Why are phone prices on line so much cheaper?

homeseeker

I am currently researching to buy a new Samsung smart phone. I have visited a few outlets and have a couple of models in mind though need to do more research. I am not tech savvy.

I looked at the price of phones on line (eg Lazada) and some of the prices compared to the shops are cheaper by two-thirds and more. This sounds too good to be true.

Is it?

Thanks for any answers!

I guess phones sold in shops have to be more expensive to cover the cost of the shop/staff. They are often shown with the RRP. Many phones can be imported without going through the main dealerships and are therefore much cheaper. For example i have just bought a OnePlus phone via Lazada for 17,700 baht but the RRP from the Official OnePlus store is 25,000. 

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can also get very good prices at the phone company shops like i.e. DTAC.

Recently I bought a new Samsung phone I think for 1500B. The normal retail price was more than 4000B. All I needed was a monthly contract with DTAC which I had anyhow already.

Finally a sensible man that do not throw in a wad of cash for a phone. ???? 

Galaxy รุ่น A70 Ram 8GB Rom 128GB 
Brand: Samsung

More Mobiles from SamsungFree Shipping

฿4,690.00
฿9,990.00-53%

To answer black Cab o see price on Lazada… but 2 shops quoted me respectively 13,000 and 14,000 bht...

Too good to be true ?

Thx the replies so far!

On 11/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, homeseeker said:

Too good to be true ?

Just look at the ratings, then you will see that it's a fake.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, homeseeker said:

but 2 shops quoted me respectively 13,000 and 14,000 bht...

The official Samsung shop is selling it for 11,990

Many of the Lazada vendor are getting stock from other Asian countries... These are grey market phones most likely flown into a Thailand in people luggage... So there is no VAT being charged... I bought a Galaxy S10 from a vendor for less than 20k a few months ago... It was new in box but was in Korean so I had to change the language to English... but other than that it’s a great phone...

On 11/22/2019 at 11:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

All I needed was a monthly contract with DTAC which I had anyhow already.

And the Samsung A70 is 9990 or 10490 at DTAC.

I would be cautious if online shops offer it for much less.

Lazada is full of fakes. Really disturbing.

Filter for "Local", "fullfilled by Lazada" and OOPS:

one offer for 12490!

Recently I bought a new Samsung phone I think for 1500B. The normal retail price was more than 4000B. All I needed was a monthly contract with DTAC which I had anyhow already.

This is a very common practice worldwide. Sometimes you can even get the phone for free. My new smartphone is tied to True at a 3rd of its normal price, which is no problem for me because I already have True internet/TV. I get the SIM for free and free browsing when I'm away from home. I just pay for the calls.

If it’s too cheap there’s usually a reason and that would generally be because it’s a fake. I bought a Samsung on eBay last month and saved about 10%. The seller was legitimate. Phone was verified by Samsung when they set it up moving all my stuff from my previous phone. Buying online can be safe if you research properly

I know how they do this because my business is in a similar industry.

• These sellers are NOT authorized by Samsung, so they do not have to sell at any MSRP or Minimum Advertised Price and they have no quotas/inventory requirements from the manufacturer. In other words, they are arbitraging between markets.
  • They are not paying import duty or VAT, which is a huge percentage of the cost you pay for most electronics in Thailand
  • They are not offering a real manufacturer's warranty unless you return the phone to the origin country (likely)
  • The phone itself MIGHT be running a version of the operating system from a foreign country that doesn't fully support Thai (or worst case, maybe only supports Chinese/Korean, etc)

Despite the above, they very well may be selling a fully authentic and functional phone at a better deal the the manufacturer will sell. If you can verify through reviews the product is legit and the seller is established, these kind of deals can save a ton of money.

There are many Chinese fake copies available.  You have to be tech savvy to know the difference.  I recently was in the Philippines where I was offered Samsung S10 + phones for $100.00.  They looked good but the performance was terrible. I bought a Google Pixel 3a XL for a very good price from Lazada.  The phone was definitely legitimate.  The seller in Bangkok actually phoned me to tell me that the color that I wanted was not in stock and would I accept a different color.  

On 11/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Matzzon said:

Finally a sensible man that do not throw in a wad of cash for a phone. ???? 

Yes then get a second Sim card from Line. At 192 baht a month, 5GB of roaming WiFi and 150 minutes of calls a month, which I never use all of!!!! And if you recommend friends you both get savings!!

Yes, but you only can use a DTAC Sim card (or True or wherever you bought the phone). If you want to travel abroad, you can´t use these phones.

Never buy phones from operators,they are full of bloatware and many social media apps and other useless apps are preinstalled and can not be uninstalled. These phones are for thai people with no clue about phones what so ever. 

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, but you only can use a DTAC Sim card (or True or wherever you bought the phone). If you want to travel abroad, you can´t use these phones.

What sim card can you buy that you can use abroad? I have DTAC prepaid and it is a DTAC sim.

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Yes then get a second Sim card from Line. At 192 baht a month, 5GB of roaming WiFi and 150 minutes of calls a month, which I never use all of!!!! And if you recommend friends you both get savings!!

How do you purchase that?

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

What sim card can you buy that you can use abroad? I have DTAC prepaid and it is a DTAC sim.

You can´t use the phone abroad. The phones you get cheaper with a contract at DTAC, True, etc. much cheaper than in normal shops are blocked for other cards. I don´t know if it´s the same with your phone. 

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

You can´t use the phone abroad. The phones you get cheaper with a contract at DTAC, True, etc. much cheaper than in normal shops are blocked for other cards. I don´t know if it´s the same with your phone. 

Oh! Similar to America

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Oh! Similar to America

Same to all counties in the world. They don´t earn money with selling the phone, they earn money with the fact that you only can use their card when you telephone. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Never buy phones from operators,they are full of bloatware and many social media apps and other useless apps are preinstalled and can not be uninstalled. These phones are for thai people with no clue about phones what so ever. 

I understand your concern. But in this case that was not the case. The phone had the basic apps which it needs and not much more.

But important, I asked the staff to just give me the closed box. They asked me if they should install applications and I told them I will do that myself. I don't know what they would have installed if I would have let them...

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand your concern. But in this case that was not the case. The phone had the basic apps which it needs and not much more.

But important, I asked the staff to just give me the closed box. They asked me if they should install applications and I told them I will do that myself. I don't know what they would have installed if I would have let them...

They would have installed Line, WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger, that type of apps. That's what they do for thai people if they aren't pre-installed.

7 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

A Samsung Galaxy S10+ at Chi Chang in CM is presently THB 35,400, at Lazada THB 25,790. I don't think the Lazada one is genuine.

They may be real. That same phone is available for between 17,000 and 21,000 baht on ebay from sellers with great feedback. In the US. Just be careful with grey market sellers and make sure the warranty is valid worldwide. 

In my opinion that is the best phone available today. It makes the new iPhone look like a toy. And I love most apple products. But, their phones are really lacking on many levels. 

Archived