. 

From what I have read this is nearly impossible and I recall reading only one account from someone who was successful in getting the required signatures/coverage letter etc. (I think he was German or Canadian but I cannot remember).

If you banked on going this route and could not get the certificate signed etc. then you would be in a pickle.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I have used Assist Thai Visa since they opened, and consider them a reputable and trustworthy company.

I personally believe that Frangs do not know the correct ways to deal with Thai Immigration Police Officers and an agent is best way to go.

john 

I just checked with Assist Thai Visa. The lady I talked to said that I need 800k in the bank. Without that I can not get the visa. This is the same as the agent at the Colonel across from CM immigration and the Immigration officer at Immigration. They seem to be in agreement on this point. Regardless if this is the true interpretation of the law or not. It doesn't matter what we think the law says. It seems like they have a working policy and I need to accept it. I don't have a lot of confidence that it will be any different in Vientiane.

16 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Just beware that going this route is a gamble if planning on using foreign insurance to get the O-A as the certificate has to be signed by two board members from the insurance co. and they must state that you will have the required 400k/40k coverage. 

From what I have read this is nearly impossible and I recall reading only one account from someone who was successful in getting the required signatures/coverage letter etc. (I think he was German or Canadian but I cannot remember).

If you banked on going this route and could not get the certificate signed etc. then you would be in a pickle.

The O-A  visa now almost ensures an escalating cost per year, with conditions which could force a departure from Thailand at some point in the future. It could well become a similar cost to the Elite Visa, the way things are now, depending on your personal details.

Lots of potential renewal dates, visa renewal, policy renewal, report dates, especially where the O-A holder may not be in Thailand all year. 

• Like 1

[ 2 or 3 months of proof of my 65,000+ pension income from abroad into a Thai Bank would be sufficient.]

I had the same problem; first time applying for the marriage extension, the IO said " Just get 3 months bank statement of the correct amount and then come back....when I went back, different story; now it's 12 months statements. Might be a good thing to start recording conversations, as it's impossible to prove any verbal information.  And I'll harp on a different subject again....The "requirement" that funds come from abroad is spurious because if you have an ATM card from the USA, it can only draw from an foreign source. So the requirement must be for some other, unknown reasoning process. For me, the amount is not/wasn't the problem, just a more expensive irritation.

Best to follow Ubonjoe's advice.  The O-A Visa is now a bag of worms.  All of my European friends are now entering on non-O visas.  These appear to be the least problematic in the future and, as Ubonjoe points out, can be extended with 1 or 2 months of transfers to a Thai bank from a foreign source.  Don't use the cheapie transfers but one that will assure that you get the "FTT" transfer code in your bankbook. Perhaps it would be wise to take a copy of the relevant Police order with you toimmigration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The police order allowing for monthly transfers was issued in December of last year. So certainly not new.

I think you need to try again. Just go in with a completed TM87 form and proof of your transfers into the country.

I think that is where his problem came from as it appears that he has been living in Thailand for a few years and what was expected was that his 65,000 should have started back in January and not just a couple of months ago and it would show in his passport that he has been living here and should have known what was required from when the laws changed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

Tourist visa to Non O to extension of stay,retirement, requires 800K ,seasoned 2 months and I believe from overseas.

It isn’t required to be “seasoned 2 months” to apply for the Non O. That is only required when applying for the extension of stay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BizMarkDee said:

That's what I thought, Joe. But what I said is what he said. He seems like he is the senior man at the front desk. I have seen him there for years. Through this process I have checked in with ThaiVisa to get advice. I believe you have helped me through your advice. When he denied me my first thought was that he was wrong. Could this be a very recent change? And I am one of the very early cases?

There is nothing to back up UJ’s opinion. There has been nothing published by immigration suggesting transfers into the bank can be used to apply for a Non O. Your actual experience ‘provisionally’ suggests he’s wrong.

IMO it’s wrong for CM not to accept transfers, but logic doesn’t always get applied. It could be that they didn’t think of this situation when issuing the new income rules and the ‘rule book’ hasn’t been updated/changed.

• Like 1