Video reveals how Chinese fraudsters installed a skimmer on an ATM in Chonburi

webfact

Video reveals how Chinese fraudsters installed a skimmer on an ATM in Chonburi

6pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A video posted on Facebook shows why you should be vigilant when using an ATM.

The video reveals how fraudsters installed a skimmer on an ATM in Chonburi in order to steal card information.

The video shows how the device was installed to the inside of a panel on the ATM.

The skimmer, which is almost impossible to spot, then records the card details and PIN number of anyone using the ATM.

On Thursday, Chonburi police released the video as they announced the arrest of two Chinese men who were found to be in possession of 111 fake ATM cards.

They were arrested at a room in the Ban Bueng district, where as well as the fake cards, police also discovered a laptop computer, ATM skimming and other devices.

Police said the pair entered Thailand on 17 November on tourist visas.

Upon questioning police said the pair admitted that the skimming device was a prototype which was being tested in Thailand before it was due to be sold on the black market in China.

The arrests came after police were contacted by the team responsible for card fraud prevention at the bank.

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-22

Some banks, such as SCB, allow customers to withdraw cash from one of their ATMs without using a card. This is now my preferred method as there is nothing for the skimmers to steal. You also don't have to carry your bank card with you everywhere.

The downside is you can only use your own bank's machines; you must have internet banking and you must use the bank's mobile app (which means you must have an internet signal a few minutes before you withdraw the cash).

25 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Some banks, such as SCB, allow customers to withdraw cash from one of their ATMs without using a card. This is now my preferred method as there is nothing for the skimmers to steal. You also don't have to carry your bank card with you everywhere......

Make sure you cover your phone a little bit when you are typing your pin on your phone.  And close out app when you are finished withdrawing.  Maximum security.

But it is a nice way to have ATM withdrawal access without having a card (within Thailand).   It also saves time at the ATM. 

26 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The downside is you can only use your own bank's machines; you must have internet banking and you must use the bank's mobile app (which means you must have an internet signal a few minutes before you withdraw the cash).

this would be true regardless of the app used.  The app must communicate with the bank somehow.  So you need either wifi or mobile internet connection.

Kasikorn bank K+ app also has ability to request 7-eleven withdrawals.   I have not tested it yet though.

I do hope that they open cardless withdrawals up to inter-bank requests. With the physical card, you get 3 non-same bank atm withdrawals for free if they are in-province (my experience).

In the mean time, the workaround is to transfer funds to the bank account of the bank that has a working cardless withdrawal, and then withdrawal with that bank.  domestic bank-to-bank transfers online are free.

Two Chinese ATM skimmers arrested in Chon Buri

By THE NATION

800_8ad20549459876a.jpg?v=1574405949

Pol Lt Gen Montri Yimyaem, Region 2 Police Commissioner together with officers from Pattaya City police station in Chon Buri province on Thursday (November 21) announced the arrest of Zuo Guobing, 40, and Li Shengxiu, 31, both Chinese nationals, for allegedly using skimming equipment to copy and transfer user data from several ATM machines in the Chon Buri area.

A search of the residences of both suspects in Pattaya City found four ATM skimmer sets that are inserted into the card slots to copy user data, two miniature cameras used to capture the user’s PIN while being input into the ATM, and 110 blank ATM cards onto which the suspects said they intended to download stolen data and then use them together with stolen PINs to withdraw the money from victims’ accounts.

S__3260470(1).jpg

“The preliminary investigation revealed that the two suspects arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport on November 17 on a visa-free entry stamp,” said Pol. Lt. Gen. Montri. “They also confessed to buying the equipment from an underground website in China and smuggling it into the kingdom in their luggage.”

Police said they received information from the Card Fraud Protection Department at Siam Commercial Bank that its ATM had detected foreign equipment being installed. This led to the arrest of two suspects, who after being charged with electronic card forgery, were sent to Pattaya City police station for processing.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378636

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-22

Yeah but I don't think they consider those Chinese guys the same as us bad western expats. I try to always use in the open un obscured ATM's and cover my fingers with my wallet when typing the code in. Nothing is failsafe though. And if you guys thing electronic phone to ATM way is the best, then how do you think cars are stolen with keyless entries. So there will be a way to trap your info someway any way you use it at some time or the other coming up.

From the video obviously an antique magnetic stripe skimmer.

Maybe even the last loungers will now hurry to their bank and exchange it for a chip card!.

PIN entry still visible with an overhead camera but no known way to copy and do a duplicate.

Overhead camera: that's why you see these signs with the left hand hiding your entry.

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

Kasikorn bank K+ app also has ability to request 7-eleven withdrawals.   

probably won't be able to do it. I tried to do a deposit, at a 7-11, into my own bank account, I had my bank book and passport but was told 'No can, must be Thai person with Thai ID'

14 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but I don't think they consider those Chinese guys the same as us bad western expats. I try to always use in the open un obscured ATM's and cover my fingers with my wallet when typing the code in. Nothing is failsafe though. And if you guys thing electronic phone to ATM way is the best, then how do you think cars are stolen with keyless entries. So there will be a way to trap your info someway any way you use it at some time or the other coming up.

no cardless for me …. as wireless readers are a long time available someone a few meters away can intercept ….. oh digital world...!,Hence in the west that payment system is for limited amounts around 15 €,not for higher amounts .

I simple use 2 bank accounts ,1 strictly limited use and card stays safe home , number 2 loaded by number 1 online banking ,and just loaded with what I think needed for day /week month ….or when I need to buy some big thing then short notice time big load on that card number 2 just for the purchase , and that is even on the sms notice (KK bank) wit drawl warning

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

no cardless for me …. as wireless readers are a long time available someone a few meters away can intercept

You have a completely wrong idea how cardless ATM works.

Don't mix it up with "contactless" card payment (NFC or the like).

You would have to intercept secured internet connection with the bank.

Good luck with that and tell us how.

The exchange of withdrawal request and receiving payment code is via the internet banking app on the mobile.

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You have a completely wrong idea how cardless ATM works.

Don't mix it up with "contactless" card payment (NFC or the like).

You would have to intercept secured internet connection with the bank.

Good luck with that and tell us how.

The exchange of withdrawal request and receiving payment code is via the internet banking app on the mobile.

I Made wrong expression as I meant contactless , you are right , but waiting for the first scammers who find a "work around " for that , fingerprint reader in combination with a pin looks for me the best if possible & introduced 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon questioning police said the pair admitted that the skimming device was a prototype which was being tested in Thailand before it was due to be sold on the black market in China.

Chinese entrepreneurs... Thailand welcomes them with open arms!

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Thank you for catching those bastards.

Just two of them? Did they get them on their TM30's?

Shouldn't the BiB be out chasing bad drivers and drug smugglers?

Or are Chinese skimmers different to begpackers?

Rhetorical question of course. ????

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

Ahhhh......the proverbial clip. ????

16 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

They should be sent back to China to receive the normal Chinese treatment for habitual criminals ???? One behind the ear !

The Chinese Authorities have no interest what so ever in their citizens comitting crimes in other countries

Archived